10.85.2-mac window frozen: options restart/quit - nothing works

Go to solution Solved by s2sailor,

Hello,

Am in emergency mode as Evernote is now suddenly not working. Everything was fine- but then the main window went blurry and a pop up came:

"Something when wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote"  with 2 options Restart/Quit.

I have done both, I have killed the process. I have rebooted. I have downloaded (again) the latest version and restarted.

Nothing works.

When it starts - I can see the window fine - with all the notes etc... but then within 2 seconds it goes blurry and evernote is frozen.

I have submitted a report to evernote. But how do you know if there are any humans who care, who look at them and respond?

I am in a horrible state with 2 projects due by the end of the week and no Evernote which is the tool I use to produce my work.

Any suggestions?

😞

• Level 5*
  • Solution
49 minutes ago, robinrobin said:

Any suggestions?

Uninstall again but this time use Appcleaner,  it does a better job removing everything, and then download directly from the Evernote website and reinstall.

• Like 1

Alternatively, you could try using the web client (go to evernote.com and log in there) and see if that works.  If it does, you could use the web client to get past your deadline.  After that, you can follow @s2sailor's excellent suggestion to do a complete uninstall.

Vinnie

• Like 1
3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Uninstall again but this time use Appcleaner,  it does a better job removing everything, and then download directly from the Evernote website and reinstall.

ok .. THX!.  I have one question - does this wipe your data?  I have run it and it says it found 210gb. (There must be duplicate databases there.)

• Level 5

Yes, it needs to wipe the local data.

You can check whether there are duplicates. Look up the database path in the Finder - XXX is your user name (it likely is a hidden folder, you need to unhide it if it is not already done):

/Users/XXX/Library/Application Support/Evernote

If you see more than one user in this location (arrow), you have either several accounts registered, or several database duplicates.

image.png.c689583f18564740aa9f3a7f453695e9.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, robinrobin said:

does this wipe your data?

Yes, as also mentioned above.  Please note that it may take a while to completely download your database.  It should be useable right away but it will run slowly until everything is downloaded and stabilized.

thank you @s2sailor & @PinkElephant & @VincentC!  It is working now.  I think the same thing is about to happen to my other computer. I wonder if they changed something in the software that is exacerbating something. I guess this was a good exercise as I think somehow during many software changes I wound up with multiple copies of the database. It cleaned 210gb.  🙂

• Like 3