GDPR data request not processed

Hi, I filled several requests to get my data according to GDPR bit Evernote does not process my requests and ignores my communication. Has anybody ever managed to get their data?

• Level 5

@worker7 opposite to other services who harvest and market user data, EN hold exactly the data you have in your account: Your notes, your login and your payment information. The data is not used for any other purpose than what is disclosed - providing you with the service you have decided to use.

You already have what you want.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

"Data portability" is catered for in that many third-party apps will accept Evernote's ENEX out put and there are PDF, and HTML options too.

1 hour ago, Cvh said:

for example as a csv file.

Not sure what you'd do with a CSV file containing thousands of images and text...

On 4/15/2024 at 10:58 AM, PinkElephant said:

@worker7 opposite to other services who harvest and market user data, EN hold exactly the data you have in your account: Your notes, your login and your payment information. The data is not used for any other purpose than what is disclosed - providing you with the service you have decided to use.

You already have what you want.

I’d use it to import into another service not breaking the law of course! That is the purpose of the data portability right, to not lock me into a service by not allowing me to access my data. Third-party solutions are not acceptable. Nor are solutions that only export one note at a time (edit: evernote do apparently allow 100 notes but that is not acceptable either).

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Cvh said:

I’d use it to import into another service not breaking the law of course! That is the purpose of the data portability right, to not lock me into a service by not allowing me to access my data. Third-party solutions are not acceptable. Nor are solutions that only export one note at a time (edit: evernote do apparently allow 100 notes but that is not acceptable either).

Hair splitting remains hair splitting. There is no rule that a service must provide the data free of a (reasonable) charge, or in a way different from those designed for the service. And for sure not because the user wanting the data proves to be unable to read the available documentation, that is.

1) You can export your data yourself, even on the Free Plan, by notebooks, no matter how big

2) You can still export your data for Free if you use one of the desktop clients (provided to you for Free, imagine ! ). It may take a little effort from your side if currently you use a client that is not a desktop client: You need to skip the device used by now, and authorize yourself on the desktop client.

3) If (2) is too much for you to achieve, you can subscribe for a month, and ADD a desktop client to your devices, instead of needing to unsync another one first. Same procedure from here, export by notebook.

However, much you claim this is Ok and I can do this that or the other, it is a GDPR right that I have that I should be able to obtain a copy  of all my data in a machine readable format, as is quite clear from the link above. Evernote have ignored that request for me. This right exists because services can lock you in otherwise by holding your data to ransom (i.e. force you to pay to access it) and prevent you moving to a competitor. I don’t have data organised in a way that makes this possible though other solutions (its not in in notebooks, it’s old data from a very old account back long before free accounts had today’s limits) and FWIW, I don’t think I can get access to a desktop client, even if I paid, as (I think) they only provide them for windows and mac. 

I’ll report Evernote of course, but the ICO (the body that deals with these violations in my country) has limited resources and I don’t imagine for one moment this is a priority for them.

edit: yep, it’s 14 weeks before you might even get someone in the ICO to look at a complaint, so in the meantime I guess it’s chip away at downloading notes until I can delete my account and get away from a service that doesn’t provide adequate data portability.

edit 2: and yes, of course I’m annoyed with myself for keeping data in a proprietary system without a backup  But can’t underdo me doing something stupid 10 years ago  

• Level 5

You can obtain your personal copy YOURSELF which makes the flood of words you utter worthless. 

You can export every content via the export function in HTML format. This data can be read with every browser, which means the maximum of portability. All personal data stored is on your account pages.

The whole case you try to construct is on a wrong footing from the start: GDPR is made to protect citizens from services hoarding their data without consent and invisible. 

In case of EN everything in your account has been hoarded by yourself. 

The GDPR request is exactly NOT for such a personal data stock. Your data is available for yourself (as the rightful owner), and you can move it YOURSELF wherever you want.

Which means you are obliged to use the options available for you before you can start making complains and requests.

• Level 5

I had no vanishing of information on HTML. Where information gets lost (because the attachments can’t be embedded into the exported file) is when using PDF export. This export format was not suggested here.

If one doesn’t want to use HTML, there is always ENEX. It’s not as easy to read, but it’s better for importing the notes again, be it into an EN account or many other note taking apps. If somebody wants to switch apps, it’s advisable to first identify which app, and then check which import formats are supported.

But that was not the question here.