After the recent upgrade my Legacy notes are in HTML Content boxes and they cannot be edited.

After the recent upgrade, my Legacy notes are in HTML Content boxes and they cannot be edited. Also, some of the formatting has been removed e.g. numbering. If I try to copy the content out of the box the formatting gets removed. Plus, some of the notes cannot be copied as they are too big.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, rdboucher said:

After the recent upgrade, my Legacy notes are in HTML Content boxes and they cannot be edited. Also, some of the formatting has been removed e.g. numbering. If I try to copy the content out of the box the formatting gets removed. Plus, some of the notes cannot be copied as they are too big.

Click on the HTML box and you should see this.

image.png.15af4a9b8cb485bdbb8f30af063ee3a7.png

Clicking on the simplify and make editable icon (left one) will open this for editing.

• Level 5*

Are all of your notes in the HTML content boxes, or only web clips?  It has been a while since I moved over but I don't recall all of them being converted.

• Level 5

From my legacy conversion: Only web clips show as such, anything else shows as regular notes. Maybe the formatting is changed, mainly because of the different font, but only clips from the internet will be in the web clip containers.

If of course a user has mainly web clips, it looks as if all notes are not showing the web clip containers.

No, forwarded emails with html content are also in these containers. It’s very problematic if you do a lot of web clipping and email forwarding. I’ve been trying hard not to be one of the people complaining constantly about everything to do with v.10, but it’s difficult when every discovery I’m making as I continue to use it and learn more about it is negative. 

Edited to add: a note that included a web clip, or a forwarded email with html content, is placed *entirely* in the html container, including any text comment added to the beginning of the note after it was added to Evernote legacy after clipping or forwarding. So you can’t even edit your comments that were totally outside the html content,

• Level 5

The HTML container serves to save the content in an immutable form. If the edits in legacy were entered directly into the HTML section, they are simply treated as part of the containerized content. EN has no way to distinguish between original and added content.

Take the HTML container as it is. If you want to edit it (including prior edits), you need to simplify it first. Since you loose the original look & feel when you simplify, it can make sense to duplicate the note first, then merge the 2 notes, and simplify one of the 2 web clips contained.

But there’s something more to this, because v.10 is also putting *new* web clips in these html content boxes, not just converted html notes. Legacy did not do this. If I wanted to add a comment in the middle of a clipped page, or highlight a term in forwarded email with html content, or delete an unwanted image in a clipped article, I could do that in all versions of legacy that I ever used, *without* eliminating all the html formatting. I can’t touch anything inside the html content boxes in v.10. This, for me at least, is a big change. It’s not just to keep the original note content from legacy notes  “immutable” - which makes no sense anyway, as notes by their nature should be editable, not immutable. It’s a change to the way html notes are handled, unless I’m missing something. Why should *all* html formatting be stripped in order to make a single edit to one portion of a clipped page? This isn’t necessary, as evident from legacy. And it isn’t really in the spirit of Evernote.

I mean, I’ll live with it, because I have no choice, and I can find ways to work around it. But why do i have to? Why do I keep finding ways in which Evernote has become less flexible, less user-friendly, less of thr things that made it so broadly adaptable and all-purpose? Other than uniformity among platforms, I’m desperately searching for *any* way in which I can say v.10 is an improvement, lets me do something useful I couldn’t do before, makes something easier or quicker, offers some useful new functionality. I really would like to discover some, rather than yet another unpleasant surprise! Right now all I’m doing is trying to find workarounds for and adapt to the many things that v.10 makes more difficult or time-consuming, or prevents me from doing entirely.

• Level 5

Sure, the web clip containers are there from the very start of v10. I think they area basic design decision taken early in the development of the new app.

EN notes are basically small websites, based on a simplified flavor of HTML. Probably thereafter 2 explanations why these web clip containers were introduced:

They shield the note from HTML code that may be embedded into a clipped or imported HTML content.

Putting them into a container allowed to streamline the development of the new editor.

I doubt this concept decision can be changed easily. So IMHO you would do better to learn to live with it.

• Level 5

@justacat , the introduction of the "boxed" HTML content from Web clips was a fairly early change in v. 10 from previous versions. As @PinkElephant says, it was much discussed and debated at the time. Since then, we early, mid-, and fairly late adopters have adjusted to it, and some even find it handy to retain the appearance of the original Web page, while either duplicating it or copying material out of the box and editing as needed. As with quite a few other changes, last-minute adopters are getting the full waterfall at once rather than the relatively gentle showers the rest of us have been standing under. I think Evernote is still very flexible and adaptable to different purposes, but "user friendly" only comes with experience. My 2¢.

17 hours ago, justacat said:

Other than uniformity among platforms, I’m desperately searching for *any* way in which I can say v.10 is an improvement, lets me do something useful I couldn’t do before, makes something easier or quicker, offers some useful new functionality.

My third cent: since you do lots of Web clipping, have you tried the new Multi-Select option? There's about a 3-minute learning curve, but as you hover the mouse around the screen you'll see it pick out smaller and larger segments and let you build them into just the material you want to clip. Still in the box, but way better than having a whole page of which you only want parts--and then editing out the unwanted bits.

For me the killer new feature has been backlinks. They really help me connect notes. Often I'll intentionally click on a note other than the one I want just because it's in front of me on the screen and I know it has a backlink to the note I'm really after. Worth trying it out, if it could be useful for you.

1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@justacat , the introduction of the "boxed" HTML content from Web clips was a fairly early change in v. 10 from previous versions. As @PinkElephant says, it was much discussed and debated at the time. Since then, we early, mid-, and fairly late adopters have adjusted to it, and some even find it handy to retain the appearance of the original Web page, while either duplicating it or copying material out of the box and editing as needed. As with quite a few other changes, last-minute adopters are getting the full waterfall at once rather than the relatively gentle showers the rest of us have been standing under. I think Evernote is still very flexible and adaptable to different purposes, but "user friendly" only comes with experience. My 2¢.

My third cent: since you do lots of Web clipping, have you tried the new Multi-Select option? There's about a 3-minute learning curve, but as you hover the mouse around the screen you'll see it pick out smaller and larger segments and let you build them into just the material you want to clip. Still in the box, but way better than having a whole page of which you only want parts--and then editing out the unwanted bits.

For me the killer new feature has been backlinks. They really help me connect notes. Often I'll intentionally click on a note other than the one I want just because it's in front of me on the screen and I know it has a backlink to the note I'm really after. Worth trying it out, if it could be useful for you.

*Thank you* for this!! It is so much more helpful than the vast majority of responses I've seen. There is a body of late adopters, and for us, or me at least, it is a waterfall of changes that feel uncomfortable and like they make everything more difficult, with no easy way to pick up on features that may either help me adapt or make me actually like v.10. I don't have time to go back through years of forum posts, and there's no "v.10 quick-start for late adopters"! So I really appreciate you making an effort to help!

Thr multi-select option does sound useful. Is it n the (desktop) clipper? This is a  browser extension right? I can't even remember I've been using the same one for so long! I am still using the legacy one, which works fine for v.10, but if the new one has some good features maybe it's time to make that change.

I keep seeing references to backlinks, but I have to admit I don't know what they are.

• Level 5
33 minutes ago, justacat said:

Thr multi-select option does sound useful. Is it n the (desktop) clipper? This is a  browser extension right? I can't even remember I've been using the same one for so long! I am still using the legacy one, which works fine for v.10, but if the new one has some good features maybe it's time to make that change.

I keep seeing references to backlinks, but I have to admit I don't know what they are.

I'm glad that was helpful. I think a lot of us who picked up on v. 10 awhile back (I waited a year or two for it to become really functional, and only gradually transitioned over) may forget what a lot we have learned over a longer time--and sometimes feel an all-too-human urge to say, "Well, you could have done this last year." We're here now, though, and you're right, the earlier adopters are kind of the tutorial.

WRT the Web clipper, I'm not sure if that has been developed on the same timetable as v. 10. It is a browser extension, and I suppose the easiest way to make sure you're up to date would be to have your browser check for a newer version, or delete it and reinstall fresh. The one persistent aggravation with the recent iterations of the clipper has been that "smart filing" has gotten really dumb: even if you have it turned on in Settings, it will offer to send every clip to your default notebook. You can change that at the time of clipping or later in the clipped note, but it's a minor aggravation.

Backlinks are created automatically every time you put a link to one note inside another. If you're typing in note A and insert a link to note B, then when you view note B you'll see a gray Backlinks button at the top with a clickable link back to note A. (Both notes do need to sync for this; the backlink is generated on the Evernote servers.) For me they're really one of the best additions in v. 10: automatic, no muss no fuss, and unobtrusive in the interface.