Evernote cheating on prices

I was charged with new price for Personal plan a couple of days ago. It was 129.99$ which converts to about 540 PLN in Polish Zloty. 

I then started to check the issue in details. It turns out that EV is quite shamelessly cheating us on prices. 

When they announced price increase in April last year in a blog post, they also attached a detailed catalogue of new prices in various currencies. In this catalogue, as you can see in the attached screenshots, the price of 129,99$ is just the one in USD. The prices in other currencies differ. E.g. the prices in PLN is just 179,99 PLN which would be about 40-50 USD. And I should pay this prices as EN has my location information, and also my billing data showing that I live in Poland. 

I checked what price I'd be presented with when going through the plans offer currently showing for my country. And you know what? The site showing for Poland (Polish IP) shows the offer of 179,99 PLN. When I click "Personal plan", I am transferred to the site which would charge me 10,83 USD per month times 12, which gives... 129 USD. 

In short: EN presented us with a new pricing scheme which would and should be different depending on our country of residence but when you are charged, you will always pay the same highest price in USD. No matter when you reside. 

I consider it cheating. If this was a Polish company, it would definitely be a case for our customers' ombudsman office. 

Zrzut ekranu 2024-03-31 123747.jpg

EN plans.jpg

Cena USD.jpg

Cena Polska.jpg

• Sad 1

I know you @PinkElephantas a rule justify anything the EN company does. And I admire the swiftness of your reaction (less than 10 minutes). 

I'm not writing here looking for support. I've started a separate topic to show the community how the company is treating its customers, and how dishonest it is. I deem it important that people realise what the situation is and also start mailing the support. 

• Thanks 4
  • Level 5

You are emotionally engaged.

To me this looks like the usual situation that can emerge between different websites in any multinational sales organization. It’s practically never organized cheating, it’s simply a problem to keep information in sync.

If everything would be handled based on legality, you would get your cheap subscription - and likely a lawsuit for public badmouthing instead of sorting out your individual issue with the company.

I am pretty sure the first will happen, and you will be spared the second. But again it’s your obligation to contact support, instead of pursuing your private vendetta.

• Haha 3

I will mercifully spare saying what I think about your activities on this forum lest I'm being especially rude. 

What I would suggest to everyone here would be to consequently ignore your replies and treat you as a troll. 

Over and out. 

• Level 5*

If anyone is dissatisfied with the amount they have been charged for their latest subscription,  they have 2 options - 

1. Request a refund (within,  I believe,  60 days) and find another provider
  2. Ask -politely- for an explanation - it's quite possible that a mistake was made somewhere along the line.  If so,  Evernote will fix it.

Accusations of cheating are a little premature unless we're going to get a flood of "this happened to me" posts here - and just before the little Troll army that I know watches the forums for any chance to snipe starts sharpening their rhetoric - further posts without a support ticket number to confirm that Evernote have been approached for one or other of the above may be deleted without notice.

Bending Spoons are a government contractor in Italy and one of the larger commercial IT companies in Europe.

• Like 1

But of course I've already reached out to support. I haven't got any ticket number though, just a general message which I paste below, to which I replied, so far without any further reaction but it was less than 24 hours ago. 

I really do not care about where BS is a government contractor and how large company it is. I do care though about how its customers are treated as I am one of them. If they first increase the prices enormously, and then they aren't capable of controlling their own offer and who pays how much, it's not the best recommendation. 

image.thumb.png.c0c406e67620eecf37306f76ac7a282f.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You got advise how to ask for a refund. 

What are you waiting for ? You need to be nannied by forum members through every step of the process ?

If you want something else, you should again go through the support process, to receive a ticket number. No ticket number, no access to the support system.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You got advise how to ask for a refund. 

What are you waiting for ? You need to be nannied by forum members through every step of the process ?

If you want something else, you should again go through the support process, to receive a ticket number. No ticket number, no access to the support system.

people deserve to know how BS treats the customers.

• Level 5

Do "they" ? 

If I say, this and that has happened, nobody will say it doesn't.

If this is mixed with weird conspiracy theories like "this was done intentionally to mislead me", it is unjust.

Or do you have any proof for this ?

Perhaps it was an error, not a conspiracy. They recently redesigned their website. Maybe there was a mistake with the localized billing for Poland. I suggest OP contact support, explain they live in Poland and were billed in USD and request to be billed in their currency.

There are a lot of different regional currencies they support and perhaps with this particular currency a mistake was made.

This is most likely a billing error and before jumping to conclusions give support a chance to fix things. Regardless they honor a 60 day refund policy. I recently needed sales tax refunded for my job and had to wait a while but they provided the partial refund no problem.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Do "they" ? 

Yes, they do. Not everyone will check their accounts and therefore might pay more than they would have to according to their country's plan.

So yes, they should know. I wouldn't call it a fraud but it is simply careless for a company to not check they charge what they advertizse.

• Like 1