Just making sure that my eyes aren't deceiving me, and that there is no way to auto delete (or very easily manually delete) completed tasks? This seems too basic to be real, so i just wanted to check in before I change my software. Thanks for your help.

There is certainly no option to automatically delete a task on completion.

You haven't said what your workflow is so it is difficult to comment on the easiest way of manually deleting. If you are working with a list of tasks in the task view window then the easiest way is probably to open the task rather than complete it (click on the task name). You can then complete it in the task pop up and then press "Delete task" at the bottom.

image.png.963ee8d1132a11d04246ffafd09e1b14.png

Personally I use the option to hide completed tasks inthe task view and then periodically clear out completed tasks from notes so they don't really get i my way

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the response. Can you help me understand how to Hide completed tasks, like you mentioned? That’s what I’d like to do but haven’t been able to figure it out. 

On Desktop and Web -- deselect the 'Show completed' under the ellipses button:

image.png.da2dd2c2ffa6b2bfaa2a0e8f2f1fb0aa.png

It's similar on mobile: Tasks -> ellipses -> View options -> Show completed tasks

• Like 3

Ah - For tasks in a single note, can't you just select them all with the mouse (click and drag) and then press the delete key?.. As long as they are grouped altogether?

Your usage of tasks is probably different from mine. I love the Tasks feature, but I'll typically only have a maximum of 2 or 3 tasks per note. If I have a bunch of todos in a singular note then I'm probably going to use checklists for that.

Also, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing:

image.png.35f794c45c3e5759320a84b8b0c764d4.png

?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, paulwilfer said:

No task can be deleted after completion.

Tasks can,  in fact,  be deleted even if marked completed.  Please don't post nonsense here.

The quickest way to delete a task completely is to use SHIFT + Up/Down on the keyboard to select one or more tasks and then just use Backspace to delete, as you would with any other text. Alternatively, you can click into the Task text and then click the Trash/Bin icon that appears to the right.

CleanShot2024-04-03at16_31.52@2x.thumb.png.409b7568cdf78e03c607418ea257168e.png

I guess if you have a lot of tasks in a note (Errands or Todo List) then you may want to just clear these out, but often I add one or two tasks to a Note reminding me to do something that requires the context in the Notes content - like Actions from Meeting Notes or follow up a refund for an online purchase etc. I tend to leave this in the note so I can see it's been taken care of.

• Like 3
On 3/29/2024 at 1:01 PM, Boot17 said:

Ah - For tasks in a single note, can't you just select them all with the mouse (click and drag) and then press the delete key?.. As long as they are grouped altogether?

Your usage of tasks is probably different from mine. I love the Tasks feature, but I'll typically only have a maximum of 2 or 3 tasks per note. If I have a bunch of todos in a singular note then I'm probably going to use checklists for that.

Also, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing:

image.png.35f794c45c3e5759320a84b8b0c764d4.png

?

Yes you're correct - I use my individual lists as To Do task lists (like the Apple reminder app sort of)

10 hours ago, Ant Cooper said:

The quickest way to delete a task completely is to use SHIFT + Up/Down on the keyboard to select one or more tasks and then just use Backspace to delete, as you would with any other text. Alternatively, you can click into the Task text and then click the Trash/Bin icon that appears to the right.

CleanShot2024-04-03at16_31.52@2x.thumb.png.409b7568cdf78e03c607418ea257168e.png

I guess if you have a lot of tasks in a note (Errands or Todo List) then you may want to just clear these out, but often I add one or two tasks to a Note reminding me to do something that requires the context in the Notes content - like Actions from Meeting Notes or follow up a refund for an online purchase etc. I tend to leave this in the note so I can see it's been taken care of.

Thank you. This seems like the only/best way. I have to say, if anyone at Evernote is listening - the option to Hide or Delete complete tasks automatically would be very welcomed!  

On 4/3/2024 at 4:28 PM, gazumped said:

Tasks can,  in fact,  be deleted even if marked completed.  Please don't post nonsense here.

I mean to say I want to check in before I change my software.