EN running very slow on Mac and on the web

Late yesterday and now continuing today, EN is incredibly slow to any type of typing input.  I'm running it on a Mac and have also tried the web version on Safari and Chrome.  I type and just sit and wait for a very long time for the characters to show up.  Oddly, even when I take EN offline, there is still a very long lag in response.  I rebooted the computer a few times, shut down all other apps, not running a VPN.  I've been using EN since the early days and I've occasionally had this issue with new updates to the software.  I am at the latest version when I check for a software update.  Any suggestions on what to try or what might be causing this?  Just checked and did some input from my iPhone.  The text immediately inputs on the phone app and when I look on the desktop or web version, I can watch as the characters slowly appear.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Greenone said:

I am at the latest version when I check for a software update.

Try downloading the latest version from Evernote.com - it's (currently) 10.81.4 and updates don't show up via the app very quickly.

same here. i'm working on Big Sur iMac and its simply to slow te use.

On an other iMac Catalina, its not a problem

what's the solution?

Just checked and I'm already at 10.81.4.  I also tried the web version from a PC and it was no better.  Is it possible some setting on my account changed?  It isn't set to renew until this summer.  This is making EN totally unusable and it is a primary tool for my work and personal activities.

Thanks for the link.  So if I create a brand new note it works fine.  Any existing note that is more than a few pages has significant lag.  Something obviously changed in the software and is happening on the Mac desktop and web version.  Notes are supposed to be able to be as large as 200mb.  Reviewing my notes, none are anywhere close.

• Like 2

With the latest software update is there something new running in the background that is taking up significant resources like the new AI spell check or calendar function?  Is it possible to disable some of that functionality to see if it addresses the issue?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We saw some reports that the collapsible sections (for headers and for bulleted & checklists) cause a significant delay, especially in large notes with a lot of collapsible content. Check if this is the case with your notes when you claim latency.

We have no solution, but probably it helps to identify the root cause.

• Like 2

No collapsible sections.  I do use a lot of bulleted notes.  What is odd is that it happened immediately after either a software update or some other system change.  There have been times over the years where I would see latency for a few hours or a day but since this started a couple of days ago, it has not improved and is making EN unusable.  I am now taking notes in another application and although I've been using EN since 2013, if we can't get this resolved I will have no option but to move to another solution.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The update that brought the collapsible lists and sections as well brought the lagging.

Since the lag is usually reported on notes with lists, it seems logical that running the collapse feature somehow drives up reaction time. Maybe they analyze in real time whether sections / lists are collapsed or not, to render them correctly.

It‘s not the first time a new feature is released, and shows negative side effects. It seems there is no QA step in release management. Everything is dropped on the users, and they (=we) „find out“.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It does appear to be using more resources for rendering now as well, even when not rendering.  It would be helpful if we could turn off features and only use what is needed.  Any idea how frequently they release updates and potentially resolve this issue?  Is there a way to get in touch directly with EN tech support?

• 2 weeks later...

No response on the ticket but did notice with the latest update, 10.83.5, it has improved some.  I'm being forced to make notes smaller and smaller.  it appears the new AI or some other functionality spends a lot of resources constantly scanning the entire note.

For what its worth, I'm running the latest version on my Mac.  I just finished a long chapter of a book I am writing...at each stage of writing over a couple of days, I was able to open the note quickly.  Not sure what you are experiencing.

On 4/8/2024 at 4:29 PM, Greenone said:

No response on the ticket but did notice with the latest update, 10.83.5, it has improved some.  I'm being forced to make notes smaller and smaller.  it appears the new AI or some other functionality spends a lot of resources constantly scanning the entire note.

On the "the latest update, 10.83.5, it has improved some", I've noticed that the latency when typing into long notes with lots of bulleted list has improved a bit as well, but unfortunately not enough to help.   So they do likely recognize the problem, and seemed to do some optimizing around it, however the initial problem still exists.  This is still a show stopper for me so unfortunately I've been having to bounce between Evernote and Apple notes now, it's a bit of a nightmare.

On 4/8/2024 at 4:43 PM, Dave Edwards said:

For what its worth, I'm running the latest version on my Mac.  I just finished a long chapter of a book I am writing...at each stage of writing over a couple of days, I was able to open the note quickly.  Not sure what you are experiencing.

Hi Dave, it's specifically really long notes that contain bulleted lists which greatly slow down Evernote.  At least that's been my experience.  If a long note does not have numerous bullet edited lists, it renders quickly, and I can type into it just fine.