Search multiple tags broken

Go to solution Solved by s2sailor,

I'm certain many of my notes have two tags, but after searching the first tag I'm unable to search for the second to further filter results. Is there a search syntax I can use to force inclusion of a tag in search still?

• Level 5*
  • Solution
6 minutes ago, Tcellguy said:

I'm certain many of my notes have two tags, but after searching the first tag I'm unable to search for the second to further filter results. Is there a search syntax I can use to force inclusion of a tag in search still?

It seems to work for me in the two ways I tried.  Using Add filters.

image.png.26e287232718a01f7da4fc8f9cc13618.png

Or using tag:tag1 tag:tag2

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Tcellguy said:

It is very simple when you use the filters:

Enter a search term into the search field. Hit Enter to search. With the search results showing as a list, click the filters button, and select the tags section. Type in a part of the first tag, to find and select it. It is added to the search field (1), and in blue to the search filters area (2).

Now type behind the already existing tag into the search field. The cursor appears again (3), you type a part of the second tag, get proposals, select one. Hint: The cursor appears, but not the red field.

Now you have 2 tags selected, and the initial search term. Repeat if you want more tags, or select other filter options. While you do, the list gets shorter.

image.thumb.png.e436651902cff6adfd145f9b29e7ec53.png

• Like 1

Thanks to you both. I was trying to use the search drop down below the search field and it wasn't finding the tags. The add filters works. 

Also for syntax based something like tag:"tag_name" seems to work in the search field. 

3 hours ago, Tcellguy said:

Also for syntax based something like tag:"tag_name" seems to work in the search field. 

Just a few hints that might be helpful, adding to the great responses you've already had

The advantage of using underscores rather than spaces in tag names, is that you don't need the quotation marks.

alt+F2 (Windows but there will be a mac equivalent) takes you straight to the filter menu with the tags section already open. Beware though that there is a bug, that comes and goes with different versions, which clears the search field when you do this. 

Don't forget that with the search syntax you can choose to have any or all of the tags. Also now Boolean search is available for everybody it's much simpler to build up complex searches (although it doesn't really add much capability to the existing any: term). For example

tag:tag1 AND (tag:tag2 OR tag:tag3)

• Like 1

Yeah I should have used underscore when making the tags a long time ago. It's just the in older versions of Legacy the search for tags worked in the main search field if I recall correctly so I wasn't thinking about writing the full paths. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

That's easy to fix: Just rename the tag itself in the tag area, or by right click in a note - it will change the tag name on all notes using it. F2 brings up renaming as well when the tag is selected, at least on the Mac.

Don't remove the tag to add a new one (and never remove the old one before the new one was applied - lesson learned 😵‍💫 )