Options to keep using Evernote legacy as an archive

I am planning to keep my old Evernote collection of notes (Windows 10, legacy v6, free plan) as an unmodified archive. For new notes I will use another note system (or perhaps I will stop writing notes completely ...;-) 

So I have several options:

1. Keeping the old Evernote legacy installation just running without any online access
  2. Updating to v10 as Evernote recommends ist since weeks
  3. Forgetting my local Windows client and just using the web interface with my old notes

Of course I know about the possibilities of exporting the notes in Evernote and importing them on a foreign system. But this should not be discussed here.

Option 1 is very easy to realize. Just a firewall rule to prohibit network traffic in/out - that's it. The advantage would be, that I could use Evernote further on even for new notes which could appear during the consolidation process of my old notes (if I have time). Of course this would work only on one lonely Windows PC without the ability to synchronize to the web or other devices. But this would be ok for me. There would be no limit of 50 notes, of course. And Evernote cannot log me out. 

Option 2 is unclear for me. I have more than 50 notes (about 1000 old notes). Can I access those old notes with the new Evernote v10 client without any problems? (As I said I am not planning to create new notes which won't be possible anymore with the free plan.)

And finally option 3: Are there any drawbacks to expect? I did not use the web interface in the past, but it seems to work well for ocassionally access. Or will there be an annoying pop-up window every 5 minutes to remember me to update to a paid plan?

I am planning to realize option 1, but nevertheless I am curious about option 2 or 3. What are you thinking about it? 

Thanks for any hints,

Thorsten

• Level 5*

Some are going down the option 1 path and that may work, but since it is not supported I would highly recommend that you have your notes backed up and have a plan B ready in case you lose access to them.  Option 2 is workable within the new free plan limitations but you will get the nag screens.  Option 3 is still v10 so you will get nag screens here too.

FWIW, personally, I would not want my notes spread across different apps.  I would instead either make my peace with v10 or find another app and move everything there.

• Evernote Expert

For option 1, first export all of your notes as HTML before next Saturday. Then if the option doesn't work you will have easy access to the notes.

Option 2 is your best option. You will be able to work with your notes but not edit or add to them.

Option 3 limits the ability to export.

7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Some are going down the option 1 path and that may work, but since it is not supported I would highly recommend that you have your notes backed up and have a plan B really in case you lose access to them.  

Sure. This is absolutely no problem because they are already exported in several formats and imported on several systems (Obsidian and Notion). But I like the idea of freezing my old notes as an archive which I think has to be consolidated some time. And I like the old Evernote app. 

FWIW, personally, I would not want my notes spread across different apps

I made the experience that I did not use my old notes in Evernote on mobile devices. For spreading some (short!) notes to mobile devices I am using Google Notes because it's really fast. But this is beyond this discussion.

• Level 5*

Sounds like a plan.  One word of caution (maybe) concerning Google Keep.  I haven’t looked recently, and unless there has been a change, it was difficult to export notes out of Google Keep in case you ever want to move them to another app.

15 minutes ago, agsteele said:

For option 1, first export all of your notes as HTML before next Saturday. Then if the option doesn't work you will have easy access to the notes.

This option works. (Already exported them with html and enex).

15 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Option 2 is your best option. You will be able to work with your notes but not edit or add to them.

No editing in the old notes is possible anymore? Thank you for this information. I think I'll prefer option 1...

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

Sounds like a plan.  One word of caution (maybe) concerning Google Keep.  I haven’t looked recently, and unless there has been a change, it was difficult to export notes out of Google Keep in case you ever want to move them to another app.

Thanks for the warning. There are only unimportant notices ... (hope so!)

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Thorsten Albrecht said:

No editing in the old notes is possible anymore?

Yes, you should be able to edit existing notes, just not add more.

• Evernote Expert
16 minutes ago, Thorsten Albrecht said:

No editing in the old notes is possible anymore? Thank you for this information. I think I'll prefer option 1...

I mis-spoke. You can edit but not add new notes.

I had a prior version of Evernote with MANY notes that are important to me,  I want to keep them one way or other.  I cannot access my legacy version even though I have the "complete" installed version files but,  I cannot find the section of the file to open Evernote.

Is it possible to resurrect my existing Evernote program?

Is legacy ver6 still available?  Where are evernote data files stored on my computer ?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Officially the legacy client is not available any more.

Filehippo.com is a reliable source for practically all older EN clients, up to the latest. Look up a matching version, install. It will usually find your existing notes, if it is the correct client. Since the location has been changed in the past, I don‘t know where they are located.

You can try to find a folder named Evernote on your drive. Holding your notes it should have several GB of size. Before you install, make a copy of this folder, and rename it to avoid it being overwritten (like calling it Evernote.OLD).

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Walt1957 said:

I had a prior version of Evernote with MANY notes that are important to me,  I want to keep them one way or other.  I cannot access my legacy version even though I have the "complete" installed version files but,  I cannot find the section of the file to open Evernote.

Is it possible to resurrect my existing Evernote program?

Please, would you mind to open a new - own - thread if you have any questions about Evernote or restoring your old installation? Your question has nothing to do which has been discussed here.

Thanks.