Please give us Legacy VIEW.

funkytechmonkey

Idea

I am all for change, updates, and security but the one thing I do not agree on is forcing a UI change that is cluttered, confusing and an eye sore. Evernote has been my lifeline since 2014 with thousands and thousands of notes. I work in IT and the one thing I am known for is my Documentation. I tried updating Evernote last year and hated it so much I went back to 6.25. Now I am being FORCED to update to this new version. Come on... just give me back the compact, simple view without all the garbage.

1. Can you please just add a feature for "Classic View"
  2. Allow us to add/remove addition features we don't use.
  3. Change the sidebar text so it's more compact
  • Like 6

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Welcome to the forums. You can also try sending these ideas to feedback@evernote.com. The v. 10 interface has been structured the way it is for over 3 years. I'm just another user, but I will say flatly that it's not going back, even as an option. We've had those 3 years to try v. 10 and get accustomed to it. It took me quite awhile, at least a year, but it finally got good enough that I converted, and now it's second nature to me. Give it some time.

I would be even more certain that they're not going to offer a feature smorgasbord. Are there major apps that do this??

As for compactness ... sadly, even those of us who got accustomed to v. 10 a couple years ago have now experienced the 2024 UI upgrade, which emphasizes ... spaciousness ... the feel of the wind blowing through the gaping holes between interface elements. Feedback on that goes here: https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback.

• Haha 1

Also just migrated under the pressure. Has been a trusting and happy user for ages and kept the legacy for the same reason as above. I also stuck to the legacy because frankly this was the only one working for me. And here I am not speaking about usability but rather basic features: Off line mode is mostly broken (EN has been politely silent on a support request), notes that do not sync or take for ever to sync, ...

Anyhow: is version 10 working for you? Is this really reliable for you? Can you work every day with it? This is the X times I tried this migration but this is for the first time I wiped all my devices and resent from the scratch. Even with this offline note books stop syncing (i.e. show notes that just never come), notebooks that are synced I add a note with a picture, a PDF and some text and the picture and the PDF shows as with no title and syncing for ever...

So: does it work for you? Should I keep trying or invest my time to go to OneNote (I would really hate this) or Obsidian or ...

• Level 5

Wrong assumption: Support is not politely silent on your ticket, support is simply inundated and needs a way too long time to respond.

My own ticket on the partially missing content in offline situations is probably a bit older than yours, has been answered and is reportedly currently with the devs under review.

Beside this v10 works nicely for me - I couldn’t imagine going back to legacy. Beside this Legacy Mac is entirely broken if used with newer MacOS - Apple has removed some outdated plugins on which legacy relied. It only shows in a very narrow window, and pdf files will not render.

To the question, "Does Evernote work for me?"  Yes, stated enthusiastically and without reservation.  Fast. Intuitive.  And with a bit of help from other smart users, it allows me to be very organized with little effort.  And Evernote is getting better every day.  

Vinnie

• Like 1

I am not asking to fully go legacy. I am asking for a compacted view like legacy. I'm sure all the new bells and whistles they have added some great functionality.. BUT my complaint is not having a compacted view. Or at least give us a choice. Don't force us to change something that was absolutely perfect the way it was.  

I have been a very loyal customer for over 10 years and never had one single complaint about this software, even when prices starting going up. You forced me to pay higher prices now you are forcing me to use a UI that makes my eyes bleed. I'm asking something that a dev team could easily do with minimal effort.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5
13 hours ago, funkytechmonkey said:

I am not asking to fully go legacy. I am asking for a compacted view like legacy. I'm sure all the new bells and whistles they have added some great functionality.. BUT my complaint is not having a compacted view. Or at least give us a choice. Don't force us to change something that was absolutely perfect the way it was.  

I have been a very loyal customer for over 10 years and never had one single complaint about this software, even when prices starting going up. You forced me to pay higher prices now you are forcing me to use a UI that makes my eyes bleed. I'm asking something that a dev team could easily do with minimal effort.  

Please be aware that these are basically user-to-user forums. To address Evernote directly email feedback@evernote.com.

If you think v. 6 of Evernote was "absolutely perfect," I invite you to view its forum here (https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/225-evernote-for-windows-issues-versions-6251-and-under/). Go back to posts from 2019 or 2018 (before v. 10 was introduced) and look at all the "perfection." As for Evernote's reasons for discontinuing Legacy, they are set out here: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning.

If I understand you correctly, you want them, "with minimal effort," to have the v. 10 data be displayed in the Legacy interface? So where would Tasks go? Or even backlinks?

14 hours ago, funkytechmonkey said:

I ABSOLUTELY agree with EVERY WORD of this comment.

• Like 2