Scrolling the sidebar, the notes list, the context menus is very slow and not smooth

Yesterday I updated from Legacy to the latest Evernote for Windows (WIN 10 prof. x64 Desktop, 16 GB RAM).

Now in comparison with the Legacy version the scrolling

• within the navigation sidbar
  • within the notes list in the middle coloumn
  • the context menu when I click on the 3 dots on the top right of a single note (see screenshot 1 below)
  • the context menu when I want to add an image or something else to a single note (see screenshot 2 below)

is really slow and not smooth.

I have 496 notebooks and around 50 notebook stacks, and scrolling through them in the navigation sidebar is really a pain: it is sooo slow and jerks, sorry I don't know the right English word for it; same when I scroll through the 2nd column i.e. the notes list or when I try to mark an item in the context menu of a single note like you see in the screenshot below.

It really makes no fun to work with it 😞

Scrolling within a single note's text, even when it has lots of images in it, is however working normal and smooth.

I'm used to working quickly and smoothly with Evernote, scrolling, clicking wherever I want - at least that's how it was in the legacy version. Why doesn't this work with the latest version (as described)?

111.jpg

222.jpg

entaskmanager.jpg

• BEHA changed the title to Scrolling the sidebar, the notes list, the context menus is very slow and not smooth
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  I really must boilerplate this explanation...

When you change from Legacy to v10

1. A new database is created in your storage and your entire existing account is downloaded in the background
  2. New indexes are built for search, thumbnails etc
  3. The new app is still usable - it will selectively download notes as you search or edit existing items,  but
  4. Individual Legacy notes need translating from the old code format to the new,  which takes a few seconds each note.
  5. Real Time Syncing is in operation as you - and the app - continue to work.

All of this will take some time depending one the number of notes / size of your account / speed of your connection / free storage available / local activity on that device.

I probably missed some items,  but you get that the app is pretty busy for some time - hours to days - after an update.  Your system will be slower for some time. 

If it lasts too long,  then check that your free storage is not being overwhelmed,  maybe move your (now redundant) EXB database to external storage to save some space...

...and then come back here with specifics so we can offer some more suggestions / contact Support (and be patient) for a longer term solution.

[saved]

• Thanks 1

okay, I hopefully have understood you right:

I have to wait some days so that all of my 24.000 notes have been "translated" into the new code.

My storage is enough, I have 3 HDs in my WIN computer and each of it, even the system HD has 75% space left. So that shouldn't be a problem.

So I hope for the best, that Evernote will become faster at my end ... thanks for your explanation so far.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

...but you get that the app is pretty busy for some time - hours to days - after an update...

How can I see that this process (conversion into new code, for example) is completed?
I don't know when the synchronization will take place.
There is no longer a SYNC button, no status to tell that EN is "finished" now with all this transformation ...

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, BEHA said:

How can I see that this process (conversion into new code, for example) is completed?

When (hopefully) you realise that things are now working smoothly - my nearly 70,000 notes took around 3 days.  Yours should be faster - but one thing I forgot in that list  was Server traffic;  seems like everyone who waited until now to convert is either exporting their old notes or converting to v10 - I had such a series of slow and missed connections,  and "you are offline" messages yesterday that I gave up and went to bed.  Things seem better today.

• Level 5

You can run the EN app in the background to keep on downloading 

When the app is not running or the computer off, no download happens. It will connect again and download once the app is running .