New versions, old bugs - Android Client

Currently, I'm on v10.76.1.

After numerous updates, bugs that have persisted for a long time still remain. I struggle to understand how the engineering team has not addressed them; is it incompetence? I have no other foundation to consider. It absolutely justifies nothing that, until now, such bugs affecting the user experience still exist. As time passes without a solution, I become deeply frustrated! The support now no longer works; any report receives a generic message in response. Even when providing detailed information about the bug, the response is that without 'details,' the ticket cannot be resolved.

I will report in videos some of the bugs that directly impact the user experience:

1. If you have 10 attachments and select only the ones you want to delete, brace yourself, you'll have to re-add the others! It's RIDICULOUS!

2. Widgets for what? The buttons in them simply don't work!

3. If you stay too long without opening the app, this simply happens!

4. When opening the app, it displays the Evernote logo (loading) TWO TIMES! If you're trying to do something, it interrupts to show the same screen, guess what, twice! I confess it's the most irritating bug for me!

Now images, of course, can't be missing!

1. Preview unavailable

Screenshot_20240221_202655_Evernote.thumb.jpg.9a7445aacee899f6eb1fac08005e2613.jpg

2. What's the point of a scroll bar FOR NOTHING???! OMG!!!

Screenshot_20240221_205148_Evernote.thumb.jpg.a3d0e00cbc40efd2252b6168f078da9c.jpg

3. Read, please!

Screenshot_20240221_205341_Evernote.thumb.jpg.48c86c090e07a0a8deed9d86e9e2f8dd.jpg

4. Same buttons in different places?! Where's the trash can in the upper corner of the screen?? At least that WOULD BE USEFUL! You'll understand in the next image...

Screenshot_20240221_205431_Evernote.thumb.jpg.86416782e232bca24be5e4a2c44df38d.jpg

5. Now explain to me: why so many steps for something that should be SO SIMPLE?

20240221_210406.thumb.jpg.7b95f021f5abf615eca0be5101beec17.jpg

6. And last but not least: what's the point of saving a BLANK note?? How I miss the Legacy version that was smart and didn't allow saving a blank note!

Screenshot_20240221_210213_Evernote.thumb.jpg.11279240c587f7cabc304ac653504b2a.jpg

I truly hope you understand! It was the longest post I've written... There is no sense in everything I mentioned. 'Deadline, solution, competence'? It doesn't exist in Evernote's vocabulary! The feeling I have is that the app is not used by Evernote themselves!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I agree overall that the Android app has been neglected for quite awhile, while they spend money upgrading/degrading the user interface in the desktop and Web apps--which I hope desperately will never come to mobile! It would be helpful if you would join in the discussions on the Android forum (preferably limiting posts to one issue at a time): https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/718-evernote-for-android-issues-versions-100-and-above/.

21 hours ago, Arantes said:

2. Widgets for what? The buttons in them simply don't work!

I can confirm this. It seems to be an instance of the issue reported in this thread in the Android forum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149483-android-app-10623-not-opening-note-on-first-attempt/. The first time I click on the widget button, I get the endless circle. When I back out and click it again, I get a new note ready to write in. So it's one more way this bug causes problems.

4. When opening the app, it displays the Evernote logo (loading) TWO TIMES! If you're trying to do something, it interrupts to show the same screen, guess what, twice! I confess it's the most irritating bug for me!

I have seen things that resemble this. In general, the Android app seems to have problems with starting, stopping, and needing to be restarted.

Now images, of course, can't be missing!

1. Preview unavailable

This happens on various platforms, unfortunately. Sometimes the image has not finished syncing after it was uploaded; sometimes it has not been downloaded to the mobile device completely. Here too backing out and trying again generally gets the attachment -- obviously not an ideal workaround.

2. What's the point of a scroll bar FOR NOTHING???! OMG!!!

I have to work extra to make that one happen, so I don't. As for 3-6, honestly, I don't care. But I guarantee you that if they put the delete note 🗑️ icon on the top of the editing page, people would hit it by accident, and then come in here screaming. And I agree, saving a blank note seems pointless, but there's a lot worse in this app.

Em 22/02/2024 at 18:43, Dave-in-Decatur disse:

I agree overall that the Android app has been neglected for quite awhile, while they spend money upgrading/degrading the user interface in the desktop and Web apps--which I hope desperately will never come to mobile! It would be helpful if you would join in the discussions on the Android forum (preferably limiting posts to one issue at a time): https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/718-evernote-for-android-issues-versions-100-and-above/.

I can confirm this. It seems to be an instance of the issue reported in this thread in the Android forum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149483-android-app-10623-not-opening-note-on-first-attempt/. The first time I click on the widget button, I get the endless circle. When I back out and click it again, I get a new note ready to write in. So it's one more way this bug causes problems.

I have seen things that resemble this. In general, the Android app seems to have problems with starting, stopping, and needing to be restarted.

This happens on various platforms, unfortunately. Sometimes the image has not finished syncing after it was uploaded; sometimes it has not been downloaded to the mobile device completely. Here too backing out and trying again generally gets the attachment -- obviously not an ideal workaround.

I have to work extra to make that one happen, so I don't. As for 3-6, honestly, I don't care. But I guarantee you that if they put the delete note 🗑️ icon on the top of the editing page, people would hit it by accident, and then come in here screaming. And I agree, saving a blank note seems pointless, but there's a lot worse in this app.

Thank you. I confess that I don't have experience with forums.

• Like 2
Em 22/02/2024 at 18:43, Dave-in-Decatur disse:

Thank you for the suggestion, I did just that! I genuinely hope the CEO sees my post with great consideration.

• Level 5

What speaks against the theory that "Mobile" has been neglected: The iOS app is running the mobile client as well - and it works pretty good. There is a bug here and there, but in general nothing like the Android version. 

Of course it is much easier with Apple devices: Standardized SDKs, a much better OS update situation, no base quality devices with outdated hardware etc. So it is not a problem with EN Mobile, it is really the Android app that never really took off.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, Arantes said:

Thank you for the suggestion, I did just that! I genuinely hope the CEO sees my post with great consideration.

OK. Be aware, though, that Evernote's CEO doesn't necessarily read these forums. They're basically user-to-user.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What speaks against the theory that "Mobile" has been neglected: The iOS app is running the mobile client as well - and it works pretty good. There is a bug here and there, but in general nothing like the Android version. 

Of course it is much easier with Apple devices: Standardized SDKs, a much better OS update situation, no base quality devices with outdated hardware etc. So it is not a problem with EN Mobile, it is really the Android app that never really took off.

Oh, dear goodness, let's not start an Android vs. Apple discussion. (I get enough of that from my daughter.) I didn't say mobile had been neglected, only Android. The Android app has always worked well for me, generally speaking, but there have been long-running bugs (including ones that @Arantes points out) that really need attention.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The Android app has always worked well for me, generally speaking, but there have been long-running bugs (including ones that @Arantes points out) that really need attention.

I have a 4-year-old Samsung A70 Android 11. Apart from a few minor issues around 18 months ago, it has performed reasonably well, particularly in the past few months. It is not lightning-fast but is working well at the moment.