Interface

duckhunterrr
Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

Idea

Greetings

After the update, the application interface has changed a lot. The left column became white, the font and paragraph parameters in all notes changed. This happened both in Windows and in web clients. Is this the free version of Evernote or what is it? Reinstalling older versions does not help. My subscription plan - Personal.

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.d950d3c77acf19aeaa0db8b3132f8f69.png

• Like 1

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5
  • Solution
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a UI update in the making. What you see is one of the test releases. It is rolled out on a random basis, to collet feedback.

Send your impressions here:

feedback@evernote.com

Better yet: https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback.

For information on the principles and purposes of the update (which IMHO are not particularly well thought out): https://evernote.com/blog/new-ui-2024.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, Roberto Jody said:

Thanks very much for the reply, Dave. I just discovered the font size choices given under the button "more" on the far right. The IU changed immediately after I installed the new version, so I thought the two were linked. Maybe if I hadn't installed Evernote 10.76.2 the IU would've appeared later.

The new UI has a lot of extra space/padding, apparently for the sake of openness. This means that toolbar options take more space, so that fewer of them can be shown without hitting "More." IMHO, one of the least brilliant aspects of the spaced-out (heh) update.

3 hours ago, duckhunterrr said:

The left column became white,

Looks like you may have been affected by the reset of note width from "fit to window" to "Optimise readability". You can change it back in the notes section of settings.

I agree with so many others.  The new UI is terrible.  There is so much white space. that all the sections, rows, and columns simply blend into one another.  Please, at the very least the user should have some color/style choices.

• Like 1

This update is a real disaster! The design is much worse than before. But the main problem is the inability to customize the default font -the customization system is full of bugs and doesn't work at all. I'm shocked, that they released such a crude version.

We too aren't happy at all ... why was "new interface" not added to list of description items in the update so that users could've postponed the update??? I've used the font Handwritten now for a few years and the font name is still there but it sure doesn't look Handwritten at all. Evidently there aren't any more font sizes possible except for heading large medium and small header. 

I can't simply resize some images anymore.

Worst of all, I'm spending / wasting time on all these issues.

I have already given detailed comments on the feedback page and hope that Evernote reacts quickly if the dissatisfaction on this thread is typical of many users.  I hope too that they don't ever again make so many UI changes at once but simply give users the possibility to adapt UI to their preferences instead of rolling out aspects that users can't changer or revert.
  • Like 2
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Roberto Jody said:
We too aren't happy at all ... why was "new interface" not added to list of description items in the update so that users could've postponed the update??? I've used the font Handwritten now for a few years and the font name is still there but it sure doesn't look Handwritten at all. Evidently there aren't any more font sizes possible except for heading large medium and small header. 

Getting the new interface is not dependent on getting a version update--if you get selected to receive it (apparently through a switch they set on their servers), you will receive it, whatever version you have.

To me the fonts from the previous UI look the same as before. Font sizing (for me, at least, in v. 10.76.2) is still available. Is it gone from your formatting toolbar? Which version number do you have.

2 hours ago, Roberto Jody said:
I can't simply resize some images anymore.

This is part of the upgrade to v. 10.76: images can now be aligned left, center, or right; but this is accomplished by putting them in an invisible tray, which inhibits resizing.

Thanks very much for the reply, Dave. I just discovered the font size choices given under the button "more" on the far right. The IU changed immediately after I installed the new version, so I thought the two were linked. Maybe if I hadn't installed Evernote 10.76.2 the IU would've appeared later.

I can now see the other fonts and they do now look like the older ones, and I've discovered the tray you mentioned for images. I just wish inserting images was like the old days - when it was possible to easily adjust size and also have text to the left and right without having to insert tables with visible border lines.

It'll be interesting to see what tweaks Evernote makes based on user feedback. The possibility of providing feedback via the link you gave in your first message was really useful.

• Like 1