Feature request (which I consider a bug): better support for Windows 11`s "Snap layouts"

One of the annoying thing with Evernote on Windows 11 is the poor support for the feature "Snap layout".  For those who are not familiar with it, here is a description: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/desktop/modernize/apply-snap-layout-menu

The snap layouts feature is fully based on a feature that used to be available with Windows 10 PowerToy and it used to work well over there.

Meanwhile, the problem I am facing when my Evernote is set to execute inside of a snap layout is when I either click on a note link (the other note will open, but will kick out Evernote completely from the snap layout), or when I access Evernote from an "Internal link`.  You can obtain the "Internal link" of a note by doing an ALT+CTRL+L and then using the link available in the clipboard elsewhere. I use such an approach intensively with my TODO app (Remember the Milk) for instance.

I am posting here in case some other users with Windows 11 have experienced the same problem and have encountered a way to resolve the situation.

• Like 1

Instead of MS' Snap Layout I use MaxTo since years (maxto.net). But I think they work in similar way (grab Keyboard and Mouse events before they reach an application, modify events to force the application to work like the user defined and send modified events to the application). Normally the application does not (and does not have to) know about that...

10 hours ago, Lemayp said:

when I either click on a note link (the other note will open, but will kick out Evernote completely from the snap layout)

Simply click on a note or Ctrl-Click?

• A simple Click opens the note in EN's main window - whereby it may re-arrange the main windows by displaying a note list (or not..). But the main window itself keeps alive within its box.
  • A Ctrl-Click opens the note in a new EN note window - but in a free size and position and not within a defined snap box. This is because Windows has no chance to modifiy any events
10 hours ago, Lemayp said:

or when I access Evernote from an "Internal link`. 

If you access EN10 from outside it opens the note in its main window (like from inside with simple Click). There is no option available to change this behaviour (like in Legacy 😉)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Have you tried PowerToys "FancyZones" on W11?  Shift-Click on a window's top border and you can drag it into a standard or a bespoke layout...

Yes, I am using it in "parallel" to "Snap Layout".  The outcome of "FancyZones" on W11 leads to extra "lost" in the rendering, i.e. the windows have a gap between them, with the top and with the bottom.  For sure the "Snap Layout" technology is coming from "FanzyZones", but contains an improved implementation.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Simply click on a note or Ctrl-Click?

It is the simple click approach.  Let`s say I have the main Evernote properly setup in a snap layout, clicking on a link will make the main evernote to move out of the snap. Really weird behavior.

Similarly, opening from an external application using an internal link will cause the main evernote to be kick-out of the snap.  It works well when using Powertoy "Fancyzones", but the behavior is broken with the official Windows solution.

2 hours ago, Lemayp said:

It is the simple click approach.  Let`s say I have the main Evernote properly setup in a snap layout, clicking on a link will make the main evernote to move out of the snap. Really weird behavior.

I presume, Win11 SnapLayout fails with Apps that run in browser engines

Similarly, opening from an external application using an internal link will cause the main evernote to be kick-out of the snap.

Makes sense - same functionality as opening a note by following an internal link from inside EN.

It works well when using Powertoy "Fancyzones",

Another hint to search for a problem in Win11 SnapLayout. There's also no problem MaxTo ...

• Like 1