Would you kindly stop spamming modal window 'Upgrade to Professional'?

Go to solution Solved by GopherXXX,

Would you kindly stop spamming modal window 'Upgrade to Professional' every 15 min or so?

No, I don't want to upgrade. Yes, I'm a paying customer. Stop this spam already, are your developers too lame to put checkbox 'Do not bother me anymore' in the window?

I suppose I would ask for compensation for such an intrusive behavior. I hardly could use Evernote cause every 2-3 popups it freezes itself, so I have to use task manager to kill all its processes. That is not what I'm paying for.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, GopherXXX said:

I suppose I would ask for compensation for such an intrusive behavior.

Hi.  I would guess that you couldn't unless Evernote's lawyers were very bad with their licence wording.  Can you see any pattern in when or why you get spammed?  While it's usual to get reminders from time to time,  every 15 minutes sounds rather extreme.  Even when I use my test 'free' account I only see a couple of reminders.  If you feel it's excessive contact Support - which is something that you are paying for - and see if they can do anything for you.  We're mainly other users around here - no control over nagverts at all.

I've contacted support (created support request id #3826616) the same time the original post was written. Even examined application log on the most detailed level and put related fragment in the ticket thread. No reaction.

My next billing date is September. My credit card is registered for subscription is going to expire this month, however I don't believe this fact is an excuse for such a promo spamming from Evernote.

Every 15 minutes Evernote warns me 'You won't be able to get back to this offer if you dismiss it'. Lies! I've lost count how many getting back I've had for the last 24h. I wonder if Evernote is going to stop this begging spree, because it really irritates me. 

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Check your notifications settings in your account information. Maybe you allowed everything …

I see only 'Emails' are exclusively specified under Account Info/Personal Settings and Account Info/Reminders. Disabled everything. Let's see if application notification is classified as 'email'.

I have been looking for a way to contact the support team to say exactly this. I do NOT consent to being spammed every 15mn to upgrade. If I wanted to upgrade, I would. I do not need a reminder. Please stop this practice, it is very intrusive and frankly doesn't entice to subscribe.

Well... changing settings didn't changed anything. Support keeps playing dead. 

Funny that Evernote host services have chosen specific computer to doom. Irony is that it is the instance I need the most and am using it 95% of the time spent with Evernote. 

And there are no problems with this computer except Evernote promo doomsday: I see no network issues, Evernote network test passes OK, sync is performed flawlessly. My other devices are OK.

This time I've identified local folders (settings, databases, etc) that Evernote uninstall skips, so this time I've combined uninstall with local data deletion. Registry search didn't reveal anything specific that required manual deletion. The problem is that I have to force restart Evernote every hour because every second or third promotional window doesn't close and Evernote stops responding. A forced reboot could potentially corrupt local databases, which is something I don't want. Kinda stereotypic but 'no problems on my side'.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, GopherXXX said:

Support plays dead. 

Support was already busy and overactive adverts aren't necessarily a priority,  so a turnaround with 24 hours was never going to happen. Give it a few days and you will get a reaction.  Meantime is there a reason you're so protective of your local database?  It's only a copy of what's held on the server,  and my next suggestion would be to use Revo Uninstaller (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall your current setup completely and allow the server to rebuild your account.  It'll take a day or two to catch back up,  but you can use the app while it's doing so...

What I was saying that Evernote is a network service. There is not much sense in local cleaning when the host service fanatically commands client to 'show the promo'. As seen in the logs.

'Mutation [promotionMarkShown] roundtripped' below seems the most suspicious event. I am almost sure that is what is causing client to show promo once again. Every time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/2/2024 12:47:34 PM
TopicName:feature-rollout Origin:Boron
feature-rollout fetched flags
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/2/2024 12:50:47 PM
Origin:Conduit
conduit-electron-worker [["Executing optimistic mutation promotionMarkShown"]]
2/2/2024 12:50:47 PM
conduit-electron-worker [["Optimistic mutation promotionMarkShown id: *** successful time: 13 ms"]]
2/2/2024 12:50:48 PM
conduit-electron-worker [["Executing remote mutations for upsync: ","{\"mutationsToUpsync\":{\"count\":1,\"mutations\":[{\"name\":\"promotionMarkShown\",\"id\":\"***\"}]},\"start\":1706871048190}"]]
2/2/2024 12:50:48 PM
conduit-electron-worker [["Upsync remote mutations response:","{\"time\":407,\"successMutations\":{\"count\":1,\"mutations\":[{\"name\":\"promotionMarkShown\",\"id\":\"***\",\"guids\":{\"promotion\":\"Promotion:unprompted_p2p_upsell\"}}]}}"]]
2/2/2024 12:50:54 PM
conduit-electron-worker [["Mutation roundtripped: ","{\"count\":1,\"mutations\":[{\"name\":\"promotionMarkShown\",\"id\":\"***\"}]}"]]

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, GopherXXX said:

I think there is a breach of the legal terms of the subscription by the Evernote.

In any legal dispute there's only one winner - the lawyers for both sides...  and while I agree it's annoying to see frequent upgrade adverts,  it's not a usual experience - which suggests that something local to you is possibly contributing to this.  Your choice how to proceed.

IANAL, but I don't think an in-app promotion to upgrade to a higher tier technically counts as an 'ad' unlike trying to get me to download Royal Match for the zillionth time!

• Level 5*
On 2/1/2024 at 6:56 PM, GopherXXX said:

Would you kindly stop spamming modal window 'Upgrade to Professional' every 15 min or so?

Hmmm.  I dropped from professional to personal around last August and honestly can’t recall ever seeing this except on rare occasions when trying to activate a pro feature then I get reminded that an upgrade is needed.  Maybe I’m just tuning them out.

• Like 2

New day - but support is still dead silent. I'm starting to think about subscription refund request. I’ve never seen software that is spamming ads against a paid subscription user. And I don’t want to see that kind of business practice ever again.

2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

IANAL, but I don't think an in-app promotion to upgrade to a higher tier technically counts as an 'ad' unlike trying to get me to download Royal Match for the zillionth time!

Dictionary definition says:

ad-free == not containing any advertising

Advertisement is not defined by promoting a third-party product/service only. Neither advertisement is considered advertisement only after being shown for the zillionth time.

The only consent I'd given to receive advertisements is related to emails only. IMO if the application/subscription plan is promoted as ad-free then it should be ad-free. 

3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Hmmm.  I dropped from professional to personal around last August and honestly can’t recall ever seeing this except on rare occasions when trying to activate a pro feature then I get reminded that an upgrade is needed.  Maybe I’m just tuning them out.

Yeah - I don't ever see them either (well, maybe twice so far in the last 12 months). I'd think something was wrong as I doubt that would be intentional to show them that much to a paying subscriber.

• Solution

Enough is enough. Had to shut up this begging spree accepting Professional for free, as the temporary workaround. Let's see if support will be able to handle the issue during the next 6 months.

I got tired of this fixing out of the blue and complete lack of support. Got some concerns about data safety and security as well, cause 'not as advertised' is a bad omen. Will sort it out later.

This topic can be closed.

6 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Yeah - I don't ever see them either (well, maybe twice so far in the last 12 months). I'd think something was wrong as I doubt that would be intentional to show them that much to a paying subscriber.

Never had this problem during the last 3 years I'm on this payment plan as well.