PLEASE make it possible to stop updates installing everytime Evernote (windows 11) is launched

Paul Hendley

Idea

When I launch evenote it is because I have seen something I want to include in a note. Nowadays - almost everyt ime I go to open evernote, it installs a new version whihc takes two minutes or more.  This is making the program unusable for my purposes.  This is apparently (based on fiorum and web comments) not a problem fro users who have Evernote open all the time but for folks like me, it has destroyed the convenience of the program.  If you are truly worried about the risks of customers failing to be protected from exploits if they have not upgraded (soemthign I saw in the forums), then install a failsafe that would force an upgrade install at least once every 6 weeks.  Alternatively, reduce the number of upgrades to soemthing more similar to other office programs

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 1/27/2024 at 1:28 AM, Paul Hendley said:

almost everyt ime I go to open evernote, it installs a new version

Hi. Unless you only open Evernote every two weeks or so this should not be happening.  We're mainly other users here,  so 'we' can't do much about the software,  but you might be able to avoid this by signing out of Evernote,  removing data from your device,  using Revo Uninstaller Free to totally remove the app from your system,  power off then back on again and re-install from Evernote.com.

Thanks but typically I may onloy access EN once a week or less.  The updates seemed to be much less frequent until maybe a couple of years ago.  All I am suggesting is to have a warning coming up announcing a new update and having a "run now" or "run when I log off" choice box.  It is the automatic running on log on that is so frustrating. 

• Level 5

They give you a warning. You can decide to update "now", or you can skip it. If you skip, it updates invisibly, The new version is there the next time you start it.

It is pretty good, compared to before.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 1/26/2024 at 8:28 PM, Paul Hendley said:

When I launch evenote it is because I have seen something I want to include in a note. Nowadays - almost everyt ime I go to open evernote, it installs a new version whihc takes two minutes or more.  This is making the program unusable for my purposes.  This is apparently (based on fiorum and web comments) not a problem fro users who have Evernote open all the time but for folks like me, it has destroyed the convenience of the program.  If you are truly worried about the risks of customers failing to be protected from exploits if they have not upgraded (soemthign I saw in the forums), then install a failsafe that would force an upgrade install at least once every 6 weeks.  Alternatively, reduce the number of upgrades to soemthing more similar to other office programs

23 hours ago, Paul Hendley said:

Thanks but typically I may onloy access EN once a week or less.  The updates seemed to be much less frequent until maybe a couple of years ago.  All I am suggesting is to have a warning coming up announcing a new update and having a "run now" or "run when I log off" choice box.  It is the automatic running on log on that is so frustrating. 

Just to be clear, these are user-to-user forums, so the "you" who might be worried are not present. You can email feedback@evernote.com. To be brutally honest, I'm not sure I see how a 2-minute delay in order to have the most recent software hampers once-a-week use.

• Like 1