Attempting to consolidate from 3 notebooks to 1 on the free plan

fool
Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Idea

Howdy!

I'm struggling to get all of my (48 total notes, confirmed trash is emptied) notes consolidated from 3 notebooks to 1.  I cannot seem to create new notes (so "copy to.." doesn't work), nor move notes from one of the 3 notebooks to another on the way to ending up with one notebook;  in all cases, the upgrade dialog comes up over and over again.  I am guessing that this is due to me having 3 notebooks, so figure that my next step should be consolidating.

Any advice on how I can consolidate without deleting all notes from the notebooks (unfortunately 2 of the notebooks have 20ish notes in them so it's a bit impractical to copy-paste all notes from 2 of them into and then back out of some other app into the intended lone-remaining-notebook, while removing them.)

Any advice on how to accomplish this with minimal friction? (Hopefully without clicking through the upgrade dialog dozens of times since that is my experience while trying today - but I'd be willing to do that if there was any way that actually worked to get things consolidated).

Mods: Please feel free to move this post to another topic if there is one better suited for it, I poked around a bit to determine where I thought it should go but quite possibly missed someplace more relevant.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5
  • Solution

It could be done this way, but first read it all:

Export the notes from the notebooks you want to remove to ENEX files.

Scrap the notebooks, empty the trash - on deleting a notebook, the notes end up in trash.

When you are down to 1 notebook, import the ENEX files.

But beware: You only have an upload limit of 60MB every 30 days. So depending on note sizes, you can get beyond it pretty fast.

And then it wouldn’t import at all !

So maybe subscribe for a month, and then you could move everything directly as well.

• Like 1

Thanks, @PinkElephant! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I'm still having a bit of a struggle, though. 

I went to the FAQ about how to export and it says for Windows to right click and pick export, but that option doesn't seem to come up. Any clue what I might be doing wrong?

Much appreciated. 

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I am only using the web or mobile client, never tried the desktop client. No desire to install the desktop client as I mostly access on my phone.  Honestly if I am gonna export anyway, I'll probably just move to a different tool.  Had a good run here for 12 years on the free plan, but understand they need to make money.  I'm sure this has been talked to death in the forums, but I sure wish there was some (non-zero!) pricing option that suited my use-level (which is about 2 hours a year, I mostly keep some lists like "movies to watch" and occasional-use trip packing lists in it, rather than using it for more complex tasks) but the one-size-fits-most pricing seems focused on people who use the tool a lot more than me.

Edited by fool
clarity
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, fool said:

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I am only using the web or mobile client, never tried the desktop client. No desire to install the desktop client as I mostly access on my phone.  Honestly if I am gonna export anyway, I'll probably just move to a different tool.  Had a good run here, but understand they need to make money.  I'm sure this has been talked to death in the forums, but I sure wish there was some pricing option that suited my use-level (which is about 2 hours a year, I mostly keep some lists like "movies to watch" and occasional-use trip packing lists in it, rather than using it for more complex tasks) but the one-size-fits-most pricing seems focused on people who use the tool a lot more than me.

I have to say I agree with your assessment: Evernote is probably overpowered, as well as overpriced, for that level of usage. Various free options could serve, I'm sure. I too would love to see a lower-priced, lower-featured plan beneath Personal; that may or may not happen, but even that might turn out overpriced for making a couple of lists over the course of a year.