Sharing a few notebooks with another individual. Which account do I need?

I have a friend with whom I would like to share a few notebooks.  I do not want him to have access to all of my notebooks, only to the ones I want to share.  I do want us to be able to place notes in these shared notebooks so that we can both see the notes that either one of us puts there.  I have a "Personal" account with EN; should he get a "Personal" account as well?  Beyond sharing a few notebooks there is no other activity that we need to do.  I looked at the Professional account and do not need the increased storage, calendar accounts and other things that were listed there.  Just want to make sure that if I get a paid account for my friend we will be able share notebooks and notes.

P.S: Related question: Can I establish this second account for my colleague (paying with my credit card) or does he have to establish an entirely separate account under his own name and credit card?  The reason I ask is I noticed something about one individual can not have two accounts unless they get a Teams account (which appears much pricier).

• Level 5

You can share notes, or better you share a notebook. Notebooks can be shared to known recipients, notes can be shared by a universal link to unknown recipients as well.

When you share a notebook, everything you drop in there is available for your sharing partner. And everything the partner drops into it or changes, you get as well. The shared notebook can be used on a Free account, because it doesn't not belong to that account. It is untouched by the 1 notebook limit. Notes created by you don't count into the sharing partners 50 note limit either.

For all this, a Personal account will do.

Professional adds features with assigning Tasks at a shared group of people. If you only want to share information, it's not needed.

The recipient does not even need an EN account if receiving a note link. It can be opened in every browser, without an account. For sharing a notebook the recipient needs an account - Free will do.

BTW you can have more than one account, no problem. You just can't access them on one client at the same time. In the client, you need to switch. But you can for example open one account in the client, and a second one in a browser window (in the browser, by adding tabs you can even access multiple accounts).

• Level 5*

Depending on your needs, you could also look at Postach.io,  which will convert a notebook into a public blog post.  Along the lines of the description above, anything in that notebook tagged with "published" will be synced externally to the blog page.  The company have a 'free' account which allows you to share up to 5 (I think) notebooks as separate blogs.  Anyone with the URL has access to view,  but not edit.  If you subscribe,  there's an option to password-protect the content.

• Like 1

Thanks Pink. It does not seem to work in that way.  When my colleague goes to add a note in the notebook that we share he 

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You can share notes, or better you share a notebook. Notebooks can be shared to known recipients, notes can be shared by a universal link to unknown recipients as well.

When you share a notebook, everything you drop in there is available for your sharing partner. And everything the partner drops into it or changes, you get as well. The shared notebook can be used on a Free account, because it doesn't not belong to that account. It is untouched by the 1 notebook limit. Notes created by you don't count into the sharing partners 50 note limit either.

For all this, a Personal account will do.

Professional adds features with assigning Tasks at a shared group of people. If you only want to share information, it's not needed.

The recipient does not even need an EN account if receiving a note link. It can be opened in every browser, without an account. For sharing a notebook the recipient needs an account - Free will do.

BTW you can have more than one account, no problem. You just can't access them on one client at the same time. In the client, you need to switch. But you can for example open one account in the client, and a second one in a browser window (in the browser, by adding tabs you can even access multiple accounts).

Hi Pink.  It does not seem to work in this way.  I just looked at my colleague's shared notebook on his computer (using the web version) and he is unable to add any notes to it.  When he tries to add a note to this shared notebook he gets a message saying that he has reached the free limit of 50 notes and he needs to upgrade.  It gives him an offer to get 60% off a personal account.  I think that this would be the way to go since we both have to add notes to this shared notebook.  

• Level 5*

As described above is how it works for me as well.  Is your friend using a new or already existing free account?  If already existing is he sure he hasn’t already added 50 notes and that his trash is empty?

27 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

As described above is how it works for me as well.  Is your friend using a new or already existing free account?  If already existing is he sure he hasn’t already added 50 notes and that his trash is empty?

My friend needs to have more than just 50 notes.  We both need to be sharing notebooks which have hundreds of notes.  I think the only option would be to get him a personal account so that we can collaborate on our projects together without being limited in any way.  I think that with the current annual discount one can get a personal plan for about $100.

• Level 5*

I may not have been clear.  Does your friend need to create more than 50 new notes?  If yes then you have your answer and he needs his own account, but if he only needs access to the notes you have shared, which can be more than 50, then a free account for him may still be ok.

I paid to upgrade him to a personal account and the problem was solved instantly.  Now he can create notes on his end, I can create notes on my end and we can both collaborate without worrying about any 50 note limitations.  

• Like 2