All In With Evernote!

Good Day All,

i am ready to go back to being all in with Evernote. I’ve always liked the product and nothing else is quite like it. I have a couple of questions; sorry if some have been answered already - a lot of negativity in this forum that I’d like to avoid :) 

1. I used to keep my files in Evernote. Mostly my teaching lessons etc…. Is that still a good idea. How many of you keep a lot of files in Evernote ?  I mean working files…..

2. Assuming I keep my files in Evernote - what’s the best way to back up and have my stuff local as a back up ?

thank you 

1 hour ago, Robejazz said:

1. I used to keep my files in Evernote. Mostly my teaching lessons etc…. Is that still a good idea. How many of you keep a lot of files in Evernote ?  I mean working files…..

I use Evernote for work as well as personal. I keep things separate using Stacks. The work side is pretty much 90% pdf files of teaching resources. The web clipper is awesome for grabbing files when looking for new resources. I think it is a great idea for keeping files in EN as the search is great and I am able to dump all the files into a single folder. I organize by tag so I make sure I tag every resource I save.

2. Assuming I keep my files in Evernote - what’s the best way to back up and have my stuff local as a back up ?

I just export .enex files per folder once a year for backups. 

• Level 5*

Just for contrast,  I keep all my detailed information in Evernote;  I file by notebook in that all my contacts,  suppliers,  projects and topics have their own notebook and anything to do with each matter is stored there.  There are overlaps,  which is what I use tags for,  and my note titles are in the standard form <date><type><detail><keywords> where <date> is the date of the meeting / letter / phone call to which the note relates in yyyymmdd format for sorting into a time line <type> adds the meeting / letter / phone call information and <detail> identifies the name of the individual or company involved.  Keywords are whatever occurs to me at the time.

I use Stacks to split home and work details and surprisingly -to me anyway- less than 500 notebooks with this system.  The major downside being that backups need to be on a notebook-by-notebook basis and the process is not for the faint hearted.  I use Backupery which is another subscription,  but can be left to run in the background once per week.

Despite all the wailing and breast-beating in other threads here I've used Evernote for 15 years or so and not had any major issues.  I'm using Windows 10 & 11 on two Dells - a laptop and desktop - and a Samsung tablet.  As of now I have around 63K notes with reasonably fast response times.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, buckethead said:

I just export .enex files per folder once a year for backups. 

I do this weekly using Evernote-backup code on GitHub.

There is no obvious way of downloading all the attached files from a selection of notes, if that is something you might want to do. However, if you export as html (single web page) all the attachments are placed in a folder with their original file names.