Skitch for Mac - Text annotations stopped working with MacOS 14.2.1

I'm running Skitch for Mac Version 2.9 (265153)

I recently upgraded to MacOS 14.2.1 and I can no longer annotate with text.  Arrows still work fine but if I add even one word of text and hit the sync button or gallery button, the app instantly crashes.  It happens every single time.  I have tried killing and restarting Evernote and Skitch, and rebooting.  Nothing helps.  I don't want to delete the app to reinstall because it does not look like you can still download the app from Evernote.  Is Skitch for Mac still supported by Evernote?  If not, that would be particularly sad.  It was a wildly popular app, and my team was the one who created it in Austin.

Rich

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, RichW said:

it does not look like you can still download the app from Evernote

Hi.  You may have already seen the issue...  I'm not a Mac user but I'd guess folks use alternative apps for this now...

• Level 5

Skitch is not maintained any longer.

Personally I use Shottr and don’t miss Skitch a split second. If you want your annotations to go directly into EN, use an Import folder to save the Shottr files.

Thanks @PinkElephant for the suggestion.  Shottr looks like a reasonable replacement.  Please explain how you save the Shottr screenshots directly to EN.  I don't know what you mean by "use an import folder".  I googled how to do it as well as asked ChatGPT.  I found no solution.

• Level 5

You can set up a folder anywhere on the Mac. I prefer it on my Desktop.

Then you go to your EN clients settings, Import Folder and link this Folder with a notebook in EN.

Now every file you drop into that folder will automatically be imported into a new note, with the file as attachment and the file name as note title. When you save there from Shottr, it will be imported.

You can later merge several notes if you want everything together.

You can create more than one folder, and link each to another notebook. But I think that’s sort of overkill.

In the past it happened after some updates that the Import Folder disconnected. Then reconnect it, and it will pick up what missed an import.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:05 PM, RichW said:

I'm running Skitch for Mac Version 2.9 (265153)

I recently upgraded to MacOS 14.2.1 and I can no longer annotate with text.  Arrows still work fine but if I add even one word of text and hit the sync button or gallery button, the app instantly crashes.  It happens every single time.  I have tried killing and restarting Evernote and Skitch, and rebooting.  Nothing helps.  I don't want to delete the app to reinstall because it does not look like you can still download the app from Evernote.  Is Skitch for Mac still supported by Evernote?  If not, that would be particularly sad.  It was a wildly popular app, and my team was the one who created it in Austin.

Rich

To put a finer point on things,  Evernote hasn't discontinued Skitch for Mac, but they also haven't put any love into it for a long time. Right now Bending Spoons is focused on bringing stability and a new interface to the main Evernote product.

That said, as long as you're using the Mac App Store version of Skitch, it should work (I use it myself on macOS 14.2.1 and can attest that it's working just fine).

Are you using a standalone version of Skitch, or the one from the Mac App Store?

• Level 5

To put a dot on the „i“ : Apps like Scannable, Penultimate and Skitch had been acquired years ago. There were probably a few maintainers for the aged code.

BS  has laid off practically all employees from the US and Chile, and moved the operation to Italy. I doubt anybody familiar with these apps is still with the team.

On a Mac, switch to Shottr. It’s a far better app receiving regular updates.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 10:23 PM, macfixer said:

To put a finer point on things,  Evernote hasn't discontinued Skitch for Mac, but they also haven't put any love into it for a long time. Right now Bending Spoons is focused on bringing stability and a new interface to the main Evernote product.

That said, as long as you're using the Mac App Store version of Skitch, it should work (I use it myself on macOS 14.2.1 and can attest that it's working just fine).

Are you using a standalone version of Skitch, or the one from the Mac App Store?

I don't see Skitch in the Mac App Store. ??? Skitch started doing the SAME thing for me today. UGH. I even tried restoring from backup. I could annotate yesterday, today, I couldn't--very strange. I didn't update my Mac until AFTER Skitch stopped working (as a way to hopefully resolve the issue). Anyone have a fix yet? I love Skitch.

•  Skitch started doing the SAME thing for me today. UGH. I even tried restoring from backup. I could annotate yesterday, today, I couldn't because it crashes after I try to sync--very strange. I didn't update my Mac until AFTER Skitch stopped working (as a way to hopefully resolve the issue). Anyone have a fix yet? I love Skitch.  **Also, any idea why we can't find it in the Mac App Store?

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

AFAIK Skitch and Penultimate were removed lately from the AppStore. They are end of life now. You can use existing installs, unsupported.

As a replacement for Skitch on the Mac try Shottr. I miss nothing, just the opposite.

• Sad 1