Dynamically set the Default Notebook

Bruce M

Idea

I used to like the feature whereby when I scanned a document, it would be added to the current notebook I had selected. Why not have the ability to dynamically set the Default notebook value whenever the user selects a notebook? To me, it's just another way of changing the Default like you already do in Settings/Preferences/ Notebook. Nothing special other than maybe adding a checkbox to allow the system to change the Default notebook whenever the user selects a notebook. If the user goes to Settings/Preferences/ Notebook, the Default notebook would be the last selected notebook by the user but greyed out. No point in allowing the user to change it since it's changed dynamically.

Thanks much!

7 replies to this idea

11 hours ago, Bruce M said:

I used to like the feature whereby when I scanned a document, it would be added to the current notebook I had selected.

How are you adding the scanned document to EN? If you simply drag it in to EN and drop it on the note list it will go into the current notebook.

I seem to recall that once upon a time using the Clip to Evernote browser plugin, the notebook would be dynamically selected based on the content of the clip. It could be easily re-directed to another notebook, if needed. But it seems this no longer works, and it goes to the default notebook no matter the content. Would be nice to have that back.....

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Banarieo said:

I seem to recall that once upon a time using the Clip to Evernote browser plugin, the notebook would be dynamically selected based on the content of the clip. It could be easily re-directed to another notebook, if needed. But it seems this no longer works, and it goes to the default notebook no matter the content. Would be nice to have that back.....

The option is still there in the clipper settings and is called smart filing.  I just checked and mine is (surprisingly) selected.  I've always just selected the notebook that I want the clip to go to.  I'll now pay attention to see how often it is correct.

I think the OP was referring to scanning and not clipping.  The Evernote scanner may have had something similar in the past.

27 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

The option is still there in the clipper settings and is called smart filing.  I just checked and mine is (surprisingly) selected.  I've always just selected the notebook that I want the clip to go to.  I'll now pay attention to see how often it is correct.

I think the OP was referring to scanning and not clipping.  The Evernote scanner may have had something similar in the past.

Mine is also set "on" and even after clipping 5-10 recipes it still sends to the default notebook rather than "Recipes" notebook. It appears not smart at all. :(

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Banarieo said:

Mine is also set "on" and even after clipping 5-10 recipes it still sends to the default notebook rather than "Recipes" notebook. It appears not smart at all. :(

You might want to submit a support request.  This may have worked in the past because I recall being puzzled at times by the notebook it was selecting.  Maybe it wasn't too smart back then either 🙂.

• Like 1