Leaving Evernote due to Constant Plan Pop-Ups

Been using this app since I was a broke university student, loved how easy it was to hop in and take some notes. UI changes in the past year made it extra confusing and now I am frustrated that every time I use the app there are constant pop-ups to change my plan. I know y'all need a business plan, and I'm but one person speaking into the abyss, but I just wanted to add a data point to say that you are pushing a long-time user out. Shame, too, as I was considering paying for the extra devices part of the plan. 

6 minutes ago, botanrice said:

pushing a long-time user out

A long-time free user? I think that is their plan -- to push them out. Free is more of a trial now anyways. In case you hadn't seen the news: https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-free-note-limits

I finally subscribed to YouTube Premium because they are cracking down on adblockers and I didn't want to play that game any longer. I figured I got a lot of use out of it, so why not subscribe?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, botanrice said:

I was considering paying for the extra devices part of the plan. 

Well - if you actually paid,  you wouldn't see the frequent nags.  Congratulations though on probably being the 1,000th user to trot out the 'I nearly paid' excuse...

(We're -mostly- other paying users in the Forums here,  so our sympathies are what you might expect...)

• Like 4
  • Level 5

It is interesting that people believe they would be allowed to pay a nickel and a dime to remove the part of the limits that are bugging them, but nothing for the rest.

It is as welcome as a guest who attends a wedding, and picks the cherries out of the wedding cake, leaving the rest for others.

• Like 2

I just saw a post on Reddit r/evernote with someone complaining that they want an alternative and they had trouble with Joplin and couldn't find a way to contact support. Sorry if I violate the code of conduct here but some people are really really really stupid and cannot be helped in any way. It's really an entitlement problem that people have. Like they are entitled to excellent customer service from that free, open source app. That subreddit is only people complaining that their free thing costs more money and anyone who points out that the competitors that do A LOT less cost only $30/year less anyway get downvoted.

Instead of paying for Evernote just go use Google Keep and let Google data mine your notes to target ads at you, that's what free is. 🙄

Bending Spoons needs to just stop calling it a Free plan and call it a Trial plan. Give users a time unlimited Trial that allows them to create 50 notes or one notebook prior to paying. Let the complainers complain for a while and eventually they will find something else or pay up. In the end getting rid of the freeloaders will save Bending Spoons more money than the people that will leave and not pay for a subscription.

I signed up for Evernote, paid for a month of Personal, played with it for a few days then paid for a year and then later prorated to Professional. $169 is a lot of money for me but this product offers a ton of value and is worth the cost.

That subreddit really needs some moderation. It's an everything but Evernote subreddit.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Reddit is ... Reddit. If it collects the unfortunate Freebies, it serves a purpose.

I'd rather them have their echo chamber there. I'm starting to grow tired of Reddit. It's such a negative space. Ever since the API changes I feel like the mood there has changed for the worse.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I just saw a post on Reddit r/evernote with someone complaining that they want an alternative and they had trouble with Joplin and couldn't find a way to contact support. Sorry if I violate the code of conduct here but some people are really really really stupid and cannot be helped in any way. It's really an entitlement problem that people have. Like they are entitled to excellent customer service from that free, open source app. That subreddit is only people complaining that their free thing costs more money and anyone who points out that the competitors that do A LOT less cost only $30/year less anyway get downvoted.

Instead of paying for Evernote just go use Google Keep and let Google data mine your notes to target ads at you, that's what free is. 🙄

Bending Spoons needs to just stop calling it a Free plan and call it a Trial plan. Give users a time unlimited Trial that allows them to create 50 notes or one notebook prior to paying. Let the complainers complain for a while and eventually they will find something else or pay up. In the end getting rid of the freeloaders will save Bending Spoons more money than the people that will leave and not pay for a subscription.

I signed up for Evernote, paid for a month of Personal, played with it for a few days then paid for a year and then later prorated to Professional. $169 is a lot of money for me but this product offers a ton of value and is worth the cost.

That subreddit really needs some moderation. It's an everything but Evernote subreddit.

Joplin actually has excellent support via their user forums. Developers are very active and helpful there.

It’s not for me, for a number of reasons that all have to do with Markdown limitations and the lack of (or the implementation manner of) a few features that I use all the time. I also have my general doubts regarding inherent (in)security of community developed FOSS software.

But if these limitations don’t impact you (and to be fair, it’s likely that they don’t affect most users), and you have no gripes about using a few 3rd party plugins to expand the functionality of desktop application, Joplin is actually very good. And you can’t beat the price.

Evernote is lacking an affordable basic paid option, and I think it’s fairly obvious why. But, it’s their choice.

Regarding this topic, I am a paying customer for my primary business account. But I also use a couple of free accounts for some personal side note keeping, for example between my wife and I, that I don't want to entwine with my corporate stuff. If you recall, you used to receive a free personal account with your corporate but then they split them off. I'm irked that as a paying customer I have to endure the pop-ups endlessly on the free accounts I participate in.