Evernote changes Grandfathered Plus plan users to Personal plan with no notice.

The Betrayal of a Loyal Evernote Customer

I am unspeakably disappointed with Evernote. After being a loyal customer and evangelist since 2009 with thousands of notes, my grandfathered Plus plan was suddenly changed without notice to a Personal plan. My bill skyrocketed from $53.29 to $138.57 per year - a 2.6x increase for features I don't need. 

For years, I have endured poor performance and reliability issues with Evernote's product. I have watched the CEO's interviews justifying general price hikes. But disregarding long-time, loyal customers - even if we represent a small fraction of revenue - shows no appreciation for those who helped Evernote thrive early on. 

This denial of past loyalty and lack of transparency with veteran users is fundamentally wrong. It ruptures years of accrued goodwill and violates the social contract between company and most ardent supporters. For a business seeking success in the long run, these reckless actions betray your earliest believers.

After 14 years of unwavering advocacy amid Evernote's many tribulations, having the rug pulled out from under me is disheartening and painful. This is terrible business and just plain sad. I expected far better from a one-time industry darling. Alas, Evernote's legacy now bears this indelible stain of forsaking loyal users without explanation or compassion. The memory of what Evernote once represented to me is now darkened by the shadow of this profound betrayal.

I hope other will share their disappointment loudly.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Macsadler said:

I hope other will share their disappointment loudly.

You are late to this discussion.  It is old news, but yes the new owners have raised the price and ended the grandfathered plans.  There is already much discussion in the forum.  Grinding of teeth, indifference and cost increase justifications.  We have it all, though no one is “happy” about the increase. You should have received an email about one month before renewal informing you of the change.  Some said they haven’t received one, but many of us did. Feel free to register your complaint directly to Evernote.  This is basically a user forum with little employee presence. 

You now get to join the rest of us in making a decision. You can test other options to see if you can find a different app that works well for you as a replacement, or you can accept the new price and continue on.  Drop to monthly if you need some time to check out options, or drop to the free plan (with plan restrictions) for a bit, but there appears to be changes coming to the free plan so that may not be a viable option for long term.  Some have reported being offered a 40% discount to come back when they dropped down to the free plan.  Personally, I’ve test driven several possible replacements and Evernote still works the best for me, even at the new price, so I’ve reenlisted for another year.  

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

With the possibility of losing my EN Plus account…the end is coming and I’m not happy about it…I’ve been comparing costs and functions. Todoist for $4/mo on annual Pro plan (+$48/year) will cover the EN task/to-do features I don’t have with EN Plus. To get those in EN Personal I go from $34.99/year to $104.99/year—or this thread seems to imply it’s even higher. 

My subscription to Plus in the Apple app store says I have until Feb. 10, 2024. Am I to assume this is the end of the road for another long-term user and promoter of what was once a stable, reliable app?

• Evernote Expert

You have already been upgraded to the Personal plan so, if you allow the renewal to go ahead, you will automatically renew at the new rate.

If you don't wish to do that then you should cancel your current plan in the app store. THat should then automatically drop to the Free tier in February.

That will give you six or seven weeks to make a plan for your future use of notes. If you drop to free you will be able to access your existing notes as an archive. Perhaps transferring notes to your new solution as and when you need them.

The least painful solution is likely to be continuing with the Personal plan. Otherwise there are many suggestions in these forums of services you could use.

• Level 5

You can quit your subscription at any time. It will still run until it's due date, and then drop to Free.

Be happy you could stay on a grandfathered subscription for 5 more years. Usually when a subscription plan is canceled, it will be "up or out" with the next regular renewal. It was IMHO this sort of indecisiveness that brought the "old" EN to its knees, and on the trash table. Even worse with an unsustainable Free plan going on for way too long without a decisive correction.

Your problem is now that dropping to Free is much less an option than it used to be. You won't loose existing content, but you won't be able to create any new note.