Evernote removes all formatting when clipping or copy/paste

Greetings,

I use Evernote on multiple PC's and recently upgraded my main PC from older version 6.25.1.9091 to most recent version 10.65.3.  Unfortunately, the newer version strips out all text formatting of any web clips or copy/pasted text when viewed.

I tested this and found that the same note that is unformatted in the newer version looks perfectly fine when viewed from the older version 6.25.1.9091.  The same copy/pasted text displays perfectly in other apps such as Microsoft Word.

Is this a bug, or a known problem with version 10.65.3?  This is frustrating as I use web clipper extensively for research and prefer not to revert back to the older version.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Todd

• Level 5

Web clips are either in a web clip container, or they are showing in a „simplified“ format. The simplified format strips formatting, it’s more or less plain text.

The web clip container shows like an attachment, with a grey outline. It preserves the formatting, but can’t be edited.

image.thumb.png.42a8762c8b570d99328f5e668c36268c.png

With respect, I'm aware of that distinction, but that is not the problem here. 

Even when copy/pasting, rich text loses all formatting when displayed in the new version (10.65.3).  As I mentioned above, the very same note shows proper formatting when viewed from the older version (6.25.1.9091).  This clearly indicates either a major bug in the new version, or perhaps corruption of the install.  I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this same problem.

Thanks.

Pink Elephant, what do you mean by "Standard Text Style?"  I find no reference to any settings by that name.

I also emphasize that all indents are also removed when displayed in the newer version, but that is not the case when viewed with the old version.

Thanks

Addendum:

It seems that copying/pasting formatted text is very unpredictable in the newest version and web clipping is a step backward.  Sometimes text copied from HTML will retain formatting just fine, but often does not, depending on the source and the specific formatting.  The same seems true of text copied/pasted from Microsoft Word.  Some formatting such as indented bullet points are retained, while indented subparagraphs lose all formatted indents when copied from the very same document.

I did not experience such odd/unpredictable behavior with the older version(s).

I am once again disappointed in newer updated versions.  This is precisely why I stuck with the now ancient version 6.25.1.9091 for so long.  It didn't have some of the flashy new (and arguably nice) features like multi-color highlighting, but it was solid and predictable, especially when it came to web clips.

Evernote developers, please attend to this problem.  I've been using (and paying for) this platform for years.  I shouldn't need to stay with an outdated and unsupported version to retain usability.

Thanks.

Edited by Signguy
added thought
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Signguy said:

Pink Elephant, what do you mean by "Standard Text Style?"  I find no reference to any settings by that name.

Here are the Text Styles, 4 of them: 3 for headers, 1 for standard text. At the lowest level of the menu you can change a text style by first format the paragraph differently, and then apply that style to the text style. This will change it everywhere, but only within of the same note. There is no carry over, and no general user defined text style setting.

IMG_0166.thumb.jpeg.05885b01acf4503551e487d511b21b5e.jpeg

IMG_0167.thumb.jpeg.3414c570e50374eb42e96aaf38d01b6e.jpeg

IMG_0168.thumb.jpeg.e378bea8aede2c928b19dcadab610675.jpeg

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Signguy said:

Evernote developers, please attend to this problem.  I've been using (and paying for) this platform for years.  I shouldn't need to stay with an outdated and unsupported version to retain usability.

Hi.  The forums here are mainly supported by other users like us.  For feedback please see the link in most apps,  or submit a Support ticket here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new 

Support are very busy right now so it may take a 7-10 days to get a tech response; but you'll have a ticket number which reserves a place in the queue.

This is however not a 'problem' - it's the way that v10 actually works;  anything more will be a feature upgrade and could happen in the future but not yet.  Evernote are busy focussing on speed and reliability issues right now.

Meantime there are two things you might try - clicking on the grey bar above some clips gives a 'magic wand' option to make them editable. -You might want to duplicate  a test note before simplifying it.  The other is to preserve any notes where the layout is of special importance by copying your Legacy content into a word-processor document.  Anything in a container,  or attached to a note will retain its original style. 

(It might be most efficient to print notes out and re-scan them as PDF files if you have a lot of notes to process.)

The fact is however that Evernote Legacy is now out of date and will stop working at some point.  For better or worse the 'new' v10 is the standard.  It's used by millions (some of whom actually pay for the privilege) and most of them are not particularly bothered by the lack of style options.

I don't see this being something that the company will prioritise.  I could be (and frequently am) wrong.

• Level 5

We initially expected that the 3 header levels were a preparation to get collapsible sections and probably an outlining feature in the new editor. This would have taken this "text styles" concept really to another level.

Unfortunately this didn't happen during the last 3 years.

Another frequently requested feature would be to allow a user to define his own set of Text Styles, and save them as a general setting.

This is more or less the most requested changes to the new editor, as far as I recollect them from forum posts.

Retaining the layout as in legacy (and sacrificing the ease of use of the new editor on the way) was not high on the requests list I have in mind. There are some users who invested a lot in "neat" note taking, but it seems they are a rather small group.

• Level 5
13 hours ago, Signguy said:

Greetings,

I use Evernote on multiple PC's and recently upgraded my main PC from older version 6.25.1.9091 to most recent version 10.65.3.  Unfortunately, the newer version strips out all text formatting of any web clips or copy/pasted text when viewed.

I tested this and found that the same note that is unformatted in the newer version looks perfectly fine when viewed from the older version 6.25.1.9091.  The same copy/pasted text displays perfectly in other apps such as Microsoft Word.

Is this a bug, or a known problem with version 10.65.3?  This is frustrating as I use web clipper extensively for research and prefer not to revert back to the older version.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Todd

Just to address your specific question about v. 10, I have not seen this stripping out of formatting from Web clips, when they are within the HTML box created for them. Can't say there isn't some alteration--e.g., just now I copied some text from a Web page with boldface, italics, and a bullet list, and when I pasted it into a note it came through intact, but in the font style and size of v. 10's "Normal Text." I seldom need typeface conformity with a Web page, so this is satisfactory. With an actual Web Clipper clip, the appearance within the HTML box is pretty much as on the Web page.

On 11/7/2023 at 12:07 AM, Signguy said:

Addendum:

I am once again disappointed in newer updated versions.  This is precisely why I stuck with the now ancient version 6.25.1.9091 for so long.  It didn't have some of the flashy new (and arguably nice) features like multi-color highlighting, but it was solid and predictable, especially when it came to web clips.

Totally agree! The basic wordprocessing functionality of Evernote is about 2 decades behind every other program.

• Level 5
14 hours ago, KatharineS said:

Totally agree! The basic wordprocessing functionality of Evernote is about 2 decades behind every other program.

Not sure I'd agree, but perhaps it turns on the meaning of "basic." I find I can write without issues, including copying and pasting, unless I want to edit formatted HTML text pasted from a Website in its original formatting, which I generally don't, and which I wouldn't call "basic." What specific functions are you missing?