Google Authenticator not working and password not working. I am locked out

I just changed jobs and when i got my new laptop my Evernote worked great for 5 days.  Then Friday it started asking me for my google authenticator code, which has not worked in years since I switched phones.  Usually there is an option to send a code via text, that is gone.  In the midst of trying to figure this out my password no longer works so I cannot login on the web.  luckily my phone is still logged in but without the authenticator and password I cannot deactivate 2-step authentication to get access on my laptop.  do I hold out for Evernote support or is there another option?

• Evernote Expert

I guess you did not keep the emergency codes either... If you still have these stored away then that's the way to go.

Otherwise, in the Evernote app on your phone go to Settings. Then choose More Settings. This will load your account settings. Choose the three bar 'hamburger' menu and select Security Summary. Login with your password. Then on the two step verification section select Manage Settings. If you are lucky this will enable you to view backup codes or disable two step verification.  More likely it will prompt you for a code in which case select the option which is something like I forgot my codes.

This will prvide a number of options to obtain a code or use one of the emergency codes.

Once you have access to your account you will need to either disable 2FA or set up one of the many authenticator apps. Google works but many recommened Authy.  You choose whichever you want assuming you want the extra security. Usually it works best to disable 2FA then reenable with your new authenticator.

Thank you for your recommendations agsteele.  no I do not remember where I saved the google emergency codes.  I went to google authenticator to get new codes and it gave me 10 of them, but they are all only 8 digit, not the 16 digit ones evernote is asking for.  I cannot get to the security settings on my phone as it asks for the google authenticator info there as well.  Now that I have tried this again, it has logged me out on my phone as well.  So I now have no access.  it was bound to happen.  

• Level 5

@jperks You need to enter with your user name, your password and one of the 16 digit codes EN showed you when setting up 2FA (and asked to save in a safe place).

All this signing by ... just creates another layer of complexity in the login process. When it stops working, it usually makes no sense to try to heal it.

• 2 weeks later...