Downgrade from Personal to Free

I would like to downgrade my Evernote subscription from Personal to Free. I pay my subscription through Apple, and I'm concerned that if I hit "cancel," my Evernote account will be wiped out entirely. If I do cancel through Apple, will my Evernote account still exist? Thank you.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Dan Kennedy said:

I would like to downgrade my Evernote subscription from Personal to Free. I pay my subscription through Apple, and I'm concerned that if I hit "cancel," my Evernote account will be wiped out entirely. If I do cancel through Apple, will my Evernote account still exist? Thank you.

Hi.  Free access is still access, so yes - you need to cancel your subscription with Apple so they stop taking the money from your account,  but keep on logging into it with your existing user details.  Beware that there are some limitations on a free account, the most important of which is probably what devices you use for access.  Our general advice is to stick to the Web service via Evernote.com, so you still have the ability to change some settings;  plus a mobile version on your phone or tablet.  You are only allowed two devices,  and a limited number of resets - so don't make too many mistakes otherwise you could be locked out of the account for a period.

More on devices here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068

• Level 5

Cancel will cancel the subscription, and that's it. The account is kept, as a Free account.

The downgrade will take place at the end of your subscription period. Make sure you set everything up for the Free account limits BEFORE the date - it can be tricky to reset the synced devices to a Free level after. 

• Evernote Expert
18 hours ago, kactkinson said:

I also want to downgrade my subscription, but do my current subscription through Evernote and not Apple.  

How do I cancel my subscription on Evernote to get free version and NOT lose my current notes?

Access your account settings and choose Cancel. This will set your account to not renew. At that point you will drop to Free. All your existing notes will remain in your account but you will become liable to the Free note and data limits 

• 1 month later...

Just wanted confirm some facts before I change to a free account.

I am also a current paid user. I have about 3K notes + many notebooks in my account. The free account states that "Create up to 50 notes and 1 notebook". I just want to know what will happen to all the existing notes and notebooks structure? I basically use Evernote as a digital vault of information that I have collected through the years. Will I still be able to search through all the notes to find the information that I am looking for?

• Evernote Expert

Your account will, in effect, become an archive. You will not be able to add further notes. You should be able to view, edit, export, share, and delete existing notes. Otherwise the account will be locked until you delete notes and notebooks and go below the new limits.

https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-free-note-limits

Edit: It is very worthwhile doing any housekeeping before you downgrade. In particular I'd consider using tags instead of notebooks. Tag all the notes with the existing notebook name. Then move all the notes into one notebook - this should be the default notebook. Then delete the now empty notebooks. I'd also empty the Trash.

Edited by agsteele
Update
  • Like 1