Evernote is getting slower on my Desktop and Android

Anyone have the same experience? I have been using Evernote since 2018. I find that the program is taking longer and longer time to open over the years. It is really annoying. 

It is worst that it will trigger installation sometimes, it takes forever to load. Please make a simple / light version for people like me! Thank you. 

• Level 5
On 10/19/2023 at 8:53 AM, AlexOoi said:

Anyone have the same experience? I have been using Evernote since 2018. I find that the program is taking longer and longer time to open over the years. It is really annoying. 

It is worst that it will trigger installation sometimes, it takes forever to load. Please make a simple / light version for people like me! Thank you. 

FYI, the forum is largely populated only by other users, not by Evernote staff. If you want to make a suggestion, an email to feedback@evernote.com is probably best. It would be helpful to know a little more about what "people like me" means, too.

• Like 1

There definitely seems to be some optimization issues. When I change the power profile on my computer from Recommended to Better Performance suddenly the app isn't laggy. It really shouldn't need such a high clock speed for basic animations. Something is going on with hardware acceleration in their Electron wrapper.

• Like 1

I too have had problems: Usually the spinning wheel of death occurs when I try to open a note. I'm on a reasonably new Android phone.  Current operating system.  Newest Evernote version.  I can only solve the problem by deleting the Evernote cache.  Problem goes away for a couple of days, then returns.

I am developing a theory that the issue is related to cache size (it grows over time) and available storage space on the phone.  As the cache grows, or the available space shrinks, the issue returns.

Does anyone know of available space recommendations from Evernote for optimal performance for android phones?

• Level 5*

The general experience seems to be that desktops should not be slow.  If they are,  I'd suggest the first thing to try is an escalating series of restarts.

Sign out of Evernote...

1. and back in
  2. dumping the database,  sign back in
  3. dump the database,  restart the device,  sign back in
  4. dump the database,  uninstall the app,  restart the device,  reinstall from Evernote.com,  sign back in
  5. dump the database,  uninstall the app with Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac),  restart the device,  reinstall from Evernote.com,  sign back in

- from 2 onwards,  dumping the database forces a rebuild from the server and restarting the device clears temporary memory.  Revo and Appcleaner remove traces of the app that tend to get left behind with system uninstalls.  To avoid repetitions I tend to go for (5) first time - takes about 30 minutes,  plus time for the database to fully download from the server,  depending on size and network connection speed.

Androids - yep,  mine was fast until I reinstalled recently,  now doesn't seem able to connect.  I run a new-ish Samsung tablet (Tab 7 FE) with 65GB internal storage free and 400GB free on SD card,  so storage is not the issue.  I also uninstall / restarted / reinstalled a couple of times.  10.56 was recently replaced by 10.57 but the update hasn't reached me yet.  Only advice for Androids - if it's working,  don't mess with it;  if its slow,  try a reinstall.

EDIT:  Forgot - If the desktop app seems slow, try selecting the disable Hardware Acceleration option under Settings > Preferences > Application - and scroll down.  Re-enable the setting if this doesn't help

EDIT: Fixed the Android version numbers above - I used the Windows app versions rather than the mobile app...  :blush:

Hello there, 

I too had a same issue earlier I thought It was because of my storage capacity which is almost full with my  Power BI Course sessions But a simple Re-installation process worked for me as suggested by above too. 

I hope this will work for you too.😉