Enable keyboard shortcuts, right-click menus and quick note on the web version

snajdov

Idea

I got the official email that the support for the Linux Electron desktop version has ended.

I am a Linux user, and switching to Windows or MacOS is not an option for me, so I'll have to use the web version.

I thought about using a VM, but it's just too resource-intensive to use it only for Evernote.
I tried using Wine to run the Windows executable on Linux, but the experience was awful. The whole app lagged, context menus are shown as black boxes until you hover over them.

This leaves me to use the Web version, which currently is missing a few key features for me:

1. No keyboard shortcuts
I like using keyboard shortcuts to create new (notes/notebooks/tags/tasks), select multiple notes, and access other areas of the app.
Currently, on the web version, if I use CTRL+N, Chrome opens a new tab, instead of creating a new Note.
The icon for the keyboard shortcuts is missing, so I'm left with using my mouse to select the actions.

2. No right-click (context) menus
I really like to be able to right-click a note and have options such as: duplicate, move, merge, share, email a copy, and export to PDF.
Especially if I have multiple notes selected.
Currently, right-clicking on Chrome shows the default Chrome context menu.

3. Quick Note
This is the feature that has helped me become at least 2x more productive.
Whenever an idea popped up in my head, I just did CTRL+ALT+E and wrote it down. I didn't even need to open Evernote.
This is really important for a lot of people.
I know this may be impossible to implement as part of the Web version, but please:
- At least provide a mini desktop app, just for this purpose, and then we can continue with the Web version.

I'm currently using the Personal plan.
I know the price has increased for the subscription.
I don't mind the increase, but without these key features for me, I don't think I'm getting the "bang for my buck".
I don't think any Linux user will be willing to pay without these features.

I really hope I get an answer to this.

I'm a programmer and will be also willing to code these features with Electron, by emulating the Web version and adding these on top.
I have started this in private, but support and documentation from the Evernote team will really help me to provide this for my fellow Linux community.

22 replies to this idea

• Level 5

The web Client is way better than it used to he. However it is still a website, running in a browser session. This excludes the level of control needed for functions like keyboard shortcuts (those of the browser go first), own menus and similar.

For the Quick Note I never understood why click to open the client, click to add a new note and start typing was not quick enough. The helper won’t be there unless EN is not running, BTW. What you describe doesn’t work with v10, client or not.

You can have several tabs open with the web client. Make one of them a Home tab, and add the scratchpad there. It’s basically the same, a place to drop an idea.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This excludes the level of control needed for functions like keyboard shortcuts (those of the browser go first), own menus and similar.

I disagree with this.

It's quite possible to have personalized keyboard shortcuts and context menus and have them prioritized over those of the browser.
This is done by listening to the `keyup` and/or `keydown` events, and calling: `event.preventDefault()` and/or `event.stopPropagation()`.
There are certain reserved keyboard shortcuts like `CTRL+N` that I mentioned earlier, but there's no problem with using `CTRL+SHIFT+N` (at least available in Firefox), or just using other generally available shortcuts for all browsers. (I'll be happy to learn/adapt to new ones)

Context menus (right-clicks) can be built and stylized completely, with no restrictions, using the `contextmenu` event.
This has always been available, and I don't know why Evernote doesn't use it.
They can basically map all the actions AND have custom styling consistent with their UI.

32 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

For the Quick Note I never understood why click to open the client, click to add a new note and start typing was not quick enough.

Because of the mental context-switching you're doing with the extra steps.
I have four virtual desktops, each dedicated for certain things.
One of those is just for Evernote, which I always have it open in that virtual desktop.
When I'm working in another virtual desktop, I'd like to quickly jot down a note (in a few seconds), and get back to work straight away.
Sometimes I'm writing something about what I'm currently seeing, and the Quick Note enables me unobstructed view to see and write at the same time.
Switching to Evernote to write down the note will require that I:
1. Open another window, or in my case, move to another virtual desktop
2. If I'm writing about something I'm currently viewing, I'd have to go back and forth between views, to finish writing my idea
3. In Evernote, I'd have to navigate to the Default Notebook (because that's where I want to store all my unprocessed notes)
4. And click to create a new note
With these actions, I've already defocused from my work (I'm exaggerating here, but you get my point).

The Quick Note feature is a LOT better, faster, and easier to access.

52 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can have several tabs open with the web client. Make one of them a Home tab, and add the scratchpad there. It’s basically the same, a place to drop an idea.

The will work OK if you're working in the browser.
But usually, I'm on my IDE, drawing diagrams offline, or just in my file system browsing other files.
The value of using Quick Notes from ANYWHERE is invaluable to me.

We can't ignore that without these features, Evernote has taken a huge step backward for Linux users.
Enough, for me not to continue with a paid plan.

But, like I said, I'd be willing to even support an unofficial Electron-based solution with the right support, before canceling my subscription.

• Level 5

I doubt EN will invest that much effort into the web client, to practically convert it into a web based app.

That's what they already have, clients running on a browser (framework) backend.

Why should they ? Just to please a few Linux users (total market share of Linus on desktop is below 5%, and probably many of these run another OS in addition, one that can be used with the desktop client) ? Everybody else HAS a working client, and doesn't need it duplicated to a browser window.

EN has decided to stop supporting a Linux client, and asking them to introduce it again by massively investing dev hours into the web client is nonsensical.

I understand your point. And you're right about the business perspective.

But then again, this is a feature "request", and my reasoning behind why people like me would like to have it.
They can ignore it, I'm just explaining my POV and why without these it'd probably make me move beyond Evernote.
There's no point in paying double the amount with the new increase, for half the features.

As for the other things:

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

and probably many of these run another OS in addition, one that can be used with the desktop client

They probably do, but what's the point in having Evernote if you need to "move a mountain" to access it?
I'm not going to run a VM in parallel to use it, nor spin one up whenever I need to write something.

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Everybody else HAS a working client, and doesn't need it duplicated to a browser window.

Of course.
I'm just mentioning this because with these features in place, everyone will get it (even Linux users) and they wouldn't need to do a per-OS customization (like they do right now with MacOS and Windows).
If anything, they'll reduce the resources needed for cross-platform support, if they provide them in a single unified way supported by all OSs'.

In the end, it's up to them to decide.
Again, please treat this as a "request". Whether it is good or bad, reasonable or not, I'd like it to be shown here.

20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

What was the question?

Whether or not they'll be interested in supporting this in the near future.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The other possibilities are support or the feedback option.

21 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You would need to ask it of Support anyways

Sorry, I'm new on this forum. I thought this: "Product Feedback/Feature Requests" is a suitable place to ask for new Evernote features.
You both mention "Support", but what exactly do you mean? Email or some other site?
The option to leave feedback has been removed from the latest Linux version. Any other link I could do it at?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, snajdov said:

supporting this in the near future.

"Near future" I'd doubt - there's some technical debt to sort out,  and like I said in one of these threads,  it make sense to fix the 'mainstream' product before trying to port it elsewhere - no point in having two teams working with one having to go back to square one from time to time if the leads change track.  In some months' time - maybe.

We're mainly other users here.  Evernoters do read the forums,  but when is open to question.

Direct contacts to   https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or feedback@evernote.com will get read. 

Thanks for the contacts, @gazumped! I just sent them my request.

I understand that this is not a priority, but if it's possible to have this in 5-6 months' time, I'd be happy to continue with my subscription.
I'm just writing my thoughts here, in case someone from Evernote comes by this thread and reads it.

Without these, I'd be forced to look for alternatives.
Like I said earlier, there's no point in paying double for half the features.

In any case, thank you for the discussion (you also @PinkElephant)!
I hope the Evernote team now has a better picture of what the Linux user faces.
I also hope someone else from the Linux community comes by and shares their thoughts on this, as well.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
39 minutes ago, snajdov said:

I understand that this is not a priority, but if it's possible to have this in 5-6 months' time, I'd be happy to continue with my subscription.

Sadly, my guess is that this will be five years rather than 5 months. And maybe not even then. The statement from Evernote was quite firm. The development of a Linux app has been abandoned. There is no suggestion that this is temporary even though there is hope amongst users ;) If you need a solution with six months then make a new plan without a dedicated app.

Likewise there is no expectation of a standalone QuickNote function. You could possibly create something via the API which opens and adds stuff to either  a new note or appends to an existing note but that's beyond me. You seem willing to have a go.

As for overriding the browser defaults I think that there is no hope for that ever. Everytime an individual browser changed its code there would be a requirement to rework the web client and quite probably on a browser by browser basis.  So Chrome and Firefox would likely need separate work. Given how often Firefox seems to reset things I could see this becoming a neverending task.

No harm in suggesting but advisable to manage your expectations. 🤕

• Level 5

I could just copy and past your comment as an answer.

It seems you believe designating you as a „developer“ makes you a glorified VIP, not to be interrupted in its circles by minor creatures.

Better stick to your keyboard, pizza and Diet Coke.

Just to say something even you might accept as “constructive“ enough: Breaking off the development of the Linux client was a clear signal that this market niche is not targeted any more. Don’t expect the web client to be converted into an „as is“ replacement for a full client.

To avoid contact with the ordinary folk in the forum, better use the feedback@evernote.com address. Its seems perfect for your mindset to me: It will be read by EN PM, but it won’t be answered …

• Evernote Expert
44 minutes ago, llabusch93 said:

I see that you may not fully grasp the topic at hand. It's important to let us and other developers carry on with our discussion without interruptions

I think that you may have missed the nature of these forums. They are user-to-user with very few developers active. So whenever you contribute you can expect other users to pitch in. No limitations.

7 hours ago, llabusch93 said:

The user stopped releasing updates at the beginning of August. I've opened an issue to inquire about this and offered my help. I also emailed them, but haven't received a response yet.

That corellates with the end of the Evernote beta for Linux. A dedicated Linux app for Evernote is a dead project. If you can write something without access to the Evernote code then please do so. It will be a continuous drain on effort as Evernote adds or amends features. But it may be well supported by other Linux users. Good luck with that approach.

10 hours ago, agsteele said:

If you can write something without access to the Evernote code then please do so. It will be a continuous drain on effort as Evernote adds or amends features. But it may be well supported by other Linux users.

I agree with this.

18 hours ago, llabusch93 said:

Perhaps we could collaborate on this project?

My thoughts so far on the three requests are these:

1. We can enable global shortcuts easily if Evernote would be willing to give us the uncompiled front-end code (i.e. before all function names are garbled up).
    Or, at least give us consistent function names for a limited number of actions to perform.
    1. If we don't get it, then every version will have newly hashed function names, and the integration will fail
    2. If we try to query some of the elements and simulate clicks on them, it's just a matter of time before that fails, as well
    3. Limited access or aliased functions would also be fine.
  2. I believe we can simulate the quick note option on our own, so no Evernote support is needed. This just ties in with the access to the front-end code in (1).
  3. About the right-click context menus: I believe that since Evernote is supporting the Web version, it will be a great thing if they could take care of it. All Web version users (of which there are many), would benefit from it.
    And, again, if we do it on our own, granted access to (1) is imperative.

So, essentially, the way I see it is that if Evernote would be willing to give us consistent access to functions for creating notes/notebooks/stacks/... on the front end (say an SDK for the local JavaScript), I believe that everything will be done, quickly.
I'm willing to support a version if I don't have to break my back to do it. Otherwise, no game. My time is too valuable to me, and I'm already paying them a yearly subscription.

A final note from me
So far, using all channels I could find to address this issue, Evernote has not given me any response. I hate to say it, but I'll probably switch to another system. I have until March/April when my subscription renews to think about it. I got used to Evernote so much, but I'm not willing to give them money if half of my daily workflows are cut from me. I've already looked into Obsidian, Logseq, and Tana, and I'll search for others.

Either Evernote becomes willing to help us out a little, or it's farewell from me.

• Level 5

All that many words to cloak a little blackmail, wrapped up in the last sentence.

Translated it reads „Hand over the code you own, or I will leave“. I think your 100 buck lever(age) is a rather short stick to move a large rock.

We all can’t know, but I doubt they will develop and maintain an SDK just to please users in a segment they already decided to disregard.

19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

All that many words to cloak a little blackmail, wrapped up in the last sentence.

Translated it reads „Hand over the code you own, or I will leave“

Hey, @PinkElephant.
I don't know if you live inside this forum or not, but you know you don't have to reply to every message to share your opinion on matters you've only half understood?
I'm not impressed that you have 22k posts, with all this ***** posting...

If you know anything about how front-end clients work, you'll know that we already have direct access to the code, because Evernote has to serve it to us, for OUR computers to execute it. We can see the code, we can execute it, we can change it, and we can call functions. I just want "unhashed" or a *limited* set of aliased function names with limited access to them, so that they don't change on every version. Every time we click, OUR computer calls those functions, locally on our computer. I just want to tie that function call with a consistent function name, so it's worth the effort.
In the end, it's up to Evernote to decide what is safe and acceptable for them, not you...

19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I think your 100 buck lever(age) is a rather short stick to move a large rock.

I'm expressing my POV, how this affects me, and MY thoughts on MY next steps forward. I know that one user is not enough to move the rock. Stop explaining the obvious.

21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We all can’t know, but I doubt they will develop and maintain an SDK just to please users in a segment they already decided to disregard.

They are already developing and supporting it. We want the Web version's SDK...

I want this topic to be a discussion with opinions on what COULD be done, not your sorry-ass shitposting.
So, STFU if you don't have an idea that could help us.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, snajdov said:

I want this topic to be a discussion with opinions on what COULD be done, not your sorry-ass shitposting.
So, STFU if you don't have an idea that could help us.

Comments to live by.  I'm a moderator here,  and unless people play nice I get offended.   You don't want me to be offended....

• Like 1

I just found an Chrome extension that allows you to add keyboard shortcuts to any website

It is called Keyboard Shortcuts for Websites. Just tested on Outlook Web, and an action that used to require clicking on a particular icon now has a keyboard shortcut

chrome://extensions/?id=dgigbgdgmhhncfgaidcbmafkcmagkool

Looks like a very useful extension, not just for Evernote Web but any website where you would like to add keyboard shortcuts

Additionally, you can see all keyboard shortcuts you have created for a particular website which will be handy too

• Like 1

I am not a Linux user, however I  would very much  appreciate keyboard-shortcuts on the web version. Basically I am using a desktop provided by my  employer and cannot install the desktop  app, so using EN web version. So shortcuts would come in handy..  I must be doable as eg. Readwise does allow it.. 😉