Miss typical Windows KeyStrockes such as Alt F for File Menu

José Adriano

Idea

Recently I've been forced to leave EN Legacy and got very frustrated with that.

Amongst several missing features there is one that compromises a lot our productivity : the typical Windows KeyStrokes for accessing the main menu ARE NOT THERE ANYMORE !

Such as Alt F , for File Menu or even Alt E, for Edit Menu and so forth.

This is soooooooooooo simple and it's not there ! How could this be ?

I'm a "keyboard man" and I had all of those keystrokes at my fingerprints, literally.

Please come back with this feature !

7 replies to this idea

1 minute ago, José Adriano said:

Amongst several missing features there is one that compromises a lot our productivity : the typical Windows KeyStrokes for accessing the main menu ARE NOT THERE ANYMORE !

I agree that accessing the menus is more difficult. I rarely find the need to use the menus as most of the things I use all the time have their own shortcut keys. You proabably realise this already, but pressing the alt key puts the focus on the left hand menu item (File). You can then use the arrow keys and enter to access menu items. Not as convenient but at least you don't need to use the mouse.

Accessing the menu items in the "typical Windows way" would be very easy to automate using AutoHotKey if you wanted to.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, José Adriano said:

…  ARE NOT THERE ANYMORE ! … This is soooooooooooo simple and …

Now I would expect anything serious. Instead it looks like 😭

If it would be simple, it would be there. If it’s not there, and you want it, ask support.

That’s simple !

(And if not: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new )

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, José Adriano said:

got very frustrated

Judging by the four recent posts on more or less the same topic,  I can tell.  Please don't post more than once on any issue.  The forums are (mostly) user-supported and it's just adding to our workload.  Plus - if I try to merge posts together...  things have been known to go badly.  Please don't make me need to try again... 🤨

7 hours ago, Mike P said:

I agree that accessing the menus is more difficult. I rarely find the need to use the menus as most of the things I use all the time have their own shortcut keys. You proabably realise this already, but pressing the alt key puts the focus on the left hand menu item (File). You can then use the arrow keys and enter to access menu items. Not as convenient but at least you don't need to use the mouse.

Accessing the menu items in the "typical Windows way" would be very easy to automate using AutoHotKey if you wanted to.

Alt F does not put the focus as you said, at least not here for me. 

I know AutoHotKey . I've used it to build a kind of ATM environment "hidding" Windows underneath and leaving only Internet Explorer visible, on a Touch Screen PC. But it is just soooooooo silly to have to use it to fix something that would be expected on ANY Windows program. That's my point : I dont need AI WHILE so basic things are still missing.

Anyway thanks for your cooperation and understanding of the issue. Best wishes !

10 hours ago, José Adriano said:

Alt F does not put the focus as you said, at least not here for me. 

I didn't say Alt+F. I said simply pressing the Alt key.

17 hours ago, Mike P said:

You proabably realise this already, but pressing the alt key puts the focus on the left hand menu item (File).

I agree that we shouldn't need to use AHK to get basic processes to work but I'm a firm believer in taking action into my own hands if I can, rather than waiting for EN to implement something that they might never do. That's allowed me to simplify some of V10s more tortuous work flows and introduce things that were not even in legacy.

5 hours ago, Mike P said:

I didn't say Alt+F. I said simply pressing the Alt key.

Indeed ! Sorry about that...

5 hours ago, Mike P said:

I agree that we shouldn't need to use AHK to get basic processes to work but I'm a firm believer in taking action into my own hands if I can, rather than waiting for EN to implement something that they might never do. That's allowed me to simplify some of V10s more tortuous work flows and introduce things that were not even in legacy.

Yes, you're right. Maybe I could even create other solutions as well. Thanks !

• Like 1