I really can’t be bothered anymore

I have had Evernote since 2011.  I have gone Down to only 2 devices but I can only upgrade by spending $3000 on hardware.  That will not happen because I only use it to store stuff once a month.  The web version was recommended but now I get fed up with the login prompts to upgrade.  

i don’t need Evernote when Google Keep is free.

GOODBYE!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

This person is running Mac OS Snow Leopard. That came out in 2009. They need a new computer. It's insane to blame Evernote for this. This post has to be a joke. You can't expect a 14 year old operating system to continue to support modern software. This is classic PEBKAC and has nothing to do with Evernote.

• Like 1

Hah!   I was running Mac OS Snow Leopard but upgraded the computer to El Capitan before it wouldn’t take more recent updates to Mac OS.  Evernote still worked and it worked up to this month.  Evernote decided to introduce something new and make it payable.  And that meant introducing a pop up control that you can’t avoid unless you want to buy it.  It’s good choice if you want to buy only what you are presented with - but I have information trapped in Evernote that I can’t now extract.

I suggest you backup all your information to avoid situations where you are given no choice.

6 minutes ago, angelic ally said:

El Capitan

That's an 8 year old operating system. This has nothing to do with Evernote You clearly have a 15 year old computer if it was running Snow Leopard and can't go past El Capitan. This has nothing do to with Evernote. The Chromium project recently dropped support for older operating systems which of course affects the Electron framework Evernote uses. You need a modern computer, soon you won't have a functional web browser. You are only exposing yourself to security vulnerabilities by continuing to use EOL hardware. I'd suggest you backup all of your data offsite because you are vulnerable to something like ransomware if you continue to use a device that has no support.

Go out and buy a cheap Windows laptop. No need to spend $3000 on hardware. Anything made in the last few years will be a huge upgrade over the dinosaur you are taking a huge risk by using.

Don't blame Evernote for your choice to use unsupported hardware.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, angelic ally said:

but I have information trapped in Evernote that I can’t now extract.

Use evernote-backup to connect directly to the API and pull enex files of your notebooks.

https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup

It doesn't solve your actual problem and is just a bandaid, but you'll have your data out of the platform if that is what you wish.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Go out and buy a cheap Windows laptop.

or if you already have a monitor and keyboard... I bought a windows micro pc for less than $500 on Amazon... it's not a gaming machine but it's plenty capable for home and office use.  But I also recognize how unattractive that is to those in the Mac universe. 

Vinnie  

• Level 5

Nobody needs to buy a cheap Windows laptop. A MacBook Air M1 (which is still on sale) will not be much more, and eat 5 of these Windows cripples for breakfast. Buy refurbished for a further discount.

If it should be a budget desktop, get a M1 Mac mini.

My M1 Mac mini (2022) has significantly better benchmark scores than my fully specced MacBook Pro with i7 and AMD VEGA GPU from 2019. The MBP sold for more than 4.000 € …

Mackid1993 had a good idea that would let me export my old notes.  Unfortunately it seemed a bit too codey for me to do that.  I would not buy a windows pc for security reasons.  I would not buy a MacBook Air because I recently got a new iPad .  I have deleted all old versions of Evernote because I find I can live without it.

I do have a question.  Do you feel safe doing business with a company (EVERNOTE) that gives no warning that it will change the terms of the contract, and which will at the same time not allow you to take any ameliorating action?

• Level 5

You can export using a desktop client. The iPad doesn't run a desktop client, and that's entirely the decision of Apple. 

You can export using the API, for example through the above mentioned GitHub project.

You can export (note by note, because the mobile client will only load 1 note at a time) from the mobile client as well.

You can let your account slip to Free, preserving your data, stopping any need for a payment.

There are competing apps that will do the export for you, through the API.

You don't mention several of these options, either out of ignorance of the possibilities or out of spreading bad will.

Users received an information about the raise of the subscription prices. Either by direct mail, or those on one of the shops by their vendor. There were 4 weeks lead time, as with any other subscription changing prices I run. The talk about "no warning" should be discussed with support, not in a public forum where we can't check - but probability and own experience speaks against your position.

1 hour ago, angelic ally said:

Mackid1993 had a good idea that would let me export my old notes.  Unfortunately it seemed a bit too codey for me to do that.  I would not buy a windows pc for security reasons.  I would not buy a MacBook Air because I recently got a new iPad .  I have deleted all old versions of Evernote because I find I can live without it.

I do have a question.  Do you feel safe doing business with a company (EVERNOTE) that gives no warning that it will change the terms of the contract, and which will at the same time not allow you to take any ameliorating action?

No programming required, the command line arguments are in the documentation. Not buying a Windows PC for security reasons is a huge misconception. Ever enterprise runs on Windows. Keep your machine patched (which you already don't do) and don't install junk off the internet like with any computer. An iPad isn't a computer, it is a mobile device. Lastly the TOS you agree to with Evernote like any other TOS gives them the right to modify their TOS at any time. You are simply mistaken in all areas here, this isn't how any of this works. I suggest you export your notes on a more modern computer as there really is no solution that is going to work given the constraints you have.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...