Intermittent Lagginess in Windows Client

Has anyone noticed some intermittent lagginess in the Windows client. It seems to come and go. It's particularly noticeable when I adjust the size of the sidebar. Sometimes it's smooth others the animation is choppy. It's not my hardware, I'm on a capable laptop with up to date drivers and fully patched Windows. It also isn't an issue when using the web client. I have hardware acceleration enabled as well. It's strange because it comes and goes which makes me think it's an server side issue with EN.

4 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Has anyone noticed some intermittent lagginess in the Windows client. It seems to come and go. It's particularly noticeable when I adjust the size of the sidebar. Sometimes it's smooth others the animation is choppy. It's not my hardware, I'm on a capable laptop with up to date drivers and fully patched Windows. It also isn't an issue when using the web client. I have hardware acceleration enabled as well. It's strange because it comes and goes which makes me think it's an server side issue with EN.

Hi mackid1993,

I also have an "intermittent lagginess" issue. It's been there through all of the EN Windows updates and can also happen in the EN Web too. In a note, when I remove a tag then add a different tag, the note can sit in the old tags list of notes (but the tags number counts are immediately changed by 1). It can take up to minutes before the note finally disappears from the old tags list of notes. I've learned that if I click on another tag, then click back on the first tag, the old note is usually gone from the list. I submitted a ticket (Rolling out Evernote desktop 10.61 – Evernote Help & Learning) a month ago. Still waiting for an update that will fix my lagginess issue.

Way back when, that would have a great moment to grab a cigarette... haha, but I don't smoke anymore : )

Good luck with your lagginess issue. Cheers, Duhtch

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

which makes me think it's an server side issue with EN.

Best to contact Support next time it happens and send your activity logs.  See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314078 for more on that.

Evernote seem to be keeping a close eye on latency issues,  but you may also be subject to other traffic on your server,  or internet traffic generally.

• Level 5
On 10/6/2023 at 9:10 PM, mackid1993 said:

It's particularly noticeable when I adjust the size of the sidebar. Sometimes it's smooth others the animation is choppy.

Ah, got it now. Animation lagginess seems to me way more likely to be local than server side, since sidebar width, etc., is not communicated to the server. Wonder if it's to do with Electron, or with other stuff going on in the background.

12 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Ah, got it now. Animation lagginess seems to me way more likely to be local than server side, since sidebar width, etc., is not communicated to the server. Wonder if it's to do with Electron, or with other stuff going on in the background.

Maybe, it comes and goes. I use a Surface Laptop Studio which is a pretty high end laptop. It has a Core i7 11370H, 16GB of RAM, and discrete Nvidia RTX 3050ti GPU (however to conserve power I ensure most applications use the iGPU). It is definitely some Electron overhead that needs to be fixed because the web app is really smooth.

• Like 1

This seems to have something to do with Tags being expanded in the sidebar. When they are collapsed it isn't as bad. It also happens in the Webapp. I opened a ticket with support.

Edit: It seems to be hardware dependant as well. When my laptop is plugged in it's better and my desktop is fine. This seems to be just another optimization issue one of the many they've been working on.