Backup/alternative strategies?

1 hour ago, hyyen said:

Anyone else thinking about what to do if EV gets rid of the free tier or maybe go out of business?

Download their notes?

Attempt to migrate to some alternative service?

hrm... I think I might subscribe maybe?

• Like 1

I've accumulated a lot of notes over the years but I don't upload enough in a given month to justify $130 a year.

Plus even as a subscriber, the possibility of the service going out of business would be approximately the same, so I'd still need a migration strategy to preserve the notes and find a way to keep using them as well as adding to them.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, hyyen said:

I've accumulated a lot of notes over the years but I don't upload enough in a given month to justify $130 a year.

Plus even as a subscriber, the possibility of the service going out of business would be approximately the same, so I'd still need a migration strategy to preserve the notes and find a way to keep using them as well as adding to them.

I’ve never uploaded enough to justify even the old price but I’ve paid over the years because I value what the software provides and what it does for me.  If you don’t want to pay, that’s your call but another thread isn’t need.  There is plenty of discussion on Evernote alternatives already on the forum (hosted and paid for by Evernote).  Just go out and search.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
50 minutes ago, hyyen said:

the possibility of the service going out of business would be approximately the same

Yeah - approximately zero.  If you don't want to subscribe,  that's up to you.  If you're worried your free ride will go away - find something else to use.  There are lots of options...

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Fortunately for everybody EN offers exporting to 3 formats that practically every other notes app can import, or that can be opened in a browser. This is not a given thing - many other apps import happily, but don’t offer good export facilities.

It’s up to the user to decide, because it depends on what he intends to do.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Fortunately for everybody EN offers exporting to 3 formats that practically every other notes app can import, or that can be opened in a browser. This is not a given thing - many other apps import happily, but don’t offer good export facilities.

It’s up to the user to decide, because it depends on what he intends to do.

Thanks that's good to know.

As for other notes apps or services, I did search in the forum for "alternative" or "backup" and didn't really find previous discussions.

Over the years I have looked for other services, don't really appear to be any.  For instance, MS One Note is really nothing like EN.

• Level 5

The main question is if it needs to be multi platform or not. Apple only is the easiest: Apple Notes as a simple setup, or DEVONThink as fully featured.

For everyone mixing platforms, it gets more complex. This is not my turf, I left Windows for the Mac, and never used Android.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The main question is if it needs to be multi platform or not. Apple only is the easiest: Apple Notes as a simple setup, or DEVONThink as fully featured.

For everyone mixing platforms, it gets more complex. This is not my turf, I left Windows for the Mac, and never used Android.

I use Notes but I'm skeptical of the search in Apple products.

I will check out DevonThink.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

As to 'alternatives',  Internet searches also work... https://noteapps.info

Thanks, good resource.

• Like 1