drag and drop note to notebooks and tags (redux)

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Same issue, different decade.  I saw the red banner in Legacy, so I launched Evernote 10 and tried to drag a note onto a tag (because that’s what I do all day and apparently what lots of users did in 2012) and it did not work, aka it did not tag the note.  (“Check for updates” reported that I was running the most up-to-date version of EN.)

You can check out this 11-year-old thread if you want to understand why this feature is amazing and how it works. I’m surprised that no one has brought up the absence much beloved feature from 2012.  Possibly because we’re all using Legacy and haven’t noticed.

I should clarify that I see drag and drop works for the notebooks and tags dropdowns in EN 10 , but not for the shortcuts of tags the way it does in Legacy.  (Shortcuts of notebooks appear to work)  I keep a selection of tags for current projects in shortcuts so when I create a new note I like to drag it to the relevant tag shortcut.  If a tag is no longer in heavy use I drag it to the bottom of the tag list or delete it if the project is done.

• Level 5
  • Solution

Why don’t you first learn to use the app ? You can start judging when you show at least basic understanding.

Hint: In v10 you draw the tag on the note.

There are no shortcuts on tags. You can place notes, notebooks or searches in shortcuts. If a note has all necessary tags, select them, ctrl/cmd-C, go to the note you want to tag, ctrl/cmd-V. All tags will be assigned to the new note.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Why don’t you first learn to use the app ? You can start judging when you show at least basic understanding.

Hint: In v10 you draw the tag on the note.

I wouldn't know where to look that up in order to learn it.  Searching and searching for two hours and all it took was to apply a little judging to get a hint.  Thanks?

• Level 5

Some is by trial and error. Those of us like me who adventured into v10 3 years ago have had a head start (a bumpy one, true).

There is an Evernote YT channel with a lot of pretty good videos. Unfortunately new content is missing since the old team was laid off. But for the basics it’s still a source:

https://youtube.com/@evernote?si=e4Kg_xJUcyHd-kYK

There was just something so satisfying about dragging a note onto a tag shortcut.  Now if I want to recreate that sensation in EN10 I have to drag the note directly onto a tag or onto a notebook.  Or onto a shortcut of a notebook.

There was just something so satifsying about having a consistent user interface.  Now if I want to recreate that sensation I have to use Legacy.

Hrm. I might not be following... On v10 you can put a tag in the Shortcuts area and then drop that tag (from the shortcut) onto the note editor or the note in the side bar? So very similar (and seems like a better fit to me to drop the tag on the note vs the note on the tag)

1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

Hrm. I might not be following... On v10 you can put a tag in the Shortcuts area and then drop that tag (from the shortcut) onto the note editor or the note in the side bar? So very similar (and seems like a better fit to me to drop the tag on the note vs the note on the tag)

1) The change replaces all of those positive endorphin-releasing "micro-rewards" generated by dragging thousands of notes onto dozens of tag shortcuts over the past 11 years with "micro-annoyances" of having to tag in the reverse direction.

2) The change is not consistent - the Notebooks and Tags sidebars are still able to accept note drags, as can Notebooks in the Shortcuts sidebar.  

3) The change seems arbitrary

4) The change goes against broader UI history and user expectations -- The "Sidebar" concept in EN Classic with its sections for Notebooks, Tags, Shortcuts, etc is analogous to folders in email and file explorer apps - two of the most ubiquitous desktop app experiences. Users can drag and drop notes into notebooks or tags or shortcuts in a manner similar to moving emails or files into folders. The tag shortcut in EN Legacy in this scenario served as a kind of meta-folder-alias into which users dragged their notes for tagging. EN 10 reverses the direction of not just EN Legacy but the past 28 years of sidebar dragging. 

The dragging was one way for 11 years and then it was reversed but not across-the-board.  So why reverse it at all?  It just seems like the EN 10 interface team is either messing with us or they don't know what they're doing. I don't know what to compare it to. I was gonna say it's like Apple's "Scroll direction: Natural" introduction but they were consistent and left a checkbox to switch it back for those who preferred the old way.  Doesn't inspire me to go deeper into EN 10 when I dip my toe for the old note-drag micro-reward and a piranha gnaws my toe off.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, chuckkahn said:

The change

While I understand that v10 is 'different',  it is what it is.  It will also be the only choice in an indeterminate number of months.  You could certainly feed your feelings back to Evernote via the app (we're mainly other users here) but I wouldn't expect things to change in the short term - they're mainly focussed on making things quicker and more reliable at present.  Meantime the military (I believe) have a phrase - "embrace the suck";  welcome to v10.