How can I trust EverNote if data suddenly disappeared from it?!

dmitry_bond

Idea

It is not a first time I noticed - DATA DISAPPEARED from EverNote!

On my disk I have an exported notes for some of synopsizes I wrote for IT courses I completed. Now I tried to find it in EverNote BUT IT IS NOT THERE!

So, after course completion I exported a synopsis to disk but now I discovered - there is no such note in EverNote!
And I know for 100%-sure I never deleted that!

How is that possible?!

How can I trust EverNote if some very important notes silently disappeared from it?!

And perhaps I could think - there might be "auto-archiving of old notes" BUT(!) some recent notes also disappeared! So, I can guess "auto-archiving" for notes older than year or more but when a new notes (a month ago) silently disappeared - that is critical bug in EverNote!

Also I found - a bunch of very important notes suddenly appears in Trash! HOW?! I never deleted it! And I even could not think to delete that! So, for sure this is another critical bug in EverNote - it may randomly send notes to trash! Taking into account huge lags in UI I can guess - it may do that. Also please note - this is on Core i5-13500/32Gb RAM PC, so you can compare - how big UI lags would be on older computers!!! Performance of EverNote UI processing is deadly bad. 😞

So, idea is: 

• need a journal of "notes operations" - what notes created, what deleted, exported, etc - anything related to note life cycle.
  • need an option to search also in trash (for cases when note appears in trash due to lag in UI)
    • So, for example - 2 new checkboxes: "Search in trash" and "Search in lifecycle journal" - to see if any of notes were deleted or moved or whatever
      In this case should be enough to search in note captions only, do not need to search in note's content (ex: for "lifecycle journal" - only note caption is actual)
  • also - please return back "Note size" column to the view! How can I see the difference between notes without seeing its size?! 

Update:

• I check all things once again. Seems the main problem - lot of notes appears in Trash without my actions! How is that possible at all?!... 
    I remember I created a new notebook and all notes related to certain education-provider moved to it, but some of notes instead appears in Trash. Why?! Lag in UI? What other reasons could be?...

6 replies to this idea

55 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Which version of Evernote are you using? An update addressing the lost/missing content issue was released earlier. You should be on 10.62.2

10.61.10-winstore-public. 
On "Check Updates" it shows nothing. So, seems 10.61.* is latest.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, dmitry_bond said:

So, seems 10.61.* is latest.

Whenever Evernote issues a new update it's released over a period of days or weeks because 1) the company has millions of users - too many attempted downloads in a short period could crash their server; and 2) the various 'stores' - Apple, Google and Windows - all have their own acceptance process to go through before updates are added to those sites.

Checking an installed app for updates will often still show "you have the latest version" when there is a new one out there.

If you wish to update as soon as possible, the best way is to download the latest version from the website at  https://evernote.com/download

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, dmitry_bond said:

10.61.10-winstore-public. 
On "Check Updates" it shows nothing. So, seems 10.61.* is latest.

As @gazumped says. Plus, to observe, that the store versions of the app have some significant limitations. I'd recommend uninstalling the store app and going to the link suggested and switching to the direct download.

And this might not be relevant, but one explanation for notes winding up in trash without you specifically deleting the note may be related to merging... I believe that when you merge notes the original, unmerged, notes are moved to trash by the system.  Have you merged any notes? 

Vinnie