Poor Autofocus on Close Content for multi-camera iPhones

bgt10000

Ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 14 with multiple lenses, I've run into a problem scanning smaller receipts with Scannable. The auto capture will not engage unless I fill the screen with the document by getting closer, but the app does a poor job of focusing once I get closer than a certain distance. This results in very blurry captures of any smaller receipts I want to scan. Has anyone else encountered this issue and/or found a workaround?

• Level 5

It is known that the camera system of the iPhone 14 series has a problem when old camera software is integrated into apps.

Since Scannabale is still available, but not maintained any more, this is what happens to you. You can contact support, but I don’t expect any fixes of these aged EN apps.

Use the build in scanner instead, it should work. Or switch to another scanning app.

• 2 months later...

This is also a problem on the iPhone 15 Pro Max - and the iPad Pro, etc. It is NOT the hardware - I have had a ticket open for a bit with no real response or update. To the naysayers, I have tested the same hardware with MANY scenarios - using just the camera (native app) is fine; using another scanning app is fine; using another notes app is fine...the problem is somewhere in Evernote. 

• Evernote Expert

The OP was reporting an issue with Scannable. The reason for the problem with Scannable was explained. Is that your issue?

Otherwise perhaps open a thread which isn't on the Scannable sub-forum where you might find others who share your experience.

• Level 5
On 12/8/2023 at 11:35 PM, mjd9ball said:

This is also a problem on the iPhone 15 Pro Max - and the iPad Pro, etc. It is NOT the hardware - I have had a ticket open for a bit with no real response or update. To the naysayers, I have tested the same hardware with MANY scenarios - using just the camera (native app) is fine; using another scanning app is fine; using another notes app is fine...the problem is somewhere in Evernote. 

Do you even read posts in the thread before dropping your own ? For example the one right above yours ?

This is a known problem since the iPhone 14, when Apple introduced a new SDK for app developers, to replace the prior one. Most apps have done so, but EN hasn’t, and the related apps neither. This causes blurred, defocussed pictures once getting closer to the object. This happens on all iPhones 14 and 15, regardless of their further specs.

It is well documented, and the ball is with EN to integrate the new camera software provided by Apple into their apps.

We can only send yet another support ticket to keep up the pressure.

Yes, please fix this! Makes it impossible to scan smaller notes, receipts et cetera. The problem and solutions for how other developers have solved it are available in this Reddit thread: