Attempting a Crosshair Screenshot of an app window captures a blank screen + a Notification

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

With my iMac's screen filled with a variety of windows, I pressed the Shift-Command-5 keyboard short to take a Crosshair Screenshot.  I then used Skitch's crosshair cursor to click on the frontmost app window (Safari).  Normally, this captures just the app window.  But if there happens to be a Notification in the upper right corner of the screen, the resulting Skitch window shows a Hi-Res 5120 x 2880 totally blank screen background with just the small Notification popup.

I can't count the number of times this has happened.  If I dismiss the Notification, capturing the entire app window with a single click works fine.  However, if I want to retain the Notification, I must carefully drag Skitch's crosshair cursor from one corner of the desired app window to the diagonal corner (assuming it's visible).

Note:  I've attached a Skitch screenshot of a blank screen + Notification.

Skitch - notification screenshot.png

• Level 5
  • Solution

You shouldn’t expect any more changes of the Skitch app. Just watch at the change log in the AppStore.

I would start using a different app. My favorite is Shottr, more modern and advanced in its editing capabilities. Save shots to an Import Folder to import right away into EN.

Of course you can contact support (which is not us).

• Level 5

Did you check the release history ?

And you called this „not abandoned“ any time in the last years ?

Skitch came to EN by buying it. It was then lukewarmly integrated, and left alone. It still is the technical level of 10 years ago - just notice the crappy graphical quality.

There are more modern apps, and since Import Folders came to the Mac, integration is no argument any more.

As I said, Shottr is the best (= much better) alternative I have found. Try it, and name a single feature the Skitch does better !

• 2 months later...

I've encountered a similar issue while attempting to capture a Crosshair Screenshot on my iMac using the Shift-Command-5 shortcut and Skitch. Specifically, when selecting the frontmost app window, like Safari, the resulting screenshot displayed a perplexing blank screen with a solitary Notification popup in the upper right corner. It seems that the presence of a Notification interferes with the expected screenshot outcome. I've observed this occurring consistently, and while dismissing the Notification allows for successful capture, it's inconvenient if I wish to retain it. To work around this, I've had to meticulously drag Skitch's crosshair cursor from one corner of the desired app window to the opposite diagonal corner, provided it's visible.

This issue might be more widespread or specific to certain apps, and it reminds me of a similar quirk I encountered with the Loklok App for Windows. Just as with the Skitch problem, attempting to capture a screenshot of the Loklok App window sometimes resulted in a blank screen, obscuring the actual content of the app. It's essential for developers to address such inconsistencies, as users often rely on efficient screenshot tools for documentation and sharing, and unexpected behaviors can disrupt these workflows.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Charlesbaines said:

users often rely on efficient screenshot tools

I'd suggest Skitch no longer qualifies since it's apparently not been updated much this past decade.  Have you tried Shottr?