Shared notebook shows private tags that don't exist in shared notebook, and can't leave notebook.

so1era

Idea

I am using Evernote Pro, and I've also created a Free account with a different email address to test the functionality of sharing. 

I shared a notebook from the Pro account to the Free account, and lots of personal tags that don't exist in the shared notebook are showing up. If I click on one of the tags, no notes show up --- of course, since no notes in the shared notebook have the tag. This would be horrible if I were to share a notebook with a client.

On top of that, when I try to "Leave" the shared notebook from the Free account, it says I have left, but it doesn't remove the notebook OR the notes (OR the tags of course)!

4 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Welcome to the forums.  There is a lot of misunderstanding of how the sharing stuff works with Evernote.

What is important to remember is that the creator of a note that shares it remains in control of that note.  So, if you share a note with your tags with another account your tags do, indeed, appear in the shared account.  This isn't intuitive but it is the way they are.  Personally I'd like the software to add some identifier to the tag to make it clear that the tags are external.  In the past I used to add a suffix to tags I used for sharing.  eg: accounts_ags  I would store the notes in a unique notebook.  Actually, that has some additional benefits.

When ceasing to share a note it is important that the owner first of all unshares the note before he/she does anything with it such as deleting.  Once it is unshared then the recipient should find the note has gone.

One of the advantages of using a notebook is that instead of sharing a note you can share the notebook with colleagues.  Anything you drop into the notebook is automatically shared. Remove the note from the notebook and sharing stops.

• Level 5

Just to mention: If you share a notebook, only tags that are already assigned somewhere in this notebook can be assigned by others to other notes. 

This can even lead to a visual duplication of tags. Say somebody has a tag „2023“, and you share a tag „2023“ as well. Then the receiver of the share will see 2 tags „2023“, without a chance to tell which is which.

So best practice is to share only tags with a distinct tagging system, like adding an „s“ for shared in front of the tags in the shared notebook.

4 hours ago, agsteele said:

Welcome to the forums.  There is a lot of misunderstanding of how the sharing stuff works with Evernote.

What is important to remember is that the creator of a note that shares it remains in control of that note.  So, if you share a note with your tags with another account your tags do, indeed, appear in the shared account.  This isn't intuitive but it is the way they are.  Personally I'd like the software to add some identifier to the tag to make it clear that the tags are external.  In the past I used to add a suffix to tags I used for sharing.  eg: accounts_ags  I would store the notes in a unique notebook.  Actually, that has some additional benefits.

When ceasing to share a note it is important that the owner first of all unshares the note before he/she does anything with it such as deleting.  Once it is unshared then the recipient should find the note has gone.

One of the advantages of using a notebook is that instead of sharing a note you can share the notebook with colleagues.  Anything you drop into the notebook is automatically shared. Remove the note from the notebook and sharing stops.

The strange thing with the tags is that it is showing tags that are not in that shared notebook. It is populating my FREE account with tags I have in my PRO account from other, not-shared, notebooks.

And if I share a notebook, then want to unshare the notebook, I need to unshare each note, rather than to simply unshare the notebook itself?

I would expect if I unshared the notebook, it would remove the notebook, all notes that were shared through that notebook, and all of the tags that were brought in from that shared notebook. 

My experience with Evernote sharing:

If you expect it to work like, say, Google Docs, where sharing mostly "just works" and is intuitive once you understand the fundamentals, you will be disappointed. There may be some scenarios in which Evernote's often un-intuitive, kludgy, ad-hoc and poorly documented approach to sharing is useful. For example, if your team is already on Evernote and is thinking of leaving it because of lack of sharing features, Evernote's sharing is probably good enough that you can avoid the inevitable pain of migrating. On the other hand, if you are a team new to Evernote that is trying to use it specifically for sharing,  you'll be disappointed.

Bending Spoons and RTE (real time editing) could be the beginning of Evernote finally getting it's sharing act together...only time will tell.