Shared Master Note with backlinks to other shared notes not visible to people

Hi. I used Evernote to create a note/report for each coaching session I have with clients. They do NOT have Evernote and I do not expect them to. So I SHARE links with the coaching participant. But then I share the link with their leader as well since the leader has paid for my services. 

All works well as I share the link for each person's notes in an email.

Well...when fully done, I want to provide a MASTER NOTE with a table of links to ALL the participant's notes. So I share that note and they can OPEN the Master Note, but then when they click on any link inside the note it takes shows them a page to log in or create a note. It simply doesn't work anymore. Why is this happening? The whole purpose is to allow an easy place to store the notes for them. It is like the person cannot access "sub note links" inside the master note. 

YET...if I send a note to a person and have a sublink the sublink to the backnote works. 

Why is it not working in each instance?

Backlink within a master note NOT working.jpg

Backlink within a note working.jpg

21 minutes ago, ABCDemas said:

It is like the person cannot access "sub note links" inside the master note. 

YET...if I send a note to a person and have a sublink the sublink to the backnote works. 

Why is it not working in each instance?

I've come across this problem. There is an answer but it is somewhat tedious. Your master note needs to contain the share urls not the normal note links. That means finding each share url and pasting them into the master note. EN will automatically add the note title.

Here's an example https://www.evernote.com/shard/s317/sh/750e089b-acdd-9db5-31ed-b2edd6c0f0c4/Gwr9nSX1wC1WrDNl7eUyqxcM0KV1N4oTSCx9bTMf-pTaRhMaDugIQSwiqA

This will not work without some more preliminary work because whilst sharing a note means to create an URL the access the shared note. Such URLs start with the  string https://www.evernote.com/shard/...

Within you master note EN uses URLs of type evernote:///view/... to reference other notes.

So if you plan to share a master note and some other note that should be referenced from the master note, you have to

• share each sub-note
  • replace the internal URLs behind the hotlinks by the shard-URLs of the sub-notes
  • share the master-note and distribute its shard-URL to your client

Doing so, will work fine from outside. But if you try to work with your master-sub-references inside your EN client, you will open a browser window for each sub-note if you click on the links within your master note.

I think this all is not what you really want to do 😞

Maybe it's easier to share a whole notebook with you client (readonly) and place only notes that are of interrest within this notebook. But this requires that your client has to work with Evernote to read all the notes... 

• Level 5*

Wouldn't having a notebook for each client help?  Share the notebook to the client (+ leader),  then move copies of the appropriate notes into that notebook.  All the notes are then shared automatically and the Table of Contents links should (maybe?) work.  (Needs a proper test with the current version but I believe this layout has worked for me before...)

48 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

replace the internal URLs behind the hotlinks by the shard-URLs of the sub-notes

As I explained above when you paste the share url into a note, the note title is pasted with the share url behind it. That simplifies the process slightly.

45 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Wouldn't having a notebook for each client help?

Probably, but the OP did say

1 hour ago, ABCDemas said:

They do NOT have Evernote and I do not expect them to.

51 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

But if you try to work with your master-sub-references inside your EN client, you will open a browser window for each sub-note if you click on the links within your master note.

That's what I most struggle with. You really need an internal TOC note for you to find the notes within EN as well as the external published TOC note with links to the share urls.

Ah...you are correct. So you have to go to each original note and use the SHARE button again and copy that link. I see what you mean. When I hover over it you see the URL instead of the name of the note. That is a pain but it is the workaround.

The challenging thing is there is no VISUAL CUE in MY Evernote note that I have or have not done it correctly (other than hovering over it). ENHANCEMENT IDEA, please.

But now when I email and test as a non-Evernote user, I see the link is PURPLE for them instead of green. I updated and all works but it isn't a seamless process. I hope this can be an enhancement.

Backlink within master note that was a copied shared link vs slid in.jpg

28 minutes ago, ABCDemas said:

Backlink within master note that was a copied shared link vs slid in.jpg

This is what I was trying to explain. You are right though that without hovering over the link you can not see that the link is to the share url and not to either the internal link or the web link.

I agree that this is an area ripe for enhancement, especially since EN removed the publishing of a whole notebook. I would expect "share" to be one of the bulk actions available when you select multiple notes (like copy internal links). It would be great if you could share the selected notes and copy the share urls to the clipboard in one step. This would obviously only be possible for the default share option (anyone with the link can view).  Given that the V10 mantra is "why do it in one step when you can do it in 5" I don't see this happening anytime soon.