Search For Open Checkboxes Not Working

I have a saved search: 

todo:false

that is no longer working.  Here is an example from a note that I have:

image.png.d84b7d2938da32e70f81e1c160ab85a3.png

And here are the saved search results:  

image.thumb.png.df248356033151e3e37b29be900664eb.png

Clearly something's not working as it used to.  Any solutions out there?

I have sent in a ticket for this issue that is impacting my workflow. When I search or use a saved search to find checkboxes with no check the results are always blank. I know for a fact I have at least 6 notes with checkboxes that are unchecked. Here is the search criteria I am using (todo:false). This has supposedly been sent to engineering but that was over a month ago.

Anyone else having this issue or found a fix?

I appreciate that but honestly I should not have to follow up on these requests more than once and I followed up once already and was told they sent it to engineering. It’s now been 2 months. I will follow up but again should not have too.

On 8/22/2023 at 2:28 AM, chukpen said:

Macbook Air, Ventura 13.4.1, Evernote 10.60.4

Just tested on Mac same EN version and it works normaly. Just quick idea, could it be that in search option notebook is chosen and not Everywhere option.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill!, i have the same problem for months and I have the feeling it is not on top of list of "support" ...very frustrating because it is affecting my workflow in a serious way.

Mac Ventura 14.4.1. Evernote professional 10.61.10  (maybe that was the moment this happend a few months ago when I upgraded from personal to professional....not sure) 

Hey @gazumped Thanks!  yes frist time on 28-11-2022 yes 2022 few time in between Last time 2 days ago., this reaction was months ago. and I got some more of these useless messages....

I manage our Technical Support  I'm reaching out to let you know that your request has been escalated to our Technical Support team and we'll be following up as soon as we can. Normally we are able to respond within one day but right now we are seeing more ticket volume than usual and it may be two or three days before we are able to respond. I wanted to let you know about this in advance Thanks for understanding and my sincere apologies for the delay. We will be with you as soon as possible.
Director of Technical Support

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on response / solution of Evernote. They wrote me it has their attention. ... 10  months toime for fixing an issue that worked 10 years before... it involves my workflow in a hudge way.... SO NO USER FORUM YOU MAY NOT CLOSE THIS TOPIC AS YOU SUGGESTED :-)

2 hours ago, BvH said:

Still waiting on response / solution of Evernote. They wrote me it has their attention. ... 10  months toime for fixing an issue that worked 10 years before... it involves my workflow in a hudge way.... SO NO USER FORUM YOU MAY NOT CLOSE THIS TOPIC AS YOU SUGGESTED :-)

BvH - I'm in the exact same spot as you. It's extremely frustrating.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, BvH said:

SO NO USER FORUM YOU MAY NOT CLOSE THIS TOPIC AS YOU SUGGESTED

Caps lock failure too,  huh... you might want to read my helpful post here... https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/148039-are-you-new-here/

The new owners took over a bare 10 months ago,  so grudges going back 10 years are pointless.  If you have an issue I'd recommend

1. reporting it (as you have),  and 
  2. finding a way around it,  since the team have some sensible priorities in getting basic security and reliability issues fixed before they get into anything else.

If you wish to remind Support - after a reasonable interval - that you've still not had a result,  that's fine;  but I used to run one of those teams and one of our biggest frustrations was the yahoo users who peppered us with constant reminders - it's like a kid's "are we there yet?" query every mile or so down the road and just about as helpful.  Please believe that these people are professionals (and people) who are doing their best and don't need more aggravation than they already have...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/30/2023 at 10:20 AM, gazumped said:

Caps lock failure too,  huh... you might want to read my helpful post here... https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/148039-are-you-new-here/

The new owners took over a bare 10 months ago,  so grudges going back 10 years are pointless.  If you have an issue I'd recommend

1. reporting it (as you have),  and 
  2. finding a way around it,  since the team have some sensible priorities in getting basic security and reliability issues fixed before they get into anything else.

If you wish to remind Support - after a reasonable interval - that you've still not had a result,  that's fine;  but I used to run one of those teams and one of our biggest frustrations was the yahoo users who peppered us with constant reminders - it's like a kid's "are we there yet?" query every mile or so down the road and just about as helpful.  Please believe that these people are professionals (and people) who are doing their best and don't need more aggravation than they already have...

Gazumped - I'm going to respectfully disagree because this is an issue that affects workflows and frankly was working several months ago prior to Bending Spoons taking over. If it was a cosmetic issue or a new feature there could be some lag to getting it fixed and I might then agree with you. I've been a part of several mergers and acquisitions and not working the existing backlog of issues is never something I've seen happen. In fact most of the time the new regime wants to pick off some small bugs to make progress as well as work on the larger issues at hand. I don't dispute they are professionals and work hard - we all are. If I took something away /broke a feature my customers previously had and they complained I would immediately find a fix.

I will continue to press them on a fix and timeline so no need to respond with that as a solution.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  I think what you may have here (as they say) is a failure to communicate - if you search help for 'checklists' you get this - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313618 which has the right heading,  but actually refers to checkboxes throughout.  It may be that when the 'old' Evernote team introduced the new checkboxes they intended to deprecate 'lists' but never got around to it.

If you check an exported ENEX file,  the good old-fashioned checklists come up as en-checked:true/false,  where a checkbox is en-todo checked="true/false".

The new guys may not even appreciate that there is a difference unless it's explained to them - 

checklists.jpg.44f3b6fe684e7006618d99223e4fc439.jpg

A 'todo:<x>' search will find checkboxes,  but no longer finds 'lists - so everyone using 'to do' systems that depend on 'lists is a little stuffed for the present - there's no way (AFAICS) to even find notes containing checked or unchecked lists.  There are some options with contains:list / contains:task etc,  but I don't see (on my current version 10.62.5) anything that will show me notes containing checklists.

I'd recommend using 'boxes rather than 'lists in the future - and using Tasks where you can.

EDIT #1  I dumped this onto Support too - my ticket is #3759760 if you want to tag it onto your own reports. 

Reading through this thread again I lost track of whether we're talking about 'lists or 'boxes,  so just for the record - my Windows desktop 10.62.5 finds checkBOXes just fine with a 'todo:true/false' search.  I can't find a way to find checkLIST notes using any normal or AI searches - the only apparent difference is in the ENEX file.

EDIT #2 Writing my own explanation of the difference between these two objects I found that if you create a checkbox item and hit 'return' at the end to add another line,  the checkbox turns into an unfindable checklist,  as do any other checkboxes in the same group.  Outstanding!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Reading through this thread again I lost track of whether we're talking about 'lists or 'boxes,  so just for the record - my Windows desktop 10.62.5 finds checkBOXes just fine with a 'todo:true/false' search.  I can't find a way to find checkLIST notes using any normal or AI searches - the only apparent difference is in the ENEX file.

I don't do such a search as part of my regular work, but reading over this thread recently I made a couple of short test notes, and found to my surprise exactly what you say. My brand-new "Test checkLIST" note sat there at the top of my notes list, with both checked and unchecked boxes, and search would not find it. Let us know what support tells you.

• Like 2
On 10/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  I think what you may have here (as they say) is a failure to communicate - if you search help for 'checklists' you get this - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313618 which has the right heading,  but actually refers to checkboxes throughout.  It may be that when the 'old' Evernote team introduced the new checkboxes they intended to deprecate 'lists' but never got around to it.

If you check an exported ENEX file,  the good old-fashioned checklists come up as en-checked:true/false,  where a checkbox is en-todo checked="true/false".

The new guys may not even appreciate that there is a difference unless it's explained to them - 

checklists.jpg.44f3b6fe684e7006618d99223e4fc439.jpg

A 'todo:<x>' search will find checkboxes,  but no longer finds 'lists - so everyone using 'to do' systems that depend on 'lists is a little stuffed for the present - there's no way (AFAICS) to even find notes containing checked or unchecked lists.  There are some options with contains:list / contains:task etc,  but I don't see (on my current version 10.62.5) anything that will show me notes containing checklists.

I'd recommend using 'boxes rather than 'lists in the future - and using Tasks where you can.

EDIT #1  I dumped this onto Support too - my ticket is #3759760 if you want to tag it onto your own reports. 

EDIT #2 Writing my own explanation of the difference between these two objects I found that if you create a checkbox item and hit 'return' at the end to add another line,  the checkbox turns into an unfindable checklist,  as do any other checkboxes in the same group.  Outstanding!

Thanks! This is helpful and getting us further. I think @Gazumped  you misunderstood me. Maybe because of English is not my native lanquage. I am respectful for people who are working hard and was only responding to my support question for te second time in 10 months. (with auto reply's)  This because it is a real problem in my workflow. So not a child on back of seat asking again and again if we are there 🙂 Going to test te things you mentioned. Never found out the [] only inclosed them from the possibility's that are shown above the note... So now I can start thing about a way around it. Much appreciated. Also thanks @BillJohnson for thinking with me!

• Like 2

Hey! Testing...The task option to get my workflow a bit as it used to be back is mmmmm.. als the task that are checked (in this case booked in my admin-system) still show up. And because this is a test there are only a few notes. But this does not work when i have 1500 notes completed ( show an endless list to scroll)  🙂 Although the filter is set on "Task not completed" See screenshot. Going to try other things

Screenshot_2023-10-04_at_08_33_54.jpg

Hey all !

This I received from support. Id did not change anything.... so the issue stiil persist. I did answer.

We're happy to inform you that we have just released a tentative fix for the issue you kindly reported.
To take advantage of this fix, you're welcome to update Evernote to the latest version.
Please try using Evernote after the update, and kindly let us know if the issue persists.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1