Unsusably slow can't "split" notes or copy paste images to other note

I started a subscription so that I could have larger notes - but then my main note became practically unusable - it is very slow, often won't start up at all. Alltogether my app is extremely slow and often won't load/react at all. So far a long time now I've had this banner saying the note is very large and I should consider splitting it. I finally gave in - but there is no split function that would instantly solve the problem of the note not loading. I have to now manually copy paste the content from the note that isn't loading to one's that are loading better ...

I was able to copy paste some information to new notes, but now I tried to cut and paste screenshots, which are major culprits in the note being so large, into a different note.
Instead of pasting the screenshot however it pastes the last text copy I made. This has led to a loss of screenshot!!! Now I'm trying to copy and then paste instead of cutting - same problem. So now I need to manually download every screenshot, delete it, and re-upload it. What a complete waste of my time to access my content from the "one-note-for-everything" tool I'm paying a subscription for. Please solve this!! there should be a way to select content to move into another note or make it's own note

• bforberetta changed the title to Unsusably slow can't "split" notes or copy paste images to other note

You should be able to duplicate the note, then just delete the content from each copy that you don't want to keep.

Right click on the note in the note list and select 'Duplicate', or click the '...' button in the top right-hand corner of the note and select 'Duplicate'.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bforberetta said:

I was able to copy paste some information to new notes, but now I tried to cut and paste screenshots, which are major culprits in the note being so large, into a different note.
Instead of pasting the screenshot however it pastes the last text copy I made.

There is a long standing issue with copying and pasting a mixture of text and images into other applications, but at the moment (10.60.4) copying into another EN note is working for me. However the logical shortcut to use (alt+ctrl+V), which should simplify the process, is not working. If you can't copy individual images I would check whether the image really is on the clipboard by pasting it to Word for example. Also it is always worth checking if you get the same problems on the web version.

2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

You should be able to duplicate the note, then just delete the content from each copy that you don't want to keep.

I used this technique even in older EN versions because handling very large notes has not been the strength of EN 😉

Don't know how EN10 handles indentical embedded files in different notes. Legacy did not really copy attachments - what makes the process of duplication very fast. I hope this is true for EN10 also...

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Don't know how EN10 handles indentical embedded files in different notes.

I've had the need several times to copy some content from one note to another,  and for me it has always worked perfectly - tables,  attached files,  blocks of text... the target note displays the content on completion,  and the source also shows the highlighted copy area which I can then delete.

(Caveat:  stuff always seems to work well for me but not necessarily for others.  YMMV!)

17 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I've had the need several times to copy some content from one note to another,  and for me it has always worked perfectly

Yep, worked OK in almost all cases. Sometimes I saw that after copying attachments from one note to an other and then changing anything on that attachment (name, content), the change was done on the original and the copied version.

That means that EN has only one copy of the file (to save space) and manages references to it. But because a user is not aware of this if he/she tries to change it, a change operation has to create a physical copy to keep the original (or "other") version intact.

This "late copy on demand" failed in some rare cases. I'll have a look into this in future 🧐

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, AlbertR said:

That means that EN has only one copy of the file (to save space) and manages references to it. But because a user is not aware of this if he/she tries to change it, a change operation has to create a physical copy to keep the original (or "other") version intact.

Would have thought it's bad practice to have two copies of anything anyway...  but that's a whole other thread. :huh: