Any info about resolving the the problems with slow loading notes / loss of data due to slow sync etc?

bobbybob

Idea

I've been using Evernote's desktop version for about 10 years and now, 50.000 notes later I'm about to leave if there are no upcoming solution to the extreme slow loading of notes, slow deleting of notes, slow sync that causes loss of data when I switch between notes. 

The earlier versions of Evernote was extremely efficent to work with and the fast note taking, sharing and updating was very valuable. 

Now it often takes me 30-60 seconds to load a note, same with deleting a note. Sharing often does not work or respond, until I try to retry sharing it. 

Evernote often locks and shuts down with error message appearing "Restart" or "Quit". Then I get a javavsript error message on restart. 

Of course I have the newest version. Of course I have been in touch with Evernote earlier. And all "tricks and tips" in this forum read and tested. 

Anybody out there who knows if there will be solutions for this? I feel like I've been trying to resolve these issues from time to time last years, so now I guess it is time to get a final fix for these problems or to stop using Evernote. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 replies to this idea

What device and version?

I take it you've tried doing a total uninstall using something like Revo which uninstalls 'everything'?

I know it doesn't help but I've not had any of these issues. Every once in a while a note take 2 or 3 seconds to show but never had Javascript errors.

I'm wondering if its a dodgy install?

I got the same Problem, on all devices including Evernote Web. I got lots of Notes with one Image an bit of text, the Text is loading but the Image does not load (thouh  I see the Image in the preview) and I experienced data loss because of this in the past when editing a note. I opened up a support ticket and will report if there is a solution, but this is a no Go for using Evernote in the future for me, too.

Support pointed me to Version History for Restoring an older Version with the missing Image included, that helped me to get back my Image so I cpuld add it to another note. Btw. I also encountered a javascript error one time. With this Workaround (and support working fine) I will further enjoy the Evernote services ;) I don't know if this is helpful for bobbybob but wanted to share it here.

I've been an Evernote user for over 10 years and was part of the professionals program also, featured on their blog etc. Staunch supporter. Put customers on the platform. Support has been at best unhelpful and lately completely unresponsive on open tickets. Yes I understand they are doing mass redundancies and relocating their support but it is 2023 and remote support teams are a norm not an exception.

What's worse though is the amount of data loss that is occurring and that data is not always retrievable from notes history. Performance in every version of the app on every platform (which we all routinely use) is suffering across the board particularly with the launch of live editing a feature many of us have been waiting patiently for. It has resulted in single notes, under the same GUID existing in different states across different clients and platforms. 

As a user who routinely put 20'000+ documents into the platform in a month with one setup we did for a client we applauded the ability for Evernote's base functions to be so robust and even if their were client or server side sync or cloud issues, the local storage on your Mac or PC client always had you covered and space-permitting you could always access all your data. Now you might be working with a note that is created on the client, synced to the cloud, but subsequently looks like a previous version - editing it overwrites the more up-to-date cloud version and you get data loss. I've video'd, screenshotted and tested this with support ad-nauseum with no response or indication of when it might be fixed in sight.

This is an appeal to Bending Spoons to at least be up front about what is going on at Evernote. All well and good to bring in a well overdue price increase but to then provide less support? The Evernote platform in our experience has never been as broken as it is now. Evernote has no direct competitor when you start to use it and extend it as some of us have, but everyone has a line and if it is no longer suited for these purposes clients like us have a right to know that we should look elsewhere for solutions for our teams.

• Sad 1

@Dave-in-Decatur thanks for that pickup. I've installed that client on two machines thus far and while I can report that sync does seem to be operating a bit faster now, the issue of note preview differing from the note window and the server-side version still persists. I'll drop into Federico's DMs! 

• Level 5
12 hours ago, Matt-W said:

the issue of note preview differing from the note window and the server-side version still persists

I'm not sure exactly what you're seeing, but in my experience having an image show up in snippet or card view long after it has been deleted from a note (for instance) was happening all the way back in Evernote 6.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:49 AM, Jon/t said:

What device and version?

I take it you've tried doing a total uninstall using something like Revo which uninstalls 'everything'?

I know it doesn't help but I've not had any of these issues. Every once in a while a note take 2 or 3 seconds to show but never had Javascript errors.

I'm wondering if its a dodgy install?

Hi Jon/t! 
Actually after recent update(s) / new versions the solution is solved here and my Evernote works much, much better. I did first do as you suggested to remove all, (absolutely all) Evernote files using a few tools (it took several hrs). But still after this and doing the re-install the program had the same issues. But then a couple of weeks later after the two new versions of the software were automatically updated, Evernote now works very good. Hopefully it will remain this way for a long time now. 

Cheeers

• Like 1