Automatic updates disturbing workflow

Normally when I scan a document with my Fujitsu scanner, it loads directly into Evernote.

Sometimes (and way too frequently), I get a "ready to install Evernote update?" pop-up, and my document disappears into the ether. How do I stop this, or what is Evernote doing to fix this?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Since updates happen roughly every couple of weeks and usually involve a polite "would you like to update now or later?",  you appear to have a local issue,  maybe a corrupted install.  What is your device,  OS and Evernote version?  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

• Evernote Expert

This sounds like a glitch between the scanner software and the import into Evernote.

In addition to @gazumped's excellent questions I'd also ask what scanner software are you using including version.  In general I'd say that the best way to scan into Evernote is using the scanner software to save into a folder on your computer which is linked into Evernote as an Import Folder rather than attempting to scan directly into Evernote.

Fujitsu is in the process of depracting its older ScanSnap Manager software in favour of the ScanSnap Home software.

• Level 5

I can only second the idea to use the Scan to Folder process. Don’t scan directly into an Import Folder, because it will import several versions of the growing scanned file.

I scan, then rename the file to the title I want to give the note, and then save this file into an Import Folder. It imports, and the note has the correct title right away, which saves some rework.

• Evernote Expert

Yes, I have shortcuts to my various Import Folders inside my default scanning folder.  That way I can quickly drag and drop into the folder which is the chosen final destination.

I'm using a Windows 10 pc and an fi-7160 using Scansnap Manager for fi series software. I have tried reinstalling Evernote.

The scanning profile is " Scan to Evernote". I don't recall if that was a profile that came with the software, or if I made it custom. In any case, the files are saved to a folder and I've had no issues with growing files.

Maybe this happens more than once every few weeks because I refuse the update. Either way, once every few weeks is too much. It it apparent that EN is blocking the scans.

• Level 5

If you don‘t update, and this interferes with your scanning because you insist on a specific scanning method, you are on your own. Simple as that.

The way we have proposed is independent from this scanning method, and not hampered by updates.

1 hour ago, maschked said:

I'm using a Windows 10 pc and an fi-7160 using Scansnap Manager for fi series software.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but what version of EN are you using? More recent versions quietly download the new version and give you a warning in the sidebar that a new version will be installed when you restart. Older versions tended to be more agressive. Current version is 10.59 and the behaviour changed in 10.50 - see snippet of the release notes quoted here:

• In the past, a screen would pop up annoyingly to let you know when an Evernote update was available to you. But now it'll wait patiently in the background until you're ready.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, maschked said:

It it apparent that EN is blocking the scans.

The ScanSnap Manager application isn't receiving updates so it is possible that it hasn't been updated for whatever changes on either side need to have been made.

I scan into Evernote from ScanSnap all the times without incident. So I doubt Evernote it's blocking anything.

But there link between the two independent pieces of software may need to be tweaked.

Best, though, to switch to ScanSnap Home and configure as suggested to use Input Folders.

• Level 5*

I have an old version of ScanSnap Manager set up to scan to folder,  but there are several options of scan to different files types and destinations.  It's possible that if you haven't looked at those settings for a while,  that software is no longer set up correctly.  It's worth a check.