Collapsible sections in notes and dynamically linked content

Mats

Idea

Overview in notes would greatly benefit from having collapsible sections where you can expand / collapse part(s) of the note. 

Example use cases in notes:

• Shorter summary text or title, with collapsed details below.
  • An image, with a collapsed section below for more detailed content, whether images and/or text.
  • A list, with a collapsed more detailed sub-list, text or image(s).

The collapsed content could be within the note itself, or perhaps dynamically linked content from another note. This could enable structuring notes in a hierarchical way.

I'm imagining a neat graphical horizontal arrow-marker, that when clicked changes direction downwards and displays the collapsed section. Perhaps with a stretchable box with scroll bars so that one can decide how much visual space the expanded box should take.

• Like 2

15 replies to this idea

Yeah there is a notion of fixing problems however, if features are not able to be implemented to support growing use-cases then retention will lower and also incoming customer-base will decrease too. Which is counter-intuitive to the goals of any business really.

• Like 1

Collapsible sections are kind of already implemented. I have been using the encryption feature for this. After encrypting note content, it collapses to a one line block, then you can reveal/hide it as you wish, but you do have to give it a password. The password can be as simple as one character and only required once until you close the app; you don't have to enter it every time you reveal/hide the content. A limitation is that you can only have text in the section. It can be formatted text, but no files, tables, bullet lists, or other types of content.

I Wish Evernote give an answer why they canno give toggle content... it will our life easier, So now i thinking to move to Notion, but Evernote does not allow me to study better! Come on, you app save in their NOTES, to take notes.. but is not dong that purpose for me, because collasible or Toggle info is very crucial took keep things clean and organized! Why? no comments from EVERNOTE?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, kolombito said:

Why? no comments from EVERNOTE?

This is a user forum and they don't typically respond here.  It would be best to feed this comment back to Evernote directly.  I would also like section toggles added.  Maybe they will be added in the future.  At least two of us will be happy about it.

• Level 5
15 minutes ago, kolombito said:

Why? no comments from EVERNOTE?

The forum is user2user - comments are very rare here, and usually it is on critical issues (like the last server outage), not on the latest gimmicks and gadgets.

Use the feedback option in the app or a support ticket.

On 7/29/2023 at 5:03 PM, PinkElephant said:

And ? That it didn’t arrive means it is technically a major undertaking.

Currently I prefer all devs working on the known issues, instead of inventing new features.  

I wonder how you know all this. Do you have information from the development team that they did an analysis of this feature and consider it too difficult to implement? 

• Level 5

Have you ever watched at the code behind a note ? What you see is a fraction of what makes up a note. Each note is a small website.

It is not hard to understand which changes would be necessary to „section“ it. And when you do, you need first the UI elements and an extended search index for the section markers to make use of it, and second the change need to be confirmed to work client- and server-side without negative impacts.

I really don’t need to ask a dev about it. Probably I just underestimate the consequences.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Have you ever watched at the code behind a note ? What you see is a fraction of what makes up a note. Each note is a small website.

This is exactly what many of us let come to "that's easy - why don't they do it?":

• Internal links are made of <a name=...> and <a href=...>
  • Collapsable sections are made by <details> <summary>...</summary>...</details>

Probably they overestimate consequences? 🤔

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is not hard to understand which changes would be necessary to „section“ it. And when you do, you need first the UI elements and an extended search index for the section markers to make use of it, and second the change need to be confirmed to work client- and server-side without negative impacts.

I really don’t need to ask a dev about it. Probably I just underestimate the consequences.

really? i'm a software engineer and what you say makes no sense. others like Notion have had toggle lists for years. is EN code so outdated that it takes a major effort to implement what is by now practically trivial CSS? (i have no idea what "extended indexes" you're talking about).
btw, confirming an added feature works as expected is normal QA, not the gargantuan task you imagine it to be. how hard can it be to confirm that a toggle list works in a number of scenarios both in the clients and in the major browsers?

so i  understand if this feature is low on the priority list because there are other more important ones ahead. just don't tell us stories about the great complexity of a collapsible list in 2024.

• Level 5

Notion is build around a database. The data model is in large parts build by the user.

EN is build around HTML code. The data model is ingrained into the software.

Do I really need to spell out the differences ?

36 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Notion is build around a database. The data model is in large parts build by the user.

EN is build around HTML code. The data model is ingrained into the software.

Do I really need to spell out the differences ?

no need to spell out the differences. this means that EN doesn't have a modern text rendering system and relies on some outdated xhtml in which everything is static and button elements are either unimplemented or unable to be made dynamic programmatically. so you're right, a big job. and pretty sad. 

• Level 5

You have anything to contribute ? I mean anything new and convincing ?

First I felt belittled by you, and now you add a foul sense of smack comments on it ?

Sorry, but I perceived a little feedback would be useful for you (long term, maybe).

20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You have anything to contribute ? I mean anything new and convincing ?

First I felt belittled by you, and now you add a foul sense of smack comments on it ?

Sorry, but I perceived a little feedback would be useful for you (long term, maybe).

i apologize. in my last post i was agreeing with you:  if their core text rendering is antiquated HTML as you say, this feature may be a big lift for EN. not very encouraging.