Idea: EN Tasks task manager app

RFrenchie

Idea

The typical task workflow with apps like Things and Todoist don’t translate well to the EN app. 
I think it would be nice to have a separate app “EN Tasks” that looks and feels like a typical task manager app and is fully synced with EN. 
So if you create tasks in EN they show up in the EN Tasks app. And if you mark a task done I’m the task app it updates in EN. You get it, right? 

• Like 1

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, RFrenchie said:

“EN Tasks” that looks and feels like a typical task manager app and is fully synced with EN.

...In which event why do you need EN at all?  Not sure where the company is going with its tasks integrations,  but you won't (IMHO) see them adding new separate apps for years,  if ever... 

• Like 1

Oh for sure. There’s not breath holding over here. 
But I could envision a nice system I.e. using PARA to categorize tasks and being able to see the note title associated with that task, or associated tags. Perhapsou could click the note link in the task manager and open it in EN etc. 

Bending Spoons can just acquire a task manager and go from there, right? 💩

• Level 5*
Just now, RFrenchie said:

Bending Spoons can just acquire a task manager and go from there, right?

LOL I think they need to spend a bit of time digesting this acquisition before they go on the prowl again...  and actually I use another app for tasks and happily link to and from there to jump between them.  Evernote is my 'detail' store and the other one is dates and quick reference.

Same. Switched to Things recently and have been happy with it. EN’s task function could just be better 😂But I use it similarly to you. Repository for all things notes, capture, filing etc. 

• Like 1

I think it's a great idea creating a separate app for EN tasks. The functionality integrated in the main EN app makes the process slow to manage the notes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, poaw said:

I think it's a great idea creating a separate app for EN tasks.

There are probably several hundred different apps in that market,  and anyone who is already using one will be unlikely to move across to an Evernote version.  Don't see how it could be cost-effective for Evernote to develop a separate app.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, RFrenchie said:

But are notes really actionable...? Isn't that what a task is?

Well, a task can only exist inside of a note... it is part of the note. As such it makes the note actionable.

• Like 1

Still just an actionable task. That we slapped into our note. 

But honestly I'm just trolling. I hear y'all. There are other apps and that's what I'm using too. But I'm lazy and would prefer a single note/task ecosystem. And I don't really like the task functionality as it is rn in EN. *shrug*

On 7/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, gazumped said:

and actually I use another app for tasks and happily link to and from there to jump between them. 

I actually have a question about that. I have always wondered about the security of the link to an outside system like Todoist or TickTick. Like a bad player couldn't use that link to get to anything else in my EN account could they? I'm not implying anything I just really dont know so I have held off. Anyone here know?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, silentquest said:

I actually have a question about that. I have always wondered about the security of the link to an outside system like Todoist or TickTick. Like a bad player couldn't use that link to get to anything else in my EN account could they? I'm not implying anything I just really dont know so I have held off. Anyone here know?

As long as both apps have reliable security,  jumping from one to the other won't create any additional risk.  My comment was written nearly a year ago though,  and Evernote did not have a diary or a task management system of its own.  Now you can avoid any external risk by using those internal features.