Chat Alway Offline

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Why is the chat function always offline? What is the reason for having chat if it is never working? When you pay so much for the program, it would be nice to get some reliable technical help in a timely manner.

Roy

• Evernote Expert

The chat function was only ever available during West Coast USA working hours. It was taken off line in May when the RTE sorry load became significantly higher. I think to allow the support team to focus on the Email traffic via the support ticket system. That is still operating as normal.

• Evernote Expert

I don't think that chat will be back very soon. Possibly in a month or two. In the meantime support tickets are all that's available other than asking for help from fellow users.

Is Evernote doing so bad financially that they can't keep the chat feature going, and that it takes so long to get tech support to fix problems via email??? Is Evernote going to go under? Close down as a business?  I don't think there are any Evernote podcasts anymore. They also don't acknowledge suggestions for improvements and the improvements they are adding don't really do much for the user and the users don't really care about them. Should I be looking for a different note keeping/taking program????

Roy

• Level 5*

Are you aware that Evernote was sold to a different company earlier this year?  I sincerely doubt they bought it just to close it down.  They recently introduced a new sync technology that when ironed out will be a good thing but is currently resulting in a lot of support tickets.  That is their priority at the moment.  As far as having a plan B, it is always good to have a plan B just in case.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
26 minutes ago, Roy Breiling said:

Is Evernote doing so bad financially that they can't keep the chat feature going, and that it takes so long to get tech support to fix problems via email??? 

I doubt it is anything to do with the financial position. Just too many tickets to manage with chat included. There have been a number of times in the past when chat has been suspended. I imagine it will, eventually, return.

• Like 1

@Roy Breiling -- Good questions for a fun discussion! Here are my opinions on them...

Is Evernote doing so bad financially that they can't keep the chat feature going, and that it takes so long to get tech support to fix problems via email???

• I don't think so. Bending Spoons is actually in the process of greatly ramping up profits by trimming Evernote staff and raising prices. Perhaps there is less focus on support than there once was because of trimmed down staff.

Is Evernote going to go under?

• I don't think so, but they were acquired by Bending Spoons as s2sailor already pointed out.

Close down as a business?  

• I don't think so

I don't think there are any Evernote podcasts anymore.

• Looks like it has been 5 years since they did podcasts. IMO, those probably had questionable return on investment.

They also don't acknowledge suggestions for improvements...

• If the forums are any indication, it looks like it has been this way since the beginning.

and the improvements they are adding don't really do much for the user and the users don't really care about them.

• [Edited to add and clarify this point] I guess I beg to differ on this one. Sure, there are lots of new features I don't use or care for (like Home, Calendar Integration, AI Cleanup) and old features (web clipping), but I find the Tasks feature really helpful as well as the new RTE sync. I also love the unified look of the app across all platforms. The new Backlinks are a big plus as well. There are more.

Should I be looking for a different note keeping/taking program????

• Depends on if Evernote works for you well enough now and is worth the increase in price. If it does and is, I think you are in just as good hands as before. If not, I'd say find something else.
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Boot17 said:

@Roy Breiling -- Good questions for a fun discussion! Here are my opinions on them...

• I don't think so. Bending Spoons is actually in the process of greatly ramping up profits by trimming Evernote staff and raising prices. Perhaps there is less focus on support than there once was because of trimmed down staff.

Is Evernote going to go under?

• I don't think so, but they were acquired by Bending Spoons as s2sailor already pointed out.

Close down as a business?  

• I don't think so

I don't think there are any Evernote podcasts anymore.

• Looks like it has been 5 years since they did podcasts. IMO, those probably had questionable return on investment.

They also don't acknowledge suggestions for improvements and the improvements they are adding don't really do much for the user and the users don't really care about them.

• If the forums are any indication, it looks like it has been this way since the beginning.

Should I be looking for a different note keeping/taking program????

• Depends on if Evernote works for you well enough now and is worth the increase in price. If it does and is, I think you are in just as good hands as before. If not, I'd say find something else.

Is Evernote doing so bad financially that they can't keep the chat feature going, and that it takes so long to get tech support to fix problems via email??? Is Evernote going to go under? Close down as a business?  I don't think there are any Evernote podcasts anymore. They also don't acknowledge suggestions for improvements and the improvements they are adding don't really do much for the user and the users don't really care about them. Should I be looking for a different note keeping/taking program????

Roy

• Level 5
  • Solution

Features are not important, in general. Only those features are important that you actually use. And then it’s often the nasty little details that will bite you.

So identify your use cases, identify apps that support exactly these, and then simply run a trial, with a few notes.

It must fit your use cases, not general ones.

• Like 1