Can no longer set the format for the Insert Date shortcut in the new Evernote (desired: "7/6/23", not "July 6, 2023")

RapidDev

Idea

Is there any way to get the new Evernote (for Mac) to change the format of the text inserted by the "Insert Date" shortcut (instead of using a third party tool)? I want "7/6/23" which Evernote Legacy can do. I do not want "July 6, 2023", the only format I can get in the latest, newest Evernote (10.58.8-mac-ddl-public (4175), Editor: v172.19.3, Service: v1.69.5)

7/6/23 <— This is the desired format that I have been using ever since I started using Evernote in 2009, up through Evernote Legacy.

July 6, 2023 <— This is the only format I can get in the latest Evernote, which I don't want and cannot change.

Ever since I started using Evernote in 2009 (14+ years), when making entries in individual notes, I would precede each entry within a note with the date in "7/6/23" format. That way, if I wanted to see all the notes with entries made on a particular day, I could simply search for the text "m/d/yy". I am not talking about the date created or updated for a full note. I want to find all notes with any entry dated in the "m/d/yy" format.

Evernote Legacy on the Mac still allowed you to choose the format of the text inserted by the "Insert Date" shortcut.

See attached file for Evernote Legacy Insert Date options.Evernote Legacy allowed choosing format for Insert Date.pdfEvernote Legacy allowed choosing format for Insert Date.pdf

The new Evernote does not allow you to choose the text inserted for the date shortcut. If you expected "7/6/23" instead you will get "July 6, 2023".

Any solution besides just going back to Evernote Legacy? (Also Evernote Legacy still has multiple tabs, another feature sorely missed in the new Evernote.)

10 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

This has been discussed many times since the arrival of version 10. Those who need this typically run a text expansion program such as AHK (Auto Hot Key) or Text Expander.

It's like a suspected, a third-party tool to get Evernote back to doing what it used to do.  Of those two options, AHK (Auto Hot Key) is Windows only.  I use a Mac.  Text Expander supports both Mac and Windows, but would be another $40 to $100 per year, just to fix the date format issue.  For now, I will just type in the date, one character at a time to get the desired format (7/7/23),  or... switch back to Evernote Legacy again and put up with the constant nagging to update to the latest and greatest at almost twice the previous subscription price.

• Level 5

On the Mac you could try PopClip. It allows among others Date and Time insert. Can’t check out in the moment if it can do what you want, traveling with iPad only. It’s a menu bar helper, one time purchase.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, RapidDev said:

or... switch back to Evernote Legacy again and put up with the constant nagging to update to the latest and greatest at almost twice the previous subscription price.

Of course, you will have the increased price regardless of which version of the app you decide to use.

I know.  They already told me they do not provide discounts from the new $129.99 subscription price for military retired, seniors, or life-long users of Evernote. And no refunds either.

Will cancel Evernote after current subscription is up. This same keyboard combination produces the numerical date format in other text editors. It keeps getting more expensive but not more useful. 

• Level 5

The formats with regional deviations simply follows your system settings. What’s wrong about it ?

If you want more control, use a tool like Text Expander or PopClip. It not only useful for date entries, and it works cross all apps.

I also preferred the legacy numerical format for inserting dates.

And the "just use this (paid) 3rd party tool" responses aren't great solutions.

At the prices Evernote now charges (which are absurd for individual use, especially for a program riddled with longstanding bugs), Evernote shouldn't be taking away options like this. Mobile is a key use case for Evernote, so the extra characters used by the [Month dd, yyyy] format don't make sense to me as default behavior. As far as system settings are concerned, the longer format might make more sense for (e.g.) letter writing in Word, but I'd argue not for a notes app where conciseness is often key. Provide an override or a 2nd keyboard shortcut! Seems like an easy win.

Please Evernote, please add a menu function(!) for inserting a date that inserts the current date at the point where the cursor is currently positioned (title or text). And in the format as it is stored / configured in Evernote(!). And across all platforms in all clients. Web included.

The wish for this has been around for years. All users are trying to find a workaround depending on the platform. But this is not a solution because it requires a cross-platform solution. Please finally make these users and me happy ❤️ 

It is one of the key features of Evernote to provide cross-platform note creation and reading. Sorry, this simple feature (inserting the current date) has been denied to users for years. I use Evernote native clients on multiple platforms (MacOs, Windows, Android, ipadOs) + web in a personal and professional context and sometimes the computer belongs to me or my client. I am happy that Evernote gives me the freedom to access my own notes in any case.

I'm pleased that the development of new features has picked up again. Please keep up the good work. Best regards