Hi,

Since the last (or the previous) version, the app is using A LOT of CPU while doing nothing. It is responsible for 80% of my batterie usage.

Here's a screenshot of the activity monitor. This CPU charge is constant, never goes down. I tried did the lastest upgrades, reboot etc.

Anyone experiencing this as well?

Cheers,

Arnaud.

Capture d’écran 2023-07-04 à 09.20.49.png

Capture d’écran 2023-07-03 à 15.59.13.png

Capture d’écran 2023-07-04 à 09.29.50.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been experiencing periodic high CPU usage on MacOS as well. It's one of two constant issues I'm having with Evernote Desktop on MacOS (the other being task completions not saving / not recurring).

I've uninstalled twice with AppCleaner over the last several weeks, but the problem persists. There are a few different threads on this issue in the forums. I hadn't seen this one before. I also have this same issue on my other Mac and I've also uninstalled once on that machine using AppCleaner as well.

@apflieger Thanks for informing that customer support confirmed that it's a bug.

I'd rather not publish their message (I don't want them to regret to talk to their customers).
They didn't gave me a date for the fix nor workarounds. Since it was 2 months ago and they said they were working on this in a urgent manner, I don't think they talked about the same issue i'm having...

Edit: well, they suggested to use the web app instead of desktop apps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

Whenever my desktop client behaves badly, I make a full uninstall using the app AppCleaner. Then a restart, a fresh install from the website, login, and everything is back to normal.

Never had such a high CPU, however. It may go up to 60%, very briefly on some actions, to 20-30% on other actions. Regular is 3-6% on idle.

I've been having this for over a year. It seems to come and go. I've contacted support on several occasions and jumped through hoops just to find out it's a bug they're planning on fixing. Then it crops back up.

I love Evernote and I don't want to jump ship, but this is getting ridiculous. I can't keep closing an app I use all day long because it's killing my machine.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 2.03.21 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I always wonder if it’s a bug (= caused by a reproducible, systematic root cause) why it neatly works around my little island of Mac-ish harmony and comfort.

My Macs are all on the latest Ventura, and on the latest EN version, one powered by Intel, the other by Apple silicon - but my CPUs aren’t stressed by helpful EN helpers that would make my transistors burn. Just the opposite, on idle everything is running nice and cool.

For me it is still a loop, that causes the same nonsensical routine to run again and again. But maybe the devs will wave a magic wand, and then we will all know.

I've also experienced this issue for over a year or more.  I'm running on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (and can't upgrade any further due to iMac being out of support).

However, what I have noticed is that the 100%+ cpu usage does seem to occur more frequently if you have been editing a note and leave your text cursor in the note - i.e. it remains open. 

The other aspect I'm aware of is that I'm logged into Evernote on several devices (iPhone, MacBook) - so wondering whether it's some kind of sync issue?

Other than that, it's tricky to reproduce, just seems to kick in randomly and consume every scrap of cpu cycle it can on the desktop versions.  Easy to spot when it happens are the fans kick in after 30 seconds.

Would appreciate a statement from support on when we can expect a fix, or it's going to be a new solution for me.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sekrof said:

Would appreciate a statement from support on when we can expect a fix, or it's going to be a new solution for me.

Hi. Have you contacted Support directly?  This forum is mainly other users and has no connection with the main support team.  While Evernote's new owners appear to read posts here,  they're also very busy working on speed,  reliability and (apparently) AI features at the moment,  and there are a lot of posts here.  You'll get a much quicker reaction - albeit still taking a few days - if you talk to Support:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Cristiana Tisca said:

I have also been experiencing this issue for months now. Makes me want to migrate to another note taking app as it is quite annoying.

Hi.  Have you tried the fix described above your post?  Raised this with Support?

• 4 weeks later...