• Level 5

The EN audio player is mainly designed to replay audio recordings made with the app itself. It doesn’t use mp3 at all for its own recordings.

It may be the mp3s are different, for example in the bit rates or the version (not sure there are mp3 versions …).

To find out, you can export all mp3 files to the Finder and see if you find a pattern. The easiest way for a full export is to export the individual note to HTML.

All attachments will be in a subfolder of the folder created by the export.

Or contact support …

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The EN audio player is mainly designed to replay audio recordings made with the app itself. It doesn’t use mp3 at all for its own recordings.

It may be the mp3s are different, for example in the bit rates or the version (not sure there are mp3 versions …).

To find out, you can export all mp3 files to the Finder and see if you find a pattern. The easiest way for a full export is to export the individual note to HTML.

All attachments will be in a subfolder of the folder created by the export.

Or contact support …

thansk again for your resonse. 🙂

I have been using Evernote for years to play my own MP3s, although I posted recently that Evernote 7 has stopped doing so ( " plugin unavailable")

And yes, I exported two contrasting files to Desktop and could see no difference, at least from 'Get Info".

Maybe there's a buffer full somewhere? I'll contact support

pete

• Level 5

Yes, to contact support is the best next step.

About the plugins: These were resources provided by MacOS to all installed apps, including EN. Since Apple tries to keep their OS lean, and security tight, they occasionally remove plugins that haven't received an update, or seem to be abandoned by their developers. 

In this case the combination of Apple removing the plugin with a Ventura update, and legacy being deprecated it removes a whole block of functions from the app when the plugin is taken away from macOS. It's just one sign that the clock is ticking on EN legacy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 12:25 PM, PinkElephant said:

Yes, to contact support is the best next step.

About the plugins: These were resources provided by MacOS to all installed apps, including EN. Since Apple tries to keep their OS lean, and security tight, they occasionally remove plugins that haven't received an update, or seem to be abandoned by their developers. 

In this case the combination of Apple removing the plugin with a Ventura update, and legacy being deprecated it removes a whole block of functions from the app when the plugin is taken away from macOS. It's just one sign that the clock is ticking on EN legacy.

I've been using v7 alongside v10 as they seem to track eash other, edit by edit, either way. I assume this means a common DB.

I've been doing this because v7 gives me local links 🙂

Sadly, after some fiddling because of other disk problems, v7 no longe tracks v10.
prior to this disengagement, will they have been using a common resource, and if so, where might it find it?

pete

• Level 5

There is still a common database on the server - if it is not in sync anymore, there might be an individual problem.

The problem is that v10 has switched to another syncing technology. This means a permanent conversion between v10 and legacy data structures - all on the server.

We „frequent users“ here in the forum are since a while warning against using v10 and legacy in parallel any more.

What is the specific problem in your case you better find out by asking support.

1 hour ago, peterlemer said:

I've been doing this because v7 gives me local links

Are you talking about creating a hyperlink to a local file? If so, v10 can do this.

Or are you talking about local only notebooks? (Because, yes, there are no local only notebooks in v10.)

• Like 1
On 7/13/2023 at 8:56 PM, Boot17 said:

Are you talking about creating a hyperlink to a local file? If so, v10 can do this.

Or are you talking about local only notebooks? (Because, yes, there are no local only notebooks in v10.)

How do I get v10 to hyperlink to a local file, please? I've been waiting for that feature since v10 emerged from its egg...

pete

Yes - like Pink said.

Here is an example.

One of the ways you can get the full path name of a file from Finder is like this:

image.png.b0ce3a8f795936293643831bf1d44ca3.png

What gets copied to your clipboard is something like this: /Users/[USER_DIR]/Downloads/CBO - Academy of Model Aeronautics.pdf

Then you add "file://" to the front of that to get: file:///Users/[USER_DIR]/Downloads/CBO - Academy of Model Aeronautics.pdf

Then. you can add it as a link like:

image.png.46c53e38c60c5f6e251141382e25626a.png

Then you'll see this when you click on it:

image.png.b178c2c2526759b74ed4e67e1b7c34ed.png

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You can try to add a file:///pathname/filename as „URL“ to make a link yourself.

Can‘t try at the moment, the Mac is not where I am.

Please try, and let me know if it works for you?

pete

20 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Yes - like Pink said.

Here is an example.

One of the ways you can get the full path name of a file from Finder is like this:

What gets copied to your clipboard is something like this: /Users/[USER_DIR]/Downloads/CBO - Academy of Model Aeronautics.pdf

Then you add "file://" to the front of that to get: file:///Users/[USER_DIR]/Downloads/CBO - Academy of Model Aeronautics.pdf

doesn't work for me. Are you on mac or PC?

7 hours ago, peterlemer said:

doesn't work for me. Are you on mac or PC?

I'm on both and it works for me on both Mac and PC. These screenshots I pasted above were from Mac though. Which version of Evernote 10 are you trying it on? IIRC it didn't work with some of the earlier releases of version 10.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:56 PM, Boot17 said:

Yes - like Pink said.

Here is an example.

Hi Pink, thanks for your patience and feedback.

I followed your advice and didn;t get the result you get.

I attache 3 pics:

1. My version of your screenshot

2. My note with the name of the link

3. After clicking the note, my response from Evernote

Evernote, despite me clicking on 'link' and file:// etc gets me a window offering me an attachment, not a file.

I want the folder.

Any ideas?

pete

Screenshot2023-07-21at21_08_10.thumb.png.de610aef8abf7cceda67af40b5675bcf.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 21.07.24.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 21.07.51.png