10.58.8 Release Notes

This patch should address a few more of the data loss / spinnning cursor situations.  Please post if you're still experiencing spinning cursors and if you have steps to reproduce it.  More issues will be addressed in 10.59.

16 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Thanks.  For our awareness, is 10.58.8 expected to address the task update delay problem?

I believe they were addressed on the backend in the RTE service.  I don't think you should be seeing them any more.  You still having issues?

• Level 5*
Just now, RMorgan said:

You still having issues?

Yes.  I was still seeing it on 10.58.5 intermittently. Wait times up to a minute. I will check out the new version and will submit a ticket if I still see it.

• Level 5*

@RMorgan, the problem still exists on 10.58.8.  I just tried again on this new Mac release, and the very first task I tried to check off never updated. After a couple of minutes I received the error message: " Failed to update note status." I tried again about 10 minutes later and it worked fine.  Ticket #3704697 with attached log created.

• Level 5

The selection of several copies is there, it‘s just somewhat hidden.

Use „Print note“, then go to advanced settings, and use the „Print through the system dialogue …“ option. Maybe it’s called differently, I’m not on an English system setting:

SCR-20230626-wxt.thumb.png.c78ef3a6f4cc3fcb00a6c93fe3a432d8.png

• Like 1

The 10.58.8 release dialog box said there was new print functionality. It took me awhile to find it, but it turns out that I can now use the System Dialog Box from the Print Note function on MacOS. Wow, that is so great. I have been complaining about the printing errors since Oct-2020, starting with v 10.1.7 build 1902 and support tickets such as

Ticket# 3413346 - Re: Ticket# 3306342 - 6 months of Printing problems

thank you thank you thank you I can finally print a note longer than a few pages.

• Level 5

The length of a Print-out has never been a problem for me. The question here was to select a number of copies.

In general I agree that adding the printer system dialogue is a welcome improvement of the print note function.

• Like 1

I installed the new 10.58.8 Mac version yesterday - and yes, unfortunately, I am still seeing the issue of a loading spinner and PDFs were changed to "Unnamed Attachment" (in German: Unbenannter Anhang). They are now gone! I already submitted a support ticket. I really need these important attachments back!!!! 🤯

• Level 5

Oppps - you should contact support.

Some hints (most assuming that you are on a subscription)

How is the empty space on your Mac - plenty or relatively little ? We have a feedback from EN staff that low local storage can lead to data loss.

If you check on the web client: Everything still there, or missing attachments as well ?

Did you try a log out, quit the app and log in again ?

• Like 1

I currently have 20 GB free space. It's a new Mac mini M2.

I checked on the web client and it's missing there as well.

I quit the App and re-started it. Then at least that green Evernote spinning/loading wheel (which appeared instead of my PDF attachment) was gone and the remaining PDFs were there and functioning again. However, two attachments seem to have disappeared forever, they are now "unnamed attachments". One had 6MB when I opened the note, now it has 0MB.

What strikes me is that even the note restoring function isn't helpful! In one case, the one note (which only had 1 PDF attachment) was created in 2021, but the note history doesn't go back to that date and only offers today's date. In the other case, the other note had 3 PDF attachments. 2 PDFs are there, but one is missing. And when I restore a version from the year 2021, it only has 1 PDF inside, but not the other 2. What's happening there?

• Level 5

20GB is very little. If the Mac starts swapping RAM, or the system runs an indexing, or updates require temporary files, your SSD will rapidly run out of available space. 

For a smooth operation I wouldn’t go below 50GB of free space.

The free space on my hard drive is more or less managed by Apple's iCloud (with my Photos and iCloud files) being synced automatically. Is there a way to tell Apple/iCloud to say: "I want at least 50 GB free disk space?" This would be interesting for all Evernote users, IF this is really the reason for the issue.

• Level 5

No, there is no way for this. It shouldn't be necessary. When EN needs a little more space (it is usually added in chunks of a few MB, note size), it will take it. The automatic balancing will take note of it, and move something else off the drive.

• Level 5

There are 2 options for iCloud Photos. One is full resolution storage only in iCloud, the other is full resolution on device.

With the first you have previews on the Mac. If you select a picture, there will be a small delay because the full res needs to be downloaded. But it wIll save a ton of storage on the Mac. The second saves everything on the Mac, which will need much more space.

A third option would be to move the Photos library to another drive. Only recommended for users who know what they do, and probably less so for mobile devices.