Notes get marked as updated just by reading it in v10.51

Hi

I experience that notes are marked as updated just by reading it. I have tested and I have not clicked on the “Edit-button” on the note,
Just opened it and moved to another note. Happens on both iPhone and iPad.
Enyone else experience the same?

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming, Pink Elephant. 
I tried to search the forum and got several posts regarding the update date, but I quess I'm not good enough in searching. Sorry for adding an unneccessary post.
I am not happy with it so I have now issued a support ticket.

14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes. I tried and can reproduce it.

Honestly? To me it was a no-go that tagging changed the updated date because it's often used temporarely during researches (but seems to be fixed now).

But simple reading of a note is for sure not a reason to change the updated date! This is for sure a BUG on iPhone and iPad (on Windows it is OK: no change...). 

Hi
I got this reply from Evernote Support:
"I can confirm that this is a behavior we are aware of. Our development team is tracking this issue and diligently investigating a potential fix that can be made through Evernote as soon as possible. Though I am not able to let you know when it will be fixed, rest assured that this issue is already being looked into by our team."

Let's hope it will be fixed rather soon!

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

UPDATE: ... I think I've figured it out and fixed the issue for my situation. I have been running the legacy EN Desktop version on my Windows computer .. I finally bit the bullet and permanently switched over to the latest EN Desktop version today. I believe my "Date Last Updated" issue was caused in some way as a result of the new Sync process implemented earlier this year and that the legacy app still used the old Sync process.

Here is what I did --  installed latest Windows Desktop release on my computer - went in via my computer app  and touched/viewed every Note in every Notebook (I'm only partway done with this, but I've done about 600 Notes so far) - after each Note was viewed, the "Date Last Updated" was automatically changed to current date - this occurred for about 95% of the Notes I touched/viewed - closed down my Desktop app - opened iOS app on my iPad - waited for full sync to occur - then switched to different Notebooks (that were "fixed via touch") and viewed various Notes & Voila! now the Date Last Updated is not being changed just by viewing!  Yay!

ORIGINAL POST: I reported this issue as a Ticket to Support on May 6 2023 - it is now Nov 29 2023 and there is still no resolution - On June 7 2023, support indicated to me that this is a known issue. My last request for an update was submitted to Evernote Support on Nov 21 2023, but I have yet to get any response at all (probably due to the Support Restructuring going on).

Issue: The Date Last Updated is being changed when I just View a Note. I consider this a serious issue with major impacts to the content management process. Viewing and Editing a Note are core and basic features that I would expect to be working as designed. This issue happens on both my iOS tablet as well as my iOS phone.

As of Nov 21 the issue is getting even worse with the latest iOS software updates (I am running the latest Evernote and iOS OS versions on an iPad Pro 12.9 (2021) and an iPhone 12:

Additional Issue 1: The Date Last Updated value gets changed to the current date for the first Note displayed in the View when I open a particular Notebook - I haven’t even tapped on any note in the view yet.

Additional issue 2: I have the “Edit Protection” setting enabled - however many times, my Notes are automatically put into edit mode when just single tapping on a place in a Note - which then also causes the Date Late Updated value to be changed to the current date.

Evernote Support Response History:

-- Response June 27 2023: My name is Jonathan with Technical Support and I will be taking your case from here. I have read over your correspondence, and I am familiar with the issue. At the moment I do not have an update. But I will bring this issue up with the product team to see if we can get some traction on it. To be honest I thought this would have been fixed by now. Hopefully soon.

-- Response Aug 7 2023: As per checking, this issue was already escalated by the previous support who assisted you. And I can see that this issue is still under investigation and our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We are really sorry for the trouble that this brings you. I know how this affects your workflow and I will put this to urgent concerns so they can prioritize it. 

-- Response Oct 11 2023: I understand that you would like to follow-up on the issue you've previously reported with us. I appreciate your extended patience and understanding this matter. Please be advised that you continue to experience the problem for the reason that it's a known issue that we're still fixing right now. Until a version update with the permanent fix has been implemented, please expect that the problem remains present in your app. Also, I wanted to let you know that our team is doing their best to address and fix all the raised bugs on the new Evernote app. In addition, while Evernote is still a developing application, please also know that our team is working on continuously improving the app to become a better platform for all of its users.

Edited by luvmyc6
Updated to add info re how I fixed this issue for my situation
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I can‘t reproduce this any more, and I think it was solved a while ago.

When I open a note on my iPad in viewing, the „Updated“ date is NOT updated. The same when I go to edit mode, and tap right away on another note, or when I go into edit mode, and tap the green checkmark to end edit mode again. The „Updated“ date remains the same and is not renewed.

Only when I edit, or when I change something like adding a tag, the „Updated“ date is changed to the actual date and time.

Make sure your client is updated - I tested on EN 10.61 on my iPad with iOS 17.1.1.

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I can‘t reproduce this any more, and I think it was solved a while ago.

Make sure your client is updated - I tested on EN 10.61 on my iPad with iOS 17.1.1.

EDIT 3: ... I think I've figured it out and fixed the issue for my situation. I have been running the legacy EN Desktop version on my Windows computer .. I finally bit the bullet and permanently switched over to the latest EN Desktop version today. I believe my "Date Last Updated" issue was caused in some way as a result of the new Sync process implemented earlier this year and that the legacy app still used the old Sync process.

Here is what I did --  installed latest Windows Desktop release on my computer - went in via my computer app  and touched/viewed every Note in every Notebook (I'm only partway done with this, but I've done about 600 Notes so far) - after each Note was viewed, the "Date Last Updated" was changed to current date - this occurred for about 95% of the Notes I touched/viewed - closed down my Desktop app - opened iOS app on my iPad - waited for full sync to occur - then switched to different Notebooks (that were "fixed via touch") and viewed various Notes & Voila! now the Date Last Updated is not being changed just by viewing!  Yay!

EDIT 2: Nope ... issue is still occurring alot  -- open a Notebook view, click a Note for view, click [back] to get back to the view, the viewed Note now has the "green sync" in the top right corner and date last updated was changed. 

EDIT 1: Hmmmm .maybe it's fixed for me, but still need to do more testing, sometimes it doesn't do it and sometimes it does  .. I logged out of the iOS app on my iPad and logged back in  (I usually never log out so maybe that was holding my app back from being actually fully updated...?)

Previous comment: Gee I wish it was fixed for me ... I always update to the latest versions of EN and iOS before I test the issue ... issue is currently still happening today (Nov 29) on my iPad with EN 10.61.0 with iOS 17.1.1.

Edited by luvmyc6
Updated to add Edit 3: how I fixed issue for me
  • 3 weeks later...

This bug continues to be an issue with current Mac version of Evernote (10.68.2). It has happened to numerous notes in my Evernote app this week (December 2023). I click on a much older note and it immediately moves that note to the top of the notes list adding the current date without me adjusting anything within the note. I want my earlier notes to remain with the original date when it was entered. There was a workaround when they still allowed folks to use Evernote Legacy in concert with regular Evernote. You could go into Evernote Legacy to correct the dates on the notes and they would again appear correct in the current version of Evernote. But they killed off Evernote Legacy so now there is no way to adjust a date of a note back to the original date. Hopefully this will be fixed and they add that functionality to the current modern Evernote. 

• Like 1