Text lost during Sync

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Hi All,

I am using the free version of Evernote Legacy on my PC and iPhone.

Yesterday, 5/14/23, I was not working from home, so I was on my macbook. I opened up Evernote, and I was prompted to unsync a device, which I did (my phone).

I'm pretty sure that most things got synced up, but I have a particular note called "Waiting For", which usually has entries as far back as 2019, suddenly has been reduced to 8 items, going only as far back as 5/9 this year, and up to 5/12.

I tried not to freak out, and also did not make any changes to the note.  I see another "Waiting For" in trash, but the entries only go up to 4/27 of this year, and I'm pretty sure I've made entries on the original note since then.

When I got home, I check the note on my PC, and unfortunately, it's the same 8 items.

Does anyone know what might be the problem, or how to resolve this?  I was thinking about getting a paid membership for a month just so I could hopefully get help from the Evernote Team.  This is for my business, so any help would be appreciated!

I have the same issue...  I just lost 3 hours worth of writing ... all in the same note. On my ipad.

was writing for 2-3 hours earlier today (ipad app - connected).

I came home .. same ipad ...

I noticed the synch icon in the corner of the note. and that the note had NONE of my changes in it ... it was 9 hours old.

after if finally synched ... it was still 9 hours old ... lost all my changes. checked my otehr devices... yup the old note is everywhere.

And unlike you - i AM freaking out.

So lookign forward to the price increase that goes along with that fabled overhaul they just made. They must be so proud.

I wonder if there's any plans so re-imburse people for losing work time due to evernote glitches.

• Level 5*
  • Solution
2 hours ago, cornell2 said:

I wonder if there's any plans so re-imburse people for losing work time due to evernote glitches

Hi.  Very unlikely,  because one query here is about the no-longer-supported free Legacy app and someone exceeding the device limit,  and yours seems likely to be a sync issue using a mobile device on a huge editing session when your interenet connection could have dropped and reconnected several times.  

These Forums are mainly user 2 user but subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and all users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or via the feedback option where it is available). I'd suggest you both need to contact Support for assistance with these issues.  In the case of @Matthew DePasquale,  yes it would be helpful to subscribe,  even briefly;  you'd resolve any devce issues and get the support you need,  plus access to previous versions of your note.

Some related help pages are here:  Tips for troubleshooting syncing issues  |  Understanding the device limit | Use note history to view older versions of a note

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Matthew DePasquale Just to mention a contradiction: „This is for my business …“ doesn’t match with using the Free plan. 

You said you were asked to unsync a device. Content not synced to the server gets lost when unsyncing the device. 

On all plans note history runs in the background. On a paid plan you get access and can restore earlier versions of a note. 

This should at least allow to recover anything prior to the latest, probably unsynced changes.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@Matthew DePasquale Just to mention a contradiction: „This is for my business …“ doesn’t match with using the Free plan. 

+1 to that. A paid subscription will get you so much more -- multiple devices, version history, tasks, calendar integration, support -- it would be crazy not to get the full features if business depends on it. I think Free is good for casual use.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, gazumped said:

These Forums are mainly user 2 user but subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and all users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or via the feedback option where it is available). I'd suggest you both need to contact Support for assistance with these issues.  In the case of @Matthew DePasquale,  yes it would be helpful to subscribe,  even briefly;  you'd resolve any devce issues and get the support you need,  plus access to previous versions of your note.

Some related help pages are here:  Tips for troubleshooting syncing issues  |  Understanding the device limit | Use note history to view older versions of a note

Thank you for the info and suggestion!  I've signed up for a paid membership, and will contact support.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Matthew DePasquale said:

Thank you for the info and suggestion!  I've signed up for a paid membership, and will contact support.

I think the best part immediately about that is that you'll be able to now access Evernote on the web which better reflects what the server has as far as information goes.  This will allow you to do some of your own troubleshooting better without running afoul of the device limitations. Although generally rare, the clients can get out-of-sync because of the offline capabilities and having a copy of their own data.

And then contacting support as well.

Good luck - Hope it works out for you!